Tosaint Ricketts

Obinna

I always thought he was under-appreciated.  He showed up for us every time we called and always did whatever we needed. I remember in his later. Games where he came in and harassed their defenders like a madman for the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game to prevent them from pushing forward.  Plus he scored goals for us when we were in a pretty dark period.  

Guy was an important player for us when we weren’t a big time team.  

46 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Didn't the team all go to his parents' restaurant in Edmonton last year, during a camp when he wasn't even called? He's clearly very well regarded within the playing group, as well as the supporters.

Yes I believe they did, between the Costa Rica and Mexico games.

13 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I always thought he was under-appreciated.  He showed up for us every time we called and always did whatever we needed. I remember in his later. Games where he came in and harassed their defenders like a madman for the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game to prevent them from pushing forward.  Plus he scored goals for us when we were in a pretty dark period.  

Guy was an important player for us when we weren’t a big time team.  

Like several other guys of his generation, he toiled abroad to forge out a career before returning home.  I always have a ton of respect for those types of players and he is another.  Good luck in your new career path in the game, Tos! 🙂

Edited by BearcatSA

If there was one Canadian (still playing) that I would have loved see rewarded with a World Cup roster spot, it would have been him.  Not that I agree with bringing in players that don't warrant the call but he was a  bit unlucky and unfortunate to just be phased out of this group in recent years.  But, despite that, he still accepted every call when called upon, even if it was just for a Camp Poutine.

I also have a soft spot for Tesho as well for very similar reasons.

Edited by Corazon

16 hours ago, toontownman said:

Onesoccer has missed a trick not signing Ricketts to their team with or instead of Wilson. Maybe he has signed with TSN. Thought he was great at the world cup. 

Wonder where what he has planned next.

I prefer Wilson over Ricketts as a commentator at this point.  Thought I saw something about Ricketts joining Whitecaps front office?

4 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I prefer Wilson over Ricketts as a commentator at this point.  Thought I saw something about Ricketts joining Whitecaps front office?

As commentator or panelist? Not sure I have heard Ricketts commentator. Thought he was just a great fit in the studio though. Professional, insightful, opinionated only when needed but also much more natural charisma than I was expecting.

Right from day 1 it looked like Ricketts was more comfortable and natural at the desk that JDG is even now.  But I agree I liked Wilson best of the newish guys in studio.  

As a player he was frustrating, he would get onto long balls, make chances and then sky them 20 rows deep.  But no denying he was scoring for us when goals were hard to come by.  He was always very likeable and its nice to see him continue on either in broadcasting or with VWC's office.  

I always like him. Not the best technique on the ball, but very fast and could get on the end of crosses into the box. Chipped in with plenty of goals for Canada and TFC, including being a super sub in TFC's magical 2017 season. I liked him in the World Cup coverage too, much better than I was expecting and I agree that he seems more comfortable on camera than JDG. When I saw he retired I assumed he would go into broadcasting. Hopefully he gets there sooner or later. In terms of OneSoccer former players I would put him a bit behind Wilson, but ahead of Dunfield and Hume (I don't dislike those guys though).