Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

On January 6, 2019 at 7:52 PM, Grizzly said:

If one of his parents is American he is legitimately American. I have no problem with him choosing them in that case but also considering us a back up option if that does not work out especially since at the current time he is not even a Canadian citizen. It only bothers me when players choose to play for countries that they have weak ties to because it is better for their career. He is a legitimate American and not even a Canadian citizen at the moment.

I see what you're saying and I agree but the things is according to FIFA rules you have to be eligible to represent the nation before being provisionally cap-tied 

For example if he does play in the U17 CONCACAF Championship for the USMNT and he doesn't have his Canadian citizenship then I'm not sure he's still able to switch 

10 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I see what you're saying and I agree but the things is according to FIFA rules you have to be eligible to represent the nation before being provisionally cap-tied 

For example if he does play in the U17 CONCACAF Championship for the USMNT and he doesn't have his Canadian citizenship then I'm not sure he's still able to switch 

You're absolutely correct Odunze would never be able to represent Canada if he played a US competitive youth match before getting Canadian citizenship. The USMNT has suffered the same fate with Diego Fagundez and Jack Harrison. Two young, promising players who spent their formative years in the US, but played competitive youth matches for Uruguay and England before obtaining US citizenship. They'll fail to make the Uruguay and England senior teams, but can never switch to the USMNT despite having US citizenship.

Odunze almost certainly will play for the US in the tournament, so he must have his Canadian citizenship by mid-April. Though if he's going on trial with a Premier League club, he has to think he has a good shot of eventually making it with the US national team.

Edited by ChuckMe92

As Caldwell always stated, "he's very athletic" which I agree with, I just think he made too many blunders and doesn't possess great footballing sense, just my opinion having watched him for years! I am real happy for him to come back from a couple of significant injuries and now he gets a chance to play at home, good luck to him!

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Victor Cabrera is in his 5th season with Montreal. I'm sure he's nearing enough time to qualify for citizenship no?

At 26, and a CB he could be a good get for the MNT.

Just passed the 4 year mark (not counting times he was out of the country) would definitely be in the mix if montreal keep him another few years and he is interested. 

Edited by toontownman

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Victor Cabrera is in his 5th season with Montreal. I'm sure he's nearing enough time to qualify for citizenship no?

At 26, and a CB he could be a good get for the MNT.

Cabrera in my opinion is neither an MLS nor a national team quality player. He has the talent to become one but we keep waiting to see that actually happen. Most Impact fans were surprised he was not let go during the offseason. It was also a surprise he started last night and he was the weak point in the backline. If he can realize his talent this year he might be someone to go after if he is interested in the national team but right now I do not think he is better than what we have.

24 minutes ago, Kent said:

Just to make sure I've got this right. This thread is 7 years old, 29 pages long, and we still haven't had any nationalized CMNT players right?

LA LA LA I'm not listening...LALA LALA LALA...fingers in ears.   Nerwinski has 2-3 years left to go, maybe he'll be useful........LA LA LA.  

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Just to make sure I've got this right. This thread is 7 years old, 29 pages long, and we still haven't had any nationalized CMNT players right?

Technically Lefevre was on here at one point, but I would say that he was more Canadian than all of these guys put together

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Only five more years? 

Isn't that the FIFA requirement now, or did they change that recently and I missed it?

(I didn't mean "just in time" in a literal sense when I said the five years would be done before 2026 in case that is what you thought I was suggesting, though it was understandable if you did now that I read my post back).

22 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Technically Lefevre was on here at one point, but I would say that he was more Canadian than all of these guys put together

OK good. So there was one guy that I believe grew up in Canada that we nabbed for 3 friendlies.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Isn't that the FIFA requirement now, or did they change that recently and I missed it?

(I didn't mean "just in time" in a literal sense when I said the five years would be done before 2026 in case that is what you thought I was suggesting, though it was understandable if you did now that I read my post back).

Sarcasm works badly on the web. My bad