Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

12 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I'm interested in Hagglund. He's been here a while and would be a solid piece and just seems like an overall good dude. Techera as well but I think that's a couple of years away still.

He's a proud Cincinnatian, so he might find his way to FC Cincinnati before he's eligible for Canada. Hope somebody at the CSA is monitoring the situation. 

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

Pretty sure he’s been quoted as saying he’s a proud ‘merican and wouldn’t play for anyone else. And I for one can respect that. 

That was sarcasm/joke. ...nobody wants him but the whitecaps 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

11 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Well if he was Canadian, he wouldn't play for the Caps, meaning no opportunity to showcase himself, meaning no caps. 

Having been in exile in Argentina for the past decade, can someone please confirm that they stil have not changed the MLS regulations penalizing Canadian players as foreigners, even for the Canadian clubs? There has been talk about changing this outrage, but I am too afraid to do update past research. There is only so much my old ticker can take.

5 minutes ago, beachesl said:

Having been in exile in Argentina for the past decade, can someone please confirm that they stil have not changed the MLS regulations penalizing Canadian players as foreigners, even for the Canadian clubs? There has been talk about changing this outrage, but I am too afraid to do update past research. There is only so much my old ticker can take.

The rules have been relaxed, somewhat. Currently any player who is signed as a homegrown through the MLS academies (after having been enrolled for a certain time) are considered domestics league-wide, as are players from CSA-approved private academies (Sigma FC being the most obvious example).

MLS has also quietly accommodated a few Canadians who fell outside of the above criteria, such as those signed via the Generation adidas program.  

In short, if you're a young Canadian player entering MLS you have a good chance of being considered domestic league-wide (especially if you're on your first pro deal). Veterans are still SOL.

• 5 months later...

For some reason I used to think Piatti was not worth adding due to his age but now I'm actually down if he gets his citizenship. I think he has been a top 5 player in the league the last few years and he scares the shit out of me as a TFC fan. He'll be 37 by the next world cup but I'm sure he'll still be a good player in his mid 30s and depth is always good.

Hagglund had a bad year like most TFC players but we can 100% use a young-ish CB like him. I don't think he's a starter for us but again, depth is always good and we especially need it at CB. Same with Cabrera I guess.

5 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Would be great to have Montreal media ask him directly of interest in CMNT...

I believe he has been asked before in interviews. I vaguely recall him saying he thought he was too old, although I can't say that with any confidence because I don't remember that well.

Regardless, I'd tend to agree with that, he's a good player, but he's going to be 34 in February and he's not an obvious starter for us. We already have loads of depth on the wing and he'd most likely just be taking minutes away from our many talented young wingers.

I especially wouldn't expect Herdman to take him up on it if the opportunity arose, he likes to use younger players and we already have a good balance of youth and experience on the team.

Edited by Zem

cmon! with all due respect, have you not watched Piatti play? Consistently one of the best players in the MLS. From an attacking play-making/creativity perspective, would be our best player today and likely for the coming two years.

Agreed - only a few years left at this level but if we could pull this off seamlessly would be a huge pick-up. 

6 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

cmon! with all due respect, have you not watched Piatti play? Consistently one of the best players in the MLS. From an attacking play-making/creativity perspective, would be our best player today and likely for the coming two years.

Agreed - only a few years left at this level but if we could pull this off seamlessly would be a huge pick-up. 

I have to agree here. We could use him for the 2022 WCQ... Can't forget his performance at Azteca in the Champions League.

Edited by Ansem