Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

43 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Is Jake Nerwinski eligible for Canadian nationalization? 

He's been over 5 years at VWFC.

Yes, it would be good to have more RB depth in case all of the following players are injured at one time:

Alastair Johnston
Tajon Buchanan
Richie Laryea
Zachary Brault-Guillard
Marcus Godinho
Junior Hoillett (He's now getting time at RWB with Reading)
Kadin Chung
Kwasi Poku
Noah Abatneh

I am past desperately hoping every foreign player playing in Canada switches to CanMNT. Even if they were slightly better than one of our first team regulars they'd have to be extremely passionate about playing for Canada for me to care. Even more passionate than an "anti Trudeau trucker" with a giant Canada flag on a 2x4 attached to their car.

8 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I am past desperately hoping every foreign player playing in Canada switches to CanMNT. Even if they were slightly better than one of our first team regulars they'd have to be extremely passionate about playing for Canada for me to care. Even more passionate than an "anti Trudeau trucker" with a giant Canada flag on a 2x4 attached to their car.

One thing concerning this is that really for a while now there's never actually any guys who are young enough and last five years on a Canadian MLS team to gain citizenship. Not to mention that they may already be playing internationally for other countries.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Yes, it would be good to have more RB depth in case all of the following players are injured at one time:

Alastair Johnston
Tajon Buchanan
Richie Laryea
Zachary Brault-Guillard
Marcus Godinho
Kadin Chung
Kwasi Poku
Noah Abatneh

He's playing CB these days. 

It's not like we're desperate but hey additional depth is good.

Edited by PopePouri

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Alastair Johnston
Tajon Buchanan
Richie Laryea
Zachary Brault-Guillard
Marcus Godinho
Kadin Chung
Kwasi Poku
Noah Abatneh

Johnston is more a full back than a right back (and he’s born to be RCB in a 3-5-2). Buchanan is a winger, specially with Laryea on the same wing. ZBG is not that good. Godinho lol. Hoilett is a winger. Chung, Poku and Abatneh I don’t know (Abatneh seems to play on the left).

Depth would be good. He’ll turn 28 in October, could give us 4-5 good years.

Edited by MauditYvon

JN is not my favorite player, but theoretically if he gained Canadian citizenship and wanted to support our program, then why not? I do agree he could cover multiple positions, but I have my doubts he gets into our squad. Besides, I think Waterman has better feet and would be a better fit, but even he hasn't been able to crack the national team yet. Camps yes, but getting that first cap has eluded him. 

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

But but but....what if they have a maple leaf tattoo?  

On 8/5/2022 at 2:15 PM, PopePouri said:

Isn't it a national pasttime on this board to cling to whatever hope and talent that may join the program.

The player first need to have talent..and needs to give us hope.  Nerwinski????  Would he be above ZBG or Godinho who cant get into camps/games??  Plus arent there all those rules about the offseason etc, so much time in canada over the 5 years etc??  Just playing for a CDN team doesnt automatically make you eligible.  

He would be 4th behind Laryea, ZBG and Godinho. 5th is you put Johnston in the mix. Would also be the oldest of that group. But why not, if he feels Canadian?

There’s nothing wrong about bumping this thread, no one said he should be called up for Qatar. I didn’t knew he could probably acquire citizenship this year, glad someone told me.