Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

Now that we have three Canadian MLS teams, there will be much more young, up and coming talent coming from out of Canada.
Another bonus is that we will now have the opportunity to nationalize some other players that don't fit into the plans of other national teams. A few of these guys could have the opportunity to represent Canada in a few years, so long as they stay with a Canadian team long enough (and stay out of the picture with their current national team).

I've added some guys that have caps as well, but aren't currently cap tied. I know some people here don't like the idea of poaching players from other countries, but the majority of these guys would never get a sniff with their national teams anyways.

Also, I am not advocating that any of these guys are good enough to start for Canada, but even depth is good to have. Players only tracked to a maximum age of 30

2013 or earlier (Eligible) Age @ Eligibility Team Notes
Evan Bush 31 Montreal Impact  
Erik Hurtado 27 Vancouver Whitecaps  

2014 (1 Year) Age @ Eligibility Team Notes
Nick Hagglund 27 Toronto FC  
Victor Cabrera 26 Montreal Impact  
Daniel Lovitz 28 Montreal Impact  
Nicolás Mezquida 27 Vancouver Whitecaps Has played for Uruguay at U15 & U17

2015 (2 Years) Age @ Eligibility Team Notes

Cristian Techera 28 Vancouver Whitecaps  
Edited by deschamp86

Pretty sure you have to have been eligible for the country you are switching to at the time that you receive a cap for your initial country. ie. if you played a youth or senior game for your first country, you had to have been eligible to play for Canada at the time you did so. That would trim the list significantly...

If we were to target future players to naturalize I would go after young Colombians, they produce a lot of good talent and as said in other threads many are willing to come to MLS and the Colombian MNT won't touch players playing in MLS so its a win win for the player since they won't be in Colombia's plans anyways.

Players who have played for another nation at youth level (or senior level) can't play for Canada unless they had citizenship before hand. This eliminates Koffie and Plata... the only two worth talking about IMO. Camilo could be interesting but by 2016 I'd hope we have some equal or better talent to keep him out of the squad, he's a good player don't get me wrong.

YAY! Let's do to everyone else's talent pool that thing that we constantly complain about when it's done to our own!!

IMO there's a big difference between naturalizing a guy that never got a shot with birth nation and a player turning his back his home country, who actually wanted him in their side, and playing for another country for careerist reasons (e.g. spurning Canada for another country in favour for a more prestigious, and thus more career advancing/remunerative, footballing nation.

Apples and Oranges.

I will make some changes to the list but I just want some clarification on the eligibility rules, I know its not exactly black and white.

Are the guys that have youth caps (and friendly senior caps) completely ineligible? Or only the guys that have youth caps in official FIFA competitions such as U17/U20 World Cup or Qualifying Rounds?

I will make some changes to the list but I just want some clarification on the eligibility rules, I know its not exactly black and white.

Are the guys that have youth caps (and friendly senior caps) completely ineligible? Or only the guys that have youth caps in official FIFA competitions such as U17/U20 World Cup or Qualifying Rounds?

I think its only official competitions because this guy played in friendlies for Ghana U18s and now plays for Qatar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Quaye

This is garbage. Sends a bad message to youth players, doesn't help development of new players, is a short term "solution" and supports ridiculous FIFA eligibility rules that no other sane sport would follow. You wanna play you gotta be a citizen. Even JDG2 did at least that much for Holland.

Frei defo. For me if Camilo is eligible sooner than later than he should be brought in. If Koffie is ever eligible he must be included. Excellent player. I suspect he'd be depth for CMNT along with guys like JdC and Stinson....maybe Cordon....he'll get bypassed by Alderson I'm sure but...still a great pick-up.

@Joe - nonsense. Regardless whether you agree with it or not, or whether I agree with it or not. Every country is doing it (except England it seems) so Canada must also. Look at our nearest neighbours.......USA. If we can, we should/must.

Frei defo. For me if Camilo is eligible sooner than later than he should be brought in. If Koffie is ever eligible he must be included. Excellent player. I suspect he'd be depth for CMNT along with guys like JdC and Stinson....maybe Cordon....he'll get bypassed by Alderson I'm sure but...still a great pick-up.

@Joe - nonsense. Regardless whether you agree with it or not, or whether I agree with it or not. Every country is doing it (except England it seems) so Canada must also. Look at our nearest neighbours.......USA. If we can, we should/must.

I agree. I kinda figured everyone would get all sensitive about this topic, but the fact of the matter is I would have much preferred keep the players that Canada had lost over these guys.

These are all mostly players that will never get a sniff with their own national teams.

And with the turnover of MLS rosters, I can't imagine that many of these guys (if any) will ever qualify for Canada.

Either way I'm glad it got some discussion going because that's the whole point of these forums and its good to see everyone's opinions on the matter.

I am going to update the list a bit though, cut off the guys that have been part of their national team set-up within the past 5 years we'll say. The one's that haven't been involved in a while are the ones that are more likely to someday be part of our system.

Anything over a year should not even be considered. 2 years? 3 years? 4 years away? So much can happen.

When this list inevitably gets bigger and more difficult to manage, I agree. For now, though, we might as well entertain ourselves with the complete list.

I know its a bit of a stretch, but Paul Munster (in the Oberliga Nord now) would only have 4 years of residency left after he cleaned up the CSL awards back in 2004.

I agree. I kinda figured everyone would get all sensitive about this topic, but the fact of the matter is I would have much preferred keep the players that Canada had lost over these guys.

These are all mostly players that will never get a sniff with their own national teams.

And with the turnover of MLS rosters, I can't imagine that many of these guys (if any) will ever qualify for Canada.

Either way I'm glad it got some discussion going because that's the whole point of these forums and its good to see everyone's opinions on the matter.

I am going to update the list a bit though, cut off the guys that have been part of their national team set-up within the past 5 years we'll say. The one's that haven't been involved in a while are the ones that are more likely to someday be part of our system.

With 3 teams in MLS now we can potentially have player movement and the players will remain eligible by staying within Canada.