Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia

The previous thread can be found here:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/78725-concacaf-u17-qualifying-guatemala-feb-2023-preparation-news/

Although the pots have not been officially announced by FIFA, they are thought to be as follows:

F0bKReLaIAMfRiu?format=jpg

Canada, as expected, is in Pot 4.

Although not yet announced by FIFA the draw is expected to be Friday, September 15th:

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/olahraga/20230831113044-142-992844/drawing-piala-dunia-u-17-2023-digelar-di-zurich-15-september

Once again, eligible kids are the those born in '06 , '07 & '08.

Will our boys get any prep matches?

I have seen news about training camps from many of the teams but (as expected), nothing about Canada.

Despite the shake-up within the ranks of the coaching staff at the CSA, we should expect that Andrew Olivieri will continue as coach.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia
1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Hope TJ is included if he is eligible

Born and raised in Canada. Plays professionally and goes to school in Canada and is an 07. No reason why he wouldn't/shouldn't be there, imo.

He is an outsider, of course, as a family that intentionally went against the grain and avoided the local MLS Academy model. But then they have doubled down on perhaps Canada Soccer's most ambitious project to date.

If the association don't consider him for selection then perhaps they don't have genuine faith in this path themselves, because there is not much else a kid his age could do to prove his worth as a promising player in Canada, unless you are the next Davies.

10 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Canada will be having a camp in Brazil as well end of the month.  Pair of friendlies with Brazil U17

Source?

Brazil just finished a U17 camp yesterday.

https://www.cbf.com.br/selecao-brasileira/noticias/selecao-base-masculina/selecao-brasileira-sub-17-e-convocada-para-periodo-de-treinos-na-granj

On 8/31/2023 at 3:24 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Although not yet announced by FIFA the draw is expected to be Friday, September 15th

The draw date is now confirmed by FIFA.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/articles/u-17-world-cup-dates-host-country-stadiums-qualified-teams-format

Friday, September 15th 10am Eastern / 7am Pacific.

18 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Canada will be having a camp in Brazil as well end of the month.  Pair of friendlies with Brazil U17

We could end up getting drawn against Brazil right before our friendly matches. That would be a weird dynamic.

York have signed Shola Jimoh to as developmental deal.

Don't know how others feel but if he plays pro minutes in the CPL he should be on the U17 team. Pro minutes trump academy every time, especially at this age group.

Adrian Ianello has also signed along with Jimoh but I'm not sure of his age. Same goes for him really.

Still baffles me that Pepple was playing pro with Cavalry in 2019 but Canada and Olivieri were like but muh academy and excluded him from the WC team.

Should note though that this is how I feel personally. I don't care about systems and who "deserves" to be there. At youth level if a player is playing professionally they should jump the line.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

York have signed Shola Jimoh to as developmental deal.

Don't know how others feel but if he plays pro minutes in the CPL he should be on the U17 team. Pro minutes trump academy every time, especially at this age group.

Adrian Ianello has also signed along with Jimoh but I'm not sure of his age. Same goes for him really.

Still baffles me that Pepple was playing pro with Cavalry in 2019 but Canada and Olivieri were like but muh academy and excluded him from the WC team.

Should note though that this is how I feel personally. I don't care about systems and who "deserves" to be there. At youth level if a player is playing professionally they should jump the line.

I missed this one. I am not following the TFC Academy as closely as usual (I don't want to make it seem like I am an expert or anything), but I thought he was one of their bright spots?

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

I missed this one. I am not following the TFC Academy as closely as usual (I don't want to make it seem like I am an expert or anything), but I thought he was one of their bright spots?

According to York he was "promoted" from their academy so I guess he left TFC?

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

But, you know, CSB and the CPL will have no meaningful impact on our national teams…

The CPL didn’t improve our 20 squad. Many on here thought our u20 team would be greatly improved due to CPL players. They were wrong.

Does the CPL have no impact on our national teams? Of course not. Has it had a big impact? No.

Just now, Soccerpro2 said:

The CPL didn’t improve our 20 squad. Many on here thought our u20 team would be greatly improved due to CPL players. They were wrong.

Does the CPL have no impact on our national teams? Of course not. Has it had a big impact? No.

Weren't the CPL players the best players on that squad?