CONCACAF U17 qualifying: Guatemala Feb 2023 ( + preparation & news )

CONCACAF has finally made the announcement:

https://www.concacaf.com/under-17s-men/article/guatemala-named-host-for-2023-concacaf-u-17-championship/

The tournament will be from Saturday, February 11th to Sunday, February 26th.

The format will be the same as the U20 tournament and the women/girls U20 and U17 tournaments.

Guatemala City and Antigua are the two hosts cities. Both are at ~1500m in altitude and February is during the dry season. We shouldn't see any waterlogged pitches and the weather won't be too hot either.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Doroteo_Guamuch_Flores

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Pensativo

---

Instead of just posting in the Class of '06 thread, we clearly need a proper thread for all the U17 kids and for general news from our CONCACAF rivals in the months ahead.

---

Eligible kids are the those born in '06 , '07 & '08.

Can someone provide us with an updated list of young guns that might get invites to training camps?

Any '08 wonderkids that can hold their own against the older boys?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Some overseas 06 players that I believe are eligible are:

Enes Sali - Born in Toronto and playing for Farul Constanta in Romania with over 20 professional games already.  Romania youth & senior international with 0% chance of playing for Canada U17.

Stefan Lazovic - Born in Toronto and playing with Radnicki Nis U17 in Serbia.  Also eligible for Serbia.

Joshua Sora Tucker - Born in Singapore but is a Canadian citizen and currently plays with Graficar Belgrad U17 in Serbia.  Also eligible for Japan.

Petar Micevic - Unsure of place of birth but Canadian citizen playing for Team Vaud U17 in Switzerland.  Potential dual national as well.

Ibrahim Higazy - Born in Ottawa and playing with Rayo Vallecano youth in Spain.  Also eligible for Egypt.

Ruben De Sa - Born in Toronto and playing with Vitoria de Guimares youth in Portugal.  Likely also eligible for Portugal.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Some overseas 06 players that I believe are eligible are:

Enes Sali - Born in Toronto and playing for Farul Constanta in Romania with over 20 professional games already.  Romania youth & senior international with 0% chance of playing for Canada U17.

Stefan Lazovic - Born in Toronto and playing with Radnicki Nis U17 in Serbia.  Also eligible for Serbia.

Joshua Sora Tucker - Born in Singapore but is a Canadian citizen and currently plays with Graficar Belgrad U17 in Serbia.  Also eligible for Japan.

Petar Micevic - Unsure of place of birth but Canadian citizen playing for Team Vaud U17 in Switzerland.  Potential dual national as well.

Ibrahim Higazy - Born in Ottawa and playing with Rayo Vallecano youth in Spain.  Also eligible for Egypt.

Ruben De Sa - Born in Toronto and playing with Vitoria de Guimares youth in Portugal.  Likely also eligible for Portugal.

Believe Ruben is a 2005 no?

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I've seen this before... final team will be named the week before, players will get together and meet each other for the first time, we won't make it out of the group and will scratch our heads at why the youth teams underperform.

I read in another thread that there is a camp starting Sunday.

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

I've seen this before... final team will be named the week before, players will get together and meet each other for the first time, we won't make it out of the group and will scratch our heads at why the youth teams underperform.

Last time we ended up getting to the WC. Granted we were embarrassing there but we did make it.

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

Herdman runs the program, that is what he's paid for. 

If he's a bit busy from now to December, fine. After that, hold him accountable.

Just now, narduch said:

He gave the youth programs to Oliveri

His choice, but still, it is a human resources decision on his part. That is just the coaching. He runs the entire programme, with his staff. 

I personally believe the CSA should decide on all our youth coaches, and make them work together, understanding the senior program is a lot of work, or enough work. But since it is not that way, since Herdman has been hired and is under contract to run it, let him also take responsibility if it doesn't go well.

two player from cf Montreal academy to keep an I (yes that is Mauro biello's son)

Other players to note 

Jordan McKenna - 1. FC Koln(GER) - Forward 2007

Ibrahim Higazy - Rayo Vallecano(ESP) - Winger 2006

Ruben De Sa - Vitoria S.C.(POR) - Central Midfielder 2006

Toronto FC Academy has lots of talented 2007 players base on what I saw from the GA Cup

6 hours ago, kacbru said:

We’re historically competitive at the u17 level. We won’t be as good as the U.S, but we have a pretty decent chance to make the u17 World Cup.

Its when we get to the u20 level that we become a heaping pile of dog crap.

10 hours ago, kacbru said:

I agree, our prep for these tournaments has to improve to a standard comparable to top nations.

Looks like they actually published their prep plans on the CSA website: https://canadasoccer.com/national-teams/excel-teams/?gender=male&teamId=2075

Seems like this camp will be five days in Montreal which is underwhelming. 

And then they have a slot for a pre-tournament camp.  Hopefully they change that so that it is more than a day long.

Sigh. I refuse to get excited for these tournaments anymore….it’s always a dry prep, a lot of hoopla and then a rough result.

I rather go back to the 2013 me who didnt know, and was excited about the young crop that could….(in hindsight be nothing but CPL players).

I won’t  expect that senior success will trickle down the youth setups anymore. Nothing has changed in our preparations, so nothing can change in the expectations of our results.

I’ve been feeling like we are in “the Belgium years” of our program…in other words an anomaly, so enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Sigh. I refuse to get excited for these tournaments anymore….it’s always a dry prep, a lot of hoopla and then a rough result.

I rather go back to the 2013 me who didnt know, and was excited about the young crop that could….(in hindsight be nothing but CPL players).

I won’t  expect that senior success will trickle down the youth setups anymore. Nothing has changed in our preparations, so nothing can change in the expectations of our results.

I’ve been feeling like we are in “the Belgium years” of our program…in other words an anomaly, so enjoy it.

It’s not an anomaly, most people don’t know it but soccer has been more popular in Canada for years. There’s infrastructure from a young age now and a steady pipeline of young Canadians going to Europe.

Another thing, Davies, David, Flores, Sali and Jebbison were all trained or part trained in Canada, hell Morroco and Algeria literally took kids trained here on their youth teams. The world knows there is talent here. Kone will only further fuel the pipeline as will Rutty when the time comes.

Dont underestimate the impact of Davies, Giovinco, Drogba and Piatti/DiVaio on a generation of kids that grew up with them. We have other David and Davies level of youth player that are playing even now, we just don’t know it yet. 

56 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

It’s not an anomaly, most people don’t know it but soccer has been more popular in Canada for years. There’s infrastructure from a young age now and a steady pipeline of young Canadians going to Europe.

Another thing, Davies, David, Flores, Sali and Jebbison were all trained or part trained in Canada, hell Morroco and Algeria literally took kids trained here on their youth teams. The world knows there is talent here. Kone will only further fuel the pipeline as will Rutty when the time comes.

Dont underestimate the impact of Davies, Giovinco, Drogba and Piatti/DiVaio on a generation of kids that grew up with them. We have other David and Davies level of youth player that are playing even now, we just don’t know it yet. 

This sounds naive brother.

Theres always been talent. There’s always been somewhat of an infrastructure that kids had to pay for. Everyone of those kids you listed probably had to pay to play, if they didn’t….they are that anomaly.

We’ve always had quality players, but the fortunate guys who have uk or European ties have always went east. Whats different now before then is the professional infrastructure at home, guys can get McDonald’s money plying their trade.  We’ve always had kids, adults playing the game- don’t be fooled.

It’s a problem if enrolment numbers are trending down, when the population, and immigration has been growing. But as we’ve seen that is a big revenue generator for the CSA.

I don’t want to sound too negative but shit hasn’t really changed but the price to play. 

JH and his staff that he decides for the youth teams would be/should be under the microscope if it wasn’t for the CMNT success (which I’m definitely not downplaying). 

Reality will hit after the Gold Cup depending on the results. Right now it’s euphoria that we all can enjoy. 

Just now, Shway said:

This sounds naive brother.

Theres always been talent. There’s always been somewhat of an infrastructure that kids had to pay for. Everyone of those kids you listed probably had to pay to play, if they didn’t….they are that anomaly.

We’ve always had quality players, but the fortunate guys who have uk or European ties have always went east. Whats different now before then is the professional infrastructure at home, guys can get McDonald’s money plying their trade.  We’ve always had kids, adults playing the game- don’t be fooled.

It’s a problem if enrolment numbers are trending down, when the population, and immigration has been growing. But as we’ve seen that is a big revenue generator for the CSA.

I don’t want to sound too negative but shit hasn’t really changed but the price to play. 

JH and his staff that he decides for the youth teams would be/should be under the microscope if it wasn’t for the CMNT success (which I’m definitely not downplaying). 

Reality will hit after the Gold Cup depending on the results. Right now it’s euphoria that we all can enjoy. 

I didn’t mean to imply we didn’t have the talent as you are right it existed but I do believe and explosion of it is coming. 

the youth teams will be a mess awhile longer 

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I didn’t mean to imply we didn’t have the talent as you are right it existed but I do believe and explosion of it is coming. 

the youth teams will be a mess awhile longer 

What you and @Shway are saying-- but it seems a shame we don't have any players who can look back fondly at having been at an Olympics.

We're denying them legacy moments, and scouting opps, it has to change.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-mens-u-17-camp-for-domestic-camp-in-montreal/

GK- Nathaniel Abraham | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
GK- Trystan Read | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
CB- Victor Fung | USA / Inter Miami Acadeny
CB- Étienne Godin | CAN / Académie CF Montréal
CB- Simon Guardiero | CAN / Sigma FC
CB- Immanuel Mathe | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
CB- Dylan Pierre-Alexis | CAN / Académie CF Montréal
CB- Lazar Stefanovic | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
FB- Gaël de Montigny | CAN / Académie CF Montréal
FB- Aidan Fong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
FB- Chimere Omeze | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Jeevan Badwal | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
M- Alessandro Biello | CAN / Académie CF Montréal
M- Luke Boiteau | FRA / US Boulogne Côte d’Opale
M- Quentin Christey | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Richard Chukwu | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Ruben de Sa | POR / Vitoria SC
M- Ewan Derrien-Lairet | CAN / Académie CF Montréal
M- Liam MacKenzie | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
M- Antoine N’Diaye | CAN / Académie CF Montréal
F- Joses Chukwu | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Joaquim Coulanges | CAN / Académie CF Montréal
F- Lucas Ozimec | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Erik Pop | CAN / Mississauga Prostars FC
F- Kyler Vojvodic | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to CONCACAF U17 qualifying: Guatemala Feb 2023 ( + preparation & news )