Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia

Matchdays will likely be

Friday, November 10th

Monday, November 13th

Thursday, November 16th.

I assume games will be very early in the morning (for those in Canada), given the time difference with Indonesia.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup

The senior #CanMNT may also play on the Thursday, but more likely they will play on the Friday, 17th.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 9/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, HochelagaFC said:

I just read that Harry is only born in Canada but was raised in St-Vincent and in Arizona. Is it the same with Stewart Baynes or does he have stronger ties to Canada?

Stewart-Baynes went to high school in Etobicoke and played for Vaughan's youth setup (although he was not born in Canada). It seems as though the family is located in Canada, and N'Keal lived with a relative in Arizona to pursue sport.

On 9/5/2023 at 2:07 AM, Footyeh said:

Canada will be having a camp in Brazil as well end of the month.  Pair of friendlies with Brazil U17

These matches have now been officially announced:

https://www.cbf.com.br/selecao-brasileira/noticias/selecao-base-masculina/selecao-brasileira-sub-17-e-convocada-para-amistosos-contra-estados-un

They will be played in Socoraba (about 2 hours west of the city of São Paulo).

🇧🇷 v 🇨🇦 

Friday, September 29th

Sunday, October 1st.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

29 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Tavernier and Tahid are both in this camp in Brazil which is great news

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We could/should have 3 players who have played professional first team minutes on this team. I can’t recall us ever having 1 in the past. 

The power of the Can PL.

With the exceptional rule that number will climb in the coming years.

7 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Not many at all of these are playing at any notable level. Jayden Nelson is, perhaps, the most prominent.

5 in MLS

4 in CPL

2 in Europe

5 in MLS Next

At least 2 still in NCAA with a chance to go pro.  Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Edited by Ivan
Correction

8 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Not many at all of these are playing at any notable level. Jayden Nelson is, perhaps, the most prominent.

Franklin is an MLS starter at 20 and JRR is having a pretty decent first pro year at 21 for a pretty good MLS team. Plus Kerr looks like he’s starting to figure it out at 20 starting in MLS. That squad isn’t busting at the seams with talent, but if we can get like 3-4 solid pros within 4 years from our U17 team, maybe a few more since we’ve grown over the past few years, I don’t think that’s totally awful. 

It is disappointing to know that any given 15 or so players on our team that will be announced are going to do a whole lot of nothing with their careers, but I think we should expect a solid haul from this team. These guys are still all very young too.

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Here is the squad for the 2011 U17 World Cup:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup_squads

Interesting looking at England’s. Raheem Sterling, Jordan Pickford, Nathan Redman, and then a bunch of non league guys, a Rangers player and a couple EFL players. Most guys don’t make it.