Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia

42 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Justin Smith was the only player on the Canadian roster who played strongly in the qualifying tournament.

The CPL players didn’t raise the previous standard of the u20 program.

29 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Didn’t Lowell Wright have a good tournament too? 

The CPL players looked better than the academy players, but the general play of the team was pretty middling, which I blame on the prep and coaching. We don't hold nearly as many camps as other programs which always bites us. The team did better than the ones previous just based on the fact they had an extra camp in April before the tournament.

The CPL players though looked like they were much more comfortable out there. And this was sentiment shared by media IIRC. I remember Poku being pretty decent as well.

It's cool if you don't want to rate the CPL guys, but that's your opinion.

15 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Justin Smith was the only player on the Canadian roster who played strongly in the qualifying tournament.

The CPL players didn’t raise the previous standard of the u20 program.

How might the next U-20 team stack up? Are there some up and coming young guys in the CPL who could help the team improve?  How about for the U - 17? As for the senior team, it will take a Buchanan or Johnston or David type player to be discovered and/or developed by a CPL team to make an impact. These days, think somebody like Nimick at Wanderers? 

52 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The CPL players looked better than the academy players, but the general play of the team was pretty middling, which I blame on the prep and coaching. We don't hold nearly as many camps as other programs which always bites us. The team did better than the ones previous just based on the fact they had an extra camp in April before the tournament.

The CPL players though looked like they were much more comfortable out there. And this was sentiment shared by media IIRC. I remember Poku being pretty decent as well.

It's cool if you don't want to rate the CPL guys, but that's your opinion.

It is my opinion. Poku was good, but to say the the CPL players were better generally than the other players is false. Assi, Ferdinand weren’t good, Wright was a bull in a China shop using his physicality and not much else, Catavalo was decent at the tourney and terrible for my Valour.

One can acknowledge the CPL is a good thing without being a cheerleader with rose coloured glasses. A few months or a year with a CPL team isn’t going to substantially move the needle for our youth national teams at Concacaf tourneys.

48 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

How might the next U-20 team stack up? Are there some up and coming young guys in the CPL who could help the team improve?  How about for the U - 17? As for the senior team, it will take a Buchanan or Johnston or David type player to be discovered and/or developed by a CPL team to make an impact. These days, think somebody like Nimick at Wanderers? 

The U20 tourney is next year, the dates haven't been released yet. I believe the cut-off is 2005. Khadim Kane and James Cameron are the two with the most playing time in the CPL, Tahid is two years younger. The only '05 that's gotten game time in MLS this year is Pearlman, then you got Stefanovic who's an '06. De Fougerolles will be eligible, the rest will probably be made up of Next Pro guys and CFM academy players, maybe a couple based in Europe . There's also Kimani-Stewart Baynes, the freshman at Maryland who's been absolutely electric, probably their best player. His name has been brought up here before, though I don't know if we'll see an NCAA player on the team. Overall, not a lot of players at a high level 

3 hours ago, phresh said:

The U20 tourney is next year, the dates haven't been released yet. I believe the cut-off is 2005. Khadim Kane and James Cameron are the two with the most playing time in the CPL, Tahid is two years younger. The only '05 that's gotten game time in MLS this year is Pearlman, then you got Stefanovic who's an '06. De Fougerolles will be eligible, the rest will probably be made up of Next Pro guys and CFM academy players, maybe a couple based in Europe . There's also Kimani-Stewart Baynes, the freshman at Maryland who's been absolutely electric, probably their best player. His name has been brought up here before, though I don't know if we'll see an NCAA player on the team. Overall, not a lot of players at a high level 

Does not sound promising, Stefanovic and Pearlman notwithstanding. And, James Cameron at VFC has been a disappointment at the back, IMHO, being caught out of position often. Hopefully, we can get some more young Canadians who are playing in Europe into the squads.

3 hours ago, phresh said:

It'll be interesting to see if they'll do what happens in most youth tournaments where the majority of the squad is the oldest players eligible or if they're willing to take skill over age. With that said, some good 2005 players in Europe are Schiavoni (Bologna), Costa (Wolfsburg), Swiderski (Bordeaux) and Boyaci (Demirspor). Bunbury in the US with Crew 2 is a decent shout for a roster spot next year. 

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Does not sound promising, Stefanovic and Pearlman notwithstanding. And, James Cameron at VFC has been a disappointment at the back, IMHO, being caught out of position often. Hopefully, we can get some more young Canadians who are playing in Europe into the squads.

If LDF comes over and if that kid at Juventus who was apparently playing pro in Bulgaria at 15 is actually in the mix, that would be a decent core. I like what little I’ve seen of Tahid too, he started the season off well. 

4 hours ago, phresh said:

Fun fact: Stewart-Baynes' brother is Minnesota Vikings wide receiver N'Keal Harry.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

If LDF comes over and if that kid at Juventus who was apparently playing pro in Bulgaria at 15 is actually in the mix, that would be a decent core. I like what little I’ve seen of Tahid too, he started the season off well. 

Tahid hasn’t played in awhile 

8 hours ago, phresh said:

And right on point James Cameron scores his first pro goal to win VFC their match.