Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia

Germany wins the u17 on penalties vs France, in a final that repeats the European u-17 last summer, also went to penalties. In fact, as both sides have seen penalty rounds this tournament, and last summer, the commentators were saying almost all of the takers were the same and they even subbed guys in late to get them on. 

I watched Germany's semi vs Argentina, to penalties after a 3-3, and today. Argentina has those small, tricky forwards, like Ariel Ortega types, but do rely too much on individual talent. But they tied late and failed in penalties.

Today Germany went up 2-0, then France tied, the last goal late when Germany was down to 10 men (their coach made too few subs and let his exhausted defenders down). They also let themselves be tied by Argentina late, so they lack a bit of control and midfield game, that poise, but when you see these kids they are physically amazing, and have real knowledge of how to move tactically. 

In all the good u17s you see those cocky guys, even when not justified, I don't like it but it is a sign of the times, I'd like to see the top guys NOT being prima donnas at that age. 

I like this team, was rooting for them in both matches, partially because the captain Darvich is a Barça player (though he was not the German stand-out). They have a killer striker who is very strong and also arrogant af, Paris Brunner at Dortmund, then a great versatile mid who could also play back, or 2nd attacker, Harchaoui from Hoffenheim, for me the highest upside on the team and perhaps the tournament. The keeper who stopped penalties semis and final is Heide who plays for a third tier club and only came in because the starter was injured, supreme mental confidence the guy. A lanky striker who is like a Crouch type (Ongaro?), Moerstedt, but knows who to get his foot in and does score. Da Silva a powerful RB, then CB Odugo who down a man and 2-2, went forward on the counter to try to get a winner before penalties, then ran like hell back to position. 

For all the moments of looseness at this age, what really differs with our u17 team is that the top sides are in tension for the entire match, the pieces are connected, the team is a unit, they are tight, they are working for each other, sacrificing, and then they can turn on the talent in a pinch.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 12/1/2023 at 12:27 PM, SpursFlu said:

After watching this tournament play out, I think its safe to say we were all a little harsh

One goal scored over three games, outscored 10-1, not really competitive in any of the games, second worst record (thanks to New Caledonia)....

Nah, I think my criticism still stands.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Vasi said:

Fuck....is all I can say. This kid is gone!

Doesn't he have to wait a few years before he can even be eligible to rep another nation, because he just played U17 World Cup for us?

That may negate any Voyageurs anxiety 

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

Doesn't he have to wait a few years before he can even be eligible to rep another nation, because he just played U17 World Cup for us?

That may negate any Voyageurs anxiety 

Never thought of that. Usually kids don't rep us first. Lol

Anyone know the answer to this? 

11 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

This is why these tourneys matter.

I can’t remember but wasn’t he not one of the better kids for this age ?

He was one of our better players in the Concacaf qualifying tournament, but didn't do much in the U17WC.  I thought Tavernier and Tahid were better.  Just my opinion though.  Still not sure why some think he is gone?  He moved on to another club in Europe, so what?  

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No. The wait thing is for senior competitive matches.

That's what I thought. If he was eligible before the tournament he's eligible after. 
I do believe there are 1-time switch rules though because he played in a youth final tournament. So if he switches over then he's gone...(however, I could be wrong)

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

He was one of our better players in the Concacaf qualifying tournament, but didn't do much in the U17WC.  I thought Tavernier and Tahid were better.  Just my opinion though.  Still not sure why some think he is gone?  He moved on to another club in Europe, so what?  

I think we keep him, he’s just using the passport and going to a spot where he will play. I think people forget that Croatia is a top 4 team in the world and produces a lot of talent. I’m not convinced that Sigur is gone.