Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia

51 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

New name from the camp roster release:

Lino Aklil (2006) - Montpellier U19s - current Algerian U17 international 

https://x.com/canadasocceren/status/1703854088796951038?s=46&t=jq2aEPgJj7vxzNx1NF6O7A

33 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Looks like he's a right-back, may I add

He was indeed called up to an Algerian U17 camp

https://mhsconair.com/jeunes/lino-aklil-et-mohamed-zeghadi-convoques-avec-les-u17-de-lalgerie

However, his name is not here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_U-17_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_squads

So he got got before the tournament?

He therefore is not capped for Algeria and would nit need to file a switch to play for us.

----

Interestingly that Algeria roster had as keeper Mastias Hammache, who may be Canadian.

Looks like he played, so if he is Canadian, he would need to file a switch to join our program.

Other players that are based in Canada who were at that CAF tournament include:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/abdiasis-abdirahman-bahur/profil/spieler/1134195

and

https://www.transfermarkt.us/orifha-maubelo/profil/spieler/1131792

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Players that were part of the CONCACAF u17 tournament that aren't in the camp squad:

1. Ibrahim Higazy 

2. Erik Pop

3. Antoine N'Diaye

4. Aidan Fong

5. Ruben de Sa

6. Andrei Dumitru

I'm pretty sure N'Diaye is injured. The other five were not main starters in the tournament, but I thought de Sa was good when he did play. I don't remember Higazy, Pop, Fong, or Dumitru standing out at all.

53 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Players that were part of the CONCACAF u17 tournament that aren't in the camp squad:

1. Ibrahim Higazy 

2. Erik Pop

3. Antoine N'Diaye

4. Aidan Fong

5. Ruben de Sa

6. Andrei Dumitru

I'm pretty sure N'Diaye is injured. The other five were not main starters in the tournament, but I thought de Sa was good when he did play. I don't remember Higazy, Pop, Fong, or Dumitru standing out at all.

Apparently N'Diaye's injury is serious. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

No idea why the older Chukwu isn't there but I sense just another case of overlooking a good player.  Team lacks a real #9 and he's that. 

N'Diaye is rehabbing but not ready which is a shame.

Fung is confusing as he doesn't play much in his club but I guess just depth at CB.

Tahid & Tavernier will add a lot in attack which is great.  I like the Saye call-up... the level of League 1 is not high enough to not be giving kids 16/17 years old 1000+ minutes.  Maybe this selection will incentivize other clubs to play their part.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

My contacts say he is. Perhaps a half step down from Liam M who should be one of the top few in the age group at this stage, and the best of the Whitecaps 07s, I think.

Nice write up and attached Caps video promo on him here:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/henrik-sedin-son-valter-whitecaps-soccerScreenshot_20230918_214355_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ff7fba4e782043541a825c44377389b.jpg

But someone to watch closely. I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden ask about his availability at some point soon, put it that way. Remember his stated goal was to "make a national team."

8 hours ago, nolando said:

Maybe its just me, but I dont get the feeling that ben steiner is the best guage for talent identification. On the podcast he basically says nonsense statements, just like the article above. "matches up well, hes raw, etc". Its not ever specific which means hes never wrong but never right. 

Is he raw? or is he just not very good..... arent all 16-20 year olds raw (unless world class). 

If valter didnt have a famous dad, I would be surprised if he was touted as anything special. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Maybe its just me, but I dont get the feeling that ben steiner is the best guage for talent identification. On the podcast he basically says nonsense statements, just like the article above. "matches up well, hes raw, etc". Its not ever specific which means hes never wrong but never right. 

Is he raw? or is he just not very good..... aren't all 16-20 year olds raw (unless world class). 

If valter didn't have a famous dad, I would be surprised if he was all as anything special. 

I didn't always agree with him but that podcast was better with Nef.

I find myself listening to it less and less now.

I'm actually on the market for a better Canada soccer podcast if anyone knows one.

I listen to Footy Prime a bit too but it isn't Canada heavy.

Edited by narduch

54 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Ben Steiner is a grinder, covers L1 and USport which has very little coverage, so I have respect for that. No clue if he has any talent ID ability.

He’s a better newscaster or whatever you’d call the host who is responsible for reading results, news, moving the show ahead, but I think Nef had better insights and was a more interesting personality. 

I really respect his coverage of League1, Usports and the women’s game. He’s doing the lord’s work. 

7 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Is he raw? or is he just not very good..... arent all 16-20 year olds raw (unless world class). 

If valter didnt have a famous dad, I would be surprised if he was touted as anything special. 

I know one of his former coaches personally; he's not in the discussion by name alone.

4 minutes ago, nolando said:

I know one of his former coaches personally; he's not in the discussion by name alone.

I hope thats true and I've never seen him play. However, 11 minutes in league 1 doesnt scream "special"

If you compare him to other guys on the u17, you have pros in CPL, guys who have gotten minutes in MLS. I understand he's younger, but on paper, I dont see any reason to think hes any more special than any regular mls academy player. 

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I hope thats true and I've never seen him play. However, 11 minutes in league 1 doesnt scream "special"

If you compare him to other guys on the u17, you have pros in CPL, guys who have gotten minutes in MLS. I understand he's younger, but on paper, I dont see any reason to think hes any more special than any regular mls academy player. 

Which is why the CSA needs to hold more camps per year so as to see these players on the pitch and not just in some maybe reliable scouting notebook.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:07 PM, InglewoodJack said:

This is also just for the friendlies in Brazil, right? Some of the European players might not want to take games off. 

I think this is important to keep in mind when thinking about players that aren't on the list. Like mentioned, most members of the squad are on Canadian based teams. I remember some of those European guys getting some decent game time (Pop in particular, but Higazy and de Sa as well). Joses Chukwu was reportedly training with Hertha Berlin earlier in the year as well, though not sure that turned into anything. Love seeing a 15 year old with the squad though (Richard Chukwu). Speaking of: