Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

16 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

Interesting if Marsch takes the Korea job.  What would be the motivation to choose them over Canada, apart from higher pay?  

Korea has the 2026 World Cup to play for, and then the next Asian cup is 2027.  Doesn’t look like they have much on deck next two years apart from qualifiers.  Canada has COPA, Gold Cup, and is a WC host nation.  The latter sure sounds like a better opportunity if you are a manager with aspirations.

I can think of a few possible other considerations the top of my head, like with any job:

- stability 

- organizational philosophy 

- how much flexibility in the role (can he bring in his own staff, etc)

- success criteria / expectations 

- existing personal relationships within the organization?

- referrals?

Vanney is interesting (I am a TFC supporter so I have a bias). He is doing well with the Galaxy right now after a slow start a couple years ago. He can be pretty practical at times. One plus for him is that he dealt with the egos/superstars at TFC well, but I think a lot of that had to do with getting results which cures everything rather than specific man management (total speculation on my part). I don't know how well he'd translate to international soccer, I think he needs time to implement his vision. All that said, I wouldn't want him as a hire, too many question marks.

34 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

Interesting if Marsch takes the Korea job.  What would be the motivation to choose them over Canada, apart from higher pay?  

Korea has the 2026 World Cup to play for, and then the next Asian cup is 2027.  Doesn’t look like they have much on deck next two years apart from qualifiers.  Canada has COPA, Gold Cup, and is a WC host nation.  The latter sure sounds like a better opportunity if you are a manager with aspirations.

Probably the most simple if disappointing answer would be they have been at every World Cup since 1986, getting out the group 3 times. 

They have been almost consistently on the rise in FIFA ranking for the last 3 years and have been top 30 for the last two.

23 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Vanney is interesting (I am a TFC supporter so I have a bias). He is doing well with the Galaxy right now after a slow start a couple years ago. He can be pretty practical at times. One plus for him is that he dealt with the egos/superstars at TFC well, but I think a lot of that had to do with getting results which cures everything rather than specific man management (total speculation on my part). I don't know how well he'd translate to international soccer, I think he needs time to implement his vision. All that said, I wouldn't want him as a hire, too many question marks.

My issue with Vanney is I never felt he does anything that isn't for himself.  He won with arguably the most stacked team in the league.  And none of it was for TFC, it was all just to take the next step in his career.  Did absolutely nothing for the kids.

Even beyond that, Biello's career stats are 1.42PPG vs 1.49PPG for Vanney with nowhere near comparable squads.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Probably the most simple if disappointing answer would be they have been at every World Cup since 1986, getting out the group 3 times. 

They have been almost consistently on the rise in FIFA ranking for the last 3 years and have been top 30 for the last two.

Better roster comp too. Their roster is not unlike ours- a ton of domestics and other solid European leagues with the top few at big clubs, except they have so many more top tier players than us. Son, Kim, Lee (PSG), Lee (Mainz), Hwang (Wolves), Oh (Celtic). I think there’s a lot you can get out of that team. Factor in better wages, and it’s not hard to see why he’d choose them over us.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

My issue with Vanney is I never felt he does anything that isn't for himself.  He won with arguably the most stacked team in the league.  And none of it was for TFC, it was all just to take the next step in his career.  Did absolutely nothing for the kids.

Even beyond that, Biello's career stats are 1.42PPG vs 1.49PPG for Vanney with nowhere near comparable squads.

I won't disagree too much, some pretty good points. I never fully got on board with the knock that he didn't develop youngsters, though. I mean maybe, but he's in the business of winning trophies, which he did. The senior NT is not a development program.

4 minutes ago, El Diego said:

The senior NT is not a development program.

You're right, but my concern there is he'd make the same mistake Herdman and Biello made which is rely too much on the expired vets as opposed to transitioning towards the future. Like Vanney, Herdman and Biello were only ever thinking of the next game and chasing instant results, without ever considering what happens in 6 months.

I dont mind that so much in a NT manager.  Get us ready for 26, do well there and worry about the next cycle likely with a different coach.  I just never thought he was much of a coach, not much of a tactical whiz or much of a motivator.  He had an excellent deep roster, rode it to the top with TFC but hasnt been able to duplicate that with big spenders LAG.  He wouldnt be much of a step up from Biello, and Biello already knows our situation/players/CSA etc.  I would be worried we bring in someone and they spend the first year trying to get used to CSA bullshit.  

3 hours ago, cornerkick said:

S Korea is a much better team now, and has been historically?

4 hours ago, cornerkick said:

Canada is participating in the Copa, but there's no (realistic) expectation to win it. Where as South Korea would be expected to challenge for the Asian Cup. And the Asian Cup is more prestigious than the Gold Cup. And even setting aside the pay (that likely dwarfs what the CSA can pay), the South Korean job is likely more high profile overall.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I won't disagree too much, some pretty good points. I never fully got on board with the knock that he didn't develop youngsters, though. I mean maybe, but he's in the business of winning trophies, which he did. The senior NT is not a development program.

Vanney isn't Jim Curtin, but his supposed distaste for using younger players is really overblown on here.

Osorio, Laryea, Shaffelburg, Edwards, Akinola and even Delgado (obviously not Canadian and not a fan favourite on these boards, but still a youngster that Vanney knew well from Chivas) were all were all used extensively by Vanney despite being young and/or unproven in MLS.

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

brennan just had to take a shot at mcnab

I can't rate him trying to run a club from another country....imagine him advising a countries federation from another country.

What machine or tool is he using to select these coaches.

guess brennan is fully in the media thing now as he clearly doesnt want another coaching job when hes taking shots at his former employers and colleagues...remember when he was laughing at york on onesoccer when they had a bad period under nash...good thing he realized hes not a very good coach and found another direction

as far as mcnab he wasnt great but wasnt terrible either with york

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

guess brennan is fully in the media thing now as he clearly doesnt want another coaching job when hes taking shots at his former employers and colleagues...remember when he was laughing at york on onesoccer when they had a bad period under nash...good thing he realized hes not a very good coach and found another direction

He stated the obvious by saying "he doesn't have a big football background"....remember Angus was behind that CPL scouting tool that didn't work to well. How does a golf guy, not rely on someone with experience in the game?

He wasn't good for York, and him running things from NY was an even greater stain on his ability to make football decisions.

11 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Isn't Brennan coaching an Ontario provincial youth team now? I think U15s

Sat in a darkened room with a tin foil hat on here but it feels like everything is pointing to Marsch and PR spread to make him more acceptable.

One soccer talking him up, US media talking him up

Other released names make him look more attractive. Im very skeptical we couldnt find a more international experienced list. Its REALLY random..

Spread Vanney's name to reinforce we could do worse than Marsch.

The Korea talk, makes him seem more valuable, in demand and that we should act now. 

Of course the above is complete nonsense, Marsch is a coach with top level experience and many of the random names might well have approached the CSA, not the other way around.

But let me rock back and forth in my corner a little longer.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Canada is participating in the Copa, but there's no (realistic) expectation to win it. Where as South Korea would be expected to challenge for the Asian Cup. And the Asian Cup is more prestigious than the Gold Cup. And even setting aside the pay (that likely dwarfs what the CSA can pay), the South Korean job is likely more high profile overall.

True, Korea is a far more established footballing nation.  The Korea job could be on shaky ground if they don't hit some targets in the 2026 WC.  So getting to coach the Asian cup might not be a given. 

56 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Sat in a darkened room with a tin foil hat on here but it feels like everything is pointing to Marsch and PR spread to make him more acceptable.

One soccer talking him up, US media talking him up

Other released names make him look more attractive. Im very skeptical we couldnt find a more international experienced list. Its REALLY random..

Spread Vanney's name to reinforce we could do worse than Marsch.

The Korea talk, makes him seem more valuable, in demand and that we should act now. 

Of course the above is complete nonsense, Marsch is a coach with top level experience and many of the random names might well have approached the CSA, not the other way around.

But let me rock back and forth in my corner a little longer.

Or or....Korea is orchestrating Canada interest so that they sign him. ....got your tinfoil hat and some more. 

I think there will be more pressure in Korea than in Canada at least in the shorterm , IN the Asian fedration Korea is the one of the major powers and they are favoured in most tournaments  or at least one of the fovourites, I m sure the Korean job will pay a lot more and maybe there is extra flexabilty etc who knows .