Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No, it's not.  The players aren't interested in someone "leading the charge".  They made that fairly clear in the recent Athletic article.  They need and want someone who's going to help them win tactically.  And having "the respect" of players when their kids vs when they're adults at high level pro clubs is totally different.  And we've seen some players call the CPL "minor league".  How well do you think they're going to react to a manager from that league suddenly jumping up to the full MNT?

For me, going homegrown would slightly lessen the blow of not getting the coach we honestly need. 

But if we are looking to be successful at these next two tournaments, rather than build for the future we need to find a coach that is 1) tactically astute shown at a level equal to at least a good portion of the players 2) has the juice to get the players to play those tactics.

If we were looking at a 4 year cycle with a tournament a year or 2 off, maybe I can see building with a CPL guy. We aren't.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Honestly, Im growing tired of this. We need a coach with World Cup experience, as much as possible, full stop. The players realize this too, especially tactically. 

We are hosting a WC and are in the middle of a golden generation and we are pissng it all away due to the total incompetence, infighting and corruption with football governance in this country. 

The Can Pl coaches, the CSB people and certain other CSA old boys should not be anywhere near this.

We have a real shot hear. Success let alone sustained success at the full world level take time but we dont become a full football nation unless the sh%t show administrators, short sighted finnanciers and marketing goons are not finally replaced with real and intelligent football people. 

If not now then when?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

No, it's not.  The players aren't interested in someone "leading the charge".  They made that fairly clear in the recent Athletic article.  They need and want someone who's going to help them win tactically.  And having "the respect" of players when their kids vs when they're adults at high level pro clubs is totally different.  And we've seen some players call the CPL "minor league".  How well do you think they're going to react to a manager from that league suddenly jumping up to the full MNT?

That sounds an awful lot like "this guy only coached women's soccer", and that fella didn't fare too badly.  And except for one fatal game, a guy that coached Halifax King of Donair wasn't that bad either. 

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Sometimes the troops have to take some responsibility

And some of them have been forcibly retired. But that still doesn't mean Biello is the right guy for the job or that the remaining "troops" are going to listen to an inexperienced "general".

5 hours ago, Atlantic said:

For clarification, McNab rarely stepped foot in Ontario in his role with York. He did it from New York where he’s from. So we have an American running our consultation 

99% sure McNab is from the UK. Judging from his accent he grew up in or near London, England but his family is probably from Dundee originally given he supports Dundee FC.

6 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

Honestly, Im growing tired of this. We need a coach with World Cup experience, as much as possible, full stop. The players realize this too, especially tactically. 

There's not much coaches who are active today, full stop.

Juan Carlos Osorio? Scolari? Sven Eriksson? Jurgen Klinsmann? Fabio Capello? Lowe? 

6 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

We are hosting a WC and are in the middle of a golden generation and we are pissng it all away due to the total incompetence, infighting and corruption with football governance in this country.

I'm interested in what you consider success/the goal is for the World Cup?

Round of 16?

7 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

The Can Pl coaches, the CSB people and certain other CSA old boys should not be anywhere near this.

We have a real shot hear. Success let alone sustained success at the full world level take time but we dont become a full football nation unless the sh%t show administrators, short sighted finnanciers and marketing goons are not finally replaced with real and intelligent football people. 

If not now then when?

Good point but what world class foreign managers are still out there that we can bring into our program to help lead us?

I don't envy the crew making this decision. Don't have the money for a true big name and they're probably not into us anyway. Coaches with a national tram track record will cost a packet but the number of people with real world cup experience willing to coach us is very limited or their career has seemed to run its course. Hire someone with a name from club football but middling managerial experience and they're fanboys. Hire some complete unknown and we risk alienating the billy big boys on the team that led the strike. Hire Bobby or Tommy and they've reverting to small type cheapout culture. This is why Christiansen could have been a good candidate - a sort of compromise all around - this isn't an easy needle to thread.

8 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That sounds an awful lot like "this guy only coached women's soccer", and that fella didn't fare too badly.  And except for one fatal game, a guy that coached Halifax King of Donair wasn't that bad either. 

And he's still not faring too badly with TFC, but many posters here wanted him out. My instincts tell me it'll be some time before we get a coach of his caliber.

Posted (edited)

So since he's been mentioned, let's consider Aitor Karanka.

He was a solid, strong mostly CB, for Athletic Club de Bilbao, then went to Real Madrid and won a few Champions Leagues, then back to Bilbao, being Basque born. Also had a season in MLS so knows a bit about what things are like over here. Then, to start his coaching career, he was second to Mourinho. Started as head coach about a decade ago.

He has not really had a stellar coaching career, was mostly in Championship though I think he did promote Middlesborough to EPL, though was fired in the second half of the season. His last stint was in Israel, but he left that gig last summer. Also means his English is strong, no problem there.

As we see today, these Basque coaches have solid skills, they emphasize pace and physicality, have knowledge of a more northern European style they are honed in, then have tactical acumen in the Spanish style. I am not saying just because Arteta, Xabi Alonso, Emery, Iraola at Bournemouth are all Basque (Lopetegui, Lillo, Guardiola's assistant, and many more in Spain) they have a genetic extra, but it's a specific and quite solid calling card. They also tend to appreciate academy and developing players, and unlike most club managers; those who have coached Bilbao or been through the system understand about designing their rosters based on nationality, which approximates them to a National Team way of doing things. Athletic Club looks for Basques in the world the way we look for dual nationals.

He's a nice guy, a bit bland, a soft communicator, not really trendy, but quietly smart. 

I don't really know if he'd be good for Canada, but at least we are talking about a guy who has played at a top level and been in top tier dressing rooms as a coach. So basically, a far better bio than either Smyrniotis and Wheeldon.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

If they are bringing in someone on the relative cheap, that person might not be the one coaching us in our opening match of the World Cup.  I really could see them hiring someone like that and, depending upon how 2025 NL and Gold Cup go, they might get the chop on relatively cheaper severance while a new, higher profile guy (but short term hired gun) is brought in to lead the way.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

If they are bringing in someone on the relative cheap, that person might not be the one coaching us in our opening match of the World Cup.  I really could see them hiring someone like that and, depending upon how 2025 NL and Gold Cup go, they might get the chop on relatively cheaper severance while a new, higher profile guy (but short term hired gun) is brought in to lead the way.

It'd be a shame not to bring in someone now, within 10 days, to prep for the friendlies in Europe, and Copa America. it is crucial experience, everything else means starting from scratch again.

Herdman had a dud Gold Cup to use to make adjustments, apart from sitting on his butt with no friendlies for long stretches. But we want someone who can engage now, even if things don't work out marvellously over the next 5 games we will understand that as long as we are competitive. And as long as it looks like we are on the way to adjusting to a new manager who can lead us into the WC.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But we want someone who can engage now, even if things don't work out marvelously over the next 5 games we will understand that as long as we are competitive. And as long as it looks like we are on the way to adjusting to a new manager who can lead us into the WC.

Mic drop. 

Even if we lose, who cares, the rest of the world thinks we're going to lose anyway.  I'd rather lose now and learn something than be embarrassed when it really counts.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So since he's been mentioned, let's consider Aitor Karanka.

He was a solid, strong mostly CB, for Athletic Club de Bilbao, then went to Real Madrid and won a few Champions Leagues, then back to Bilbao, being Basque born. Also had a season in MLS so knows a bit about what things are like over here. Then, to start his coaching career, he was second to Mourinho. Started as head coach about a decade ago.

He has not really had a stellar coaching career, was mostly in Championship though I think he did promote Middlesborough to EPL, though was fired in the second half of the season. His last stint was in Israel, but he left that gig last summer. Also means his English is strong, no problem there.

As we see today, these Basque coaches have solid skills, they emphasize pace and physicality, have knowledge of a more northern European style they are honed in, then have tactical acumen in the Spanish style. I am not saying just because Arteta, Xabi Alonso, Emery, Iraola at Bournemouth are all Basque (Lopetegui, Lillo, Guardiola's assistant, and many more in Spain) they have a genetic extra, but it's a specific and quite solid calling card. They also tend to appreciate academy and developing players, and unlike most club managers; those who have coached Bilbao or been through the system understand about designing their rosters based on nationality, which approximates them to a National Team way of doing things. Athletic Club looks for Basques in the world the way we look for dual nationals.

He's a nice guy, a bit bland, a soft communicator, not really trendy, but quietly smart. 

I don't really know if he'd be good for Canada, but at least we are talking about a guy who has played at a top level and been in top tier dressing rooms as a coach. So basically, a far better bio than either Smyrniotis and Wheeldon.

I would not mind 

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Mic drop. 

Even if we lose, who cares, the rest of the world thinks we're going to lose anyway.  I'd rather lose now and learn something than be embarrassed when it really counts.

Exactly.

If we get a tie in any of the next three matches, great result. If we can score, also. 
But even if not, we can take the last two games of Copa and try for a win and a draw and maybe get out of the group.

None of that will be a learning experience and part of an upward curve for the programme if we have to change managers again.

17 hours ago, Shway said:

Ahh fack lol, Tosaint....no disrespect but he should just be video game ambassador and that's it.

Someone who's seen Tosaint play video games would not be saying this 😉

ideally its someone with national team experience as its very different from club coaching

another thought is give smyrniotis or biello a contract until end of copa america and extend if successful...in the case of smyrniotis forge can have one of their assistants as interim and bring smyrniotis back if it doesnt work out with the national team

if it doesnt work out with the copa america coach you can still hire someone who will get two years to prepare for the world cup

thats really the way to go...whoever you hire you give a contract for copa with an option to extend if successful...you need to see if their coaching and management will be a good fit for the national team

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I saw them lose 4-0 to a Whitecaps team that is also tactically inept, so yes.

You know what they say? You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Listening to yesterday's Footy Prime podcast today (and boy, parts of that were a struggle) they at least clarified their stance from the other day about the men's NT spot. Admitted that there's not really a candidate out there right now that's actually really ready to take over and that it's about working to ensure that in the future there are such candidates. Which, I think we can all agree is a reasonable stance to take and what we would hope for in the future.