Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Again, this is what's missing for me. It doesn't even need to be stats heavy, I just want CanMNT content and I want NFP to be a CanMNT podcast first and foremost. It's turning into a Canada Soccer podcast, where one week might be CanWNT focused, the next week might be CPL heavy, the following week might be dominated by the changes happening at the CSA....

I just want CanMNT content to be honest, and if there is a CPL final, or MLS final, or even big game for the women, yes it can take up a major portion of the show (but not 95% of the show), but I feel in general it's moved away from the CanMNT too much and I now have to pick and choose which eppisodes to watch......anyone else?

I feel the same way. I love CPL and MLS analysis when its related to how Nimick or raposo are improving and may be able to fill a void for CMNT. I dont even mind the episodes that are CPL or MLS based when theres nothing CMNT going on. I just feel like you and get a bit bored on some of the content.  

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Again, this is what's missing for me. It doesn't even need to be stats heavy, I just want CanMNT content and I want NFP to be a CanMNT podcast first and foremost. It's turning into a Canada Soccer podcast, where one week might be CanWNT focused, the next week might be CPL heavy, the following week might be dominated by the changes happening at the CSA....

I just want CanMNT content to be honest, and if there is a CPL final, or MLS final, or even big game for the women, yes it can take up a major portion of the show (but not 95% of the show), but I feel in general it's moved away from the CanMNT too much and I now have to pick and choose which eppisodes to watch......anyone else?

I agree with you. The show isn't as good as it used to be. I miss the days of Galindo and that Spanish kid (did he disappear or something?). 

To be fair to them, international content is so sporadic that if they want to make money with the podcast they have no choice but to cover all things Canada Soccer. But I'm with you, I really only tune in when there's CanMNT content. Couldn't care less about CanWNT, CPL. 

I like the podcast a lot, but miss Galindo. Wish they did more interviews. I love hearing about guys playing in lower leagues around the world  and their experiences like the one Deming did with Promise David recently.  Anyone have trouble hearing Ben Steiner recently? I think he needs a new microphone. It was the same thing for Nef when he was with the podcast. He might have had some good insights but I couldn't hear a thing he was saying. AGR and Dunlop come through loud and clear though.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

That would be the dream, but I don't know if there's enough CANMNT content out there to appeal to a wide audience. Their episodes are nearly 2 hours long, weekly too, and outside of posters here, I don't know who would listen to two hours of a slow CANMNT news week. I mean *I'll* listen to a 25 minute segment on Derek Cornelius' growth and how his style fits perfectly within the Swedish style of play, or a half hour chat on who each host's ideal national team C-roster would be, but I question how many of their regular listeners that would appeal to. I have started listening to episodes in the same way, skipping to certain segments, passing over certain episodes if I know it's going to be a CPL-heavy episode (unless it's young player-focused), but I think it's necessary for them to fill an episode. Hopefully these next few months of episodes will be more CANMNT heavy, because of all the stuff that's going on with our NT and our players individually.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Shway said:

It reminds me of a classic hockey talk style shows.

Best Canadian soccer show is OneSoccer Today (NOT JJD & APG)...and that says a lot.

The newly introduced Match Night has become OneSoccer's best show. It's on after the last CPL match of the weekend. It's basically a week in review of what happened in Canadian soccer. It has segments like Best or Worst of the Week and Oh Canada! Oh Baby!. 

Last Sunday's show covered the weekend CPL action, previewed Voyageurs Cup and then manager search updates. They have a nice combo in Wheels, Wilson & KJ with Platt as the producer. 

Edited by red card

32 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Looks like Footy Prime pissed off people with their comments regarding who is on the coach hiring committee they decided to do some journalism and put out some fires. 

There's more.

Tosaint 

37 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Looks like Footy Prime pissed off people with their comments regarding who is on the coach hiring committee they decided to do some journalism and put out some fires. 

Ahh fack lol, Tosaint....no disrespect but he should just be video game ambassador and that's it.

Friend and Simpson don't help the CSB controls the CSA narrative.

What happened to guys Atiba, De Guzman, Stalteri, or DeRo.

Is DeVos, Onstad, or  Sutton to busy?

Tos sounded more intelligent than JDG on WC telecasts.  Friend and Simpson are obviously intelligent guys. Atiba would be a great search committee addition.  Stalteri and Devos are part of Biello's staff - too close.  DeRo? As you say, all due respect.

54 minutes ago, Vasi said:

How is this putting out fires?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Tos sounded more intelligent than JDG on WC telecasts.  Friend and Simpson are obviously intelligent guys. Atiba would be a great search committee addition.  Stalteri and Devos are part of Biello's staff - too close.  DeRo? As you say, all due respect.

Lol @ DeRo part. I won't speak on what you're insinuating but I will say DeRo is still today one of thee most skilllful players to wear Canada red. Top 5 today. I'll take that advice of what THAT player says what Canada soccer needs any day. Especially when he still pumping kids into the Canada soccer pipeline...he's back in trenches.

The intelligent part is cool and all, but Tosaint outside of his little camps he does...he isn't involved in the game, and tbh I wouldn't send my kid to any of his camps unless it's speed training. 

Friend and Simpson...the contributed to the game here. 

Edit:

Oh just because someone can talk live on TV doesn't make them "intelligent", it's just a skill they have.

"It might sound funny, but you can learn a lot from a dummy"

Edited by Shway

Posted (edited)

Regarding those involved. Two from BC, often working as a team; Ricketts is Edmonton born; then McNab a Scot in Ontario, does he also do sports consulting or is that another McNab. Who else?

It seems the idea is to ensure some regional representation, guys with different backgrounds, all internationals, some variation in playing experiences. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Didn't De Vos jump ship and skedaddle to Toronto FC with Herdman?

Edited by Sal333

13 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Jump ship isn't the right words to use considering Herdman was the one who brought him on his ship. 

It's pretty standard for a HC to bring his entire back room staff. 

46 minutes ago, Shway said:

Lol @ DeRo part. I won't speak on what you're insinuating but I will say DeRo is still today one of thee most skilllful players to wear Canada red. Top 5 today. I'll take that advice of what THAT player says what Canada soccer needs any day. Especially when he still pumping kids into the Canada soccer pipeline...he's back in trenches.

The intelligent part is cool and all, but Tosaint outside of his little camps he does...he isn't involved in the game, and tbh I wouldn't send my kid to any of his camps unless it's speed training. 

Friend and Simpson...the contributed to the game here. 

Edit:

Oh just because someone can talk live on TV doesn't make them "intelligent", it's just a skill they have.

"It might sound funny, but you can learn a lot from a dummy"

No issue with the DeRo skill part.  IMHO, he's not the right guy for this type of search.

And, agreed on the intelligent comment. Just based on hearing the two of them comment and discuss the game, I would have no problem with Tos representing on the search committee. DeGuz is more involved in the game than Tos is on a management level. I just don't know that he's that much a better choice than Tos. I would have either or both to be honest.

26 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Yes, but they were both on Herdman's staff together to clarify I guess.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Regarding those involved. Two from BC, often working as a team; Ricketts is Edmonton born; then McNab a Scot in Ontario, does he also do sports consulting or is that another McNab. Who else?

It seems the idea is to ensure some regional representation, guys with different backgrounds, all internationals, some variation in playing experiences. 

For clarification, McNab rarely stepped foot in Ontario in his role with York. He did it from New York where he’s from. So we have an American running our consultation 

Edited by Atlantic

2 hours ago, Shway said:

He has the respect from a lot of the current (key) players where we couldn't suspect their being an issue with egos.

World Cup on home soil, with a Canadian from Scarborough leading the charge...it's what we need to see. 

No, it's not.  The players aren't interested in someone "leading the charge".  They made that fairly clear in the recent Athletic article.  They need and want someone who's going to help them win tactically.  And having "the respect" of players when their kids vs when they're adults at high level pro clubs is totally different.  And we've seen some players call the CPL "minor league".  How well do you think they're going to react to a manager from that league suddenly jumping up to the full MNT?

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I hope it's Bobby. 

He has the respect from a lot of the current (key) players where we couldn't suspect their being an issue with egos.

World Cup on home soil, with a Canadian from Scarborough leading the charge...it's what we need to see. 

This also brings the added benefit of potentially giving a different Canadian manager a strong team to work with at Forge.