Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

9 hours ago, nolando said:

JFC... what an Appalachian-inspired inbred soccer community we have at times. Can't we please look outside the gene pool?

Listened to Footy Prime yesterday, and Craig Forrest was almost the opposite - that the Americans always take care of each other, while the Canadians don't and that the CSA should be looking for a Canadian coach almost solely on that basis.

Seen on twitter, speculative final six candidates for Korea job: Jesse Marsch, Herve Renard, Senol Gunes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Vasco Seabra, and Garry Monk. Some overlap there, I wonder if the other names are also options for Canada. Also wondering if Korea job is a domino that needs to drop before next steps on Canada job.

49 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Seen on twitter, speculative final six candidates for Korea job: Jesse Marsch, Herve Renard, Senol Gunes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Vasco Seabra, and Garry Monk. Some overlap there, I wonder if the other names are also options for Canada. Also wondering if Korea job is a domino that needs to drop before next steps on Canada job.

Wow, take Renard and Gunes off the list and they seem more lost than we are. 

No clue who John Jacques is or if he is right or not but that FootyPrime podcast is terrible.  There's two people  (maybe three) who serve almost no purpose, most of them come off as unlikable, there are inside jokes the audience isn't privy to and I could go on but I wouldn't want to offend their over 1k subscribers.

Contrast that with OneSoccer who are also prone to the inside jokes but at least come across as likable, even the doofus Wheeler.  I'd even take him over the other crew.  Watching FootyPrime is like watching a bitter conversation in a poorly lit room in somebody's basement

13 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

No clue who John Jacques is or if he is right or not but that FootyPrime podcast is terrible.  There's two people  (maybe three) who serve almost no purpose, most of them come off as unlikable, there are inside jokes the audience isn't privy to and I could go on but I wouldn't want to offend their over 1k subscribers.

Contrast that with OneSoccer who are also prone to the inside jokes but at least come across as likable, even the doofus Wheeler.  I'd even take him over the other crew.  Watching FootyPrime is like watching a bitter conversation in a poorly lit room in somebody's basement

Not to mention they laugh at their own contrived vulgar adolescent humour. I cant listen to it anymore.

29 minutes ago, Cadeau said:

Not to mention they laugh at their own contrived vulgar adolescent humour. I cant listen to it anymore.

Yup. They think they are a Howard Stern type radio show now. Not enough actual soccer talk.

38 minutes ago, narduch said:

Yup. They think they are a Howard Stern type radio show now. Not enough actual soccer talk.

It reminds me of a classic hockey talk style shows.

Best Canadian soccer show is OneSoccer Today (NOT JJD & APG)...and that says a lot.

14 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

No clue who John Jacques is or if he is right or not but that FootyPrime podcast is terrible...

The main (possibly only?) Northern Tribune dude these days AFAIA so may be white knighting one of his key past sources of inside info. Think he posts his own links onto Reddit under that same Makelevi handle even though Reddit tends to frown on that so not sure he's in the strongest position to be handing out lectures on how to conduct yourself on social media.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

It reminds me of a classic hockey talk style shows.

Best Canadian soccer show is OneSoccer Today (NOT JJD & APG)...and that says a lot.

The new dedicated mini shows Footy Prime does for each Canadian MLS teams are pretty good. 

50 minutes ago, narduch said:

Since we're talking podcasts. Northern Futbol is better now with Dunlop

You find? I can’t say that I’ve been listening in much since they took that break and they came back with him as a host. Nothing personal about him in particular, I just really liked Galindo, without him, I don’t really learn much that I haven’t read on here a week prior. They have been talking more about CPL, MLS, CANWNT, so on lately since that’s where the news is coming from, so perhaps that factors into it too. 

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You find? I can’t say that I’ve been listening in much since they took that break and they came back with him as a host. Nothing personal about him in particular, I just really liked Galindo, without him, I don’t really learn much that I haven’t read on here a week prior. They have been talking more about CPL, MLS, CANWNT, so on lately since that’s where the news is coming from, so perhaps that factors into it too. 

Thought it was getting kinda stale as Galindo and AGR basically agree on everything 

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Thought it was getting kinda stale as Galindo and AGR basically agree on everything 

Yeah, for sure. As Galindo got more involved with the CANMNT directly, he wasn’t really able to say as much, they didn’t have Thomas Nef who could go out and break stories, and while I really like AGR and he’s such a smart guy, I think his expertise is canadian soccer, so when they would talk about European leagues, there’s only so much they could speak about. I’ll have to pay more attention to the pod with Dunlop. As we’re getting closer to playing actual games again, the content should be better too. 

17 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

And the way they constantly shut down Any Walsh, she accepts it because maybe she doesn't have other options. But it's sexist bravado and big headedness a lot of the time.

32 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, for sure. As Galindo got more involved with the CANMNT directly, he wasn’t really able to say as much, they didn’t have Thomas Nef who could go out and break stories, and while I really like AGR and he’s such a smart guy, I think his expertise is canadian soccer, so when they would talk about European leagues, there’s only so much they could speak about. I’ll have to pay more attention to the pod with Dunlop. As we’re getting closer to playing actual games again, the content should be better too. 

When I listen i find that:

Galindo understands tactics and statistics. This led him to conclusions that had substance. He understands player profiles and systems as well.  Maybe not an elite expert but certainly better than most canadian podcasters

AGR - understands the game and mindset of the team/coaches but its still a bit fluffy in comparison. Now that galindo is gone, he provides the in depth analysis that isnt as in depth... 

Ben - Just sort of placates. "He has a chip on his shoulder so he will come out swinging". That's not analysis. He doesnt seem to understand the sport at a deeper level so he just says wishy washy statements. 

New guy - he can call ben out at times for being wishy washy. I like his personality of taking a stance. He's a good color commentator.

New guy, galindo and AGR would make a great podcast. AGR to mediate but throw in his takes. Galindo to provide statistical analysis and the new guy to challenge the other 2. "ya you might have a good arguments on statistics but do you honestly believe that we are going to see canada line up with X player in Y match" 

I appreciate the guys for keeping the NFP going. I still tune in most weeks (but not religiously like I once did). That has nothing to do with Dunlap, I agree he's a breath of fresh air. I appreciate Ben and AGR too and wish the show success and hope it keeps going. It's still a part of my weekly footy diet, for the most part. 

BUT....I wish it was more CanMNT centric. I don't mind coverage of the women and the CPL, but for me the women's coverage in particular is much too granular. They deserve coverage and they are doing great things on the club side, and it's nice to learn about what they are doing in Europe at a high level, but the recent coverage of the SheBelieves Cup and the detail of it was too much, at least for my tastes.

So for that reason, I find myself missing the previous hosts, Galindo and Nef.

It's not just what they brought to the table (although I liked their dynamic), but it was just the emphasis on the CanMNT and what our players are doing. Instead of breaking down the tactics of (another) loss to the USWNT, I would much rather a deep dive into Eustaquio's troubles at Porto, or perhaps an in-depth analysis on Promise David, or Tani Olu, and whether he can earn a call to the NT, personally.

And again, even with the CPL stuff, I love the league and it's great for it to get coverage, but more focus on the players who could potentially get into the men's national team, or make a move abroad, etc., would be greatly appreciated, and less about the general league narratives and such.

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

AGR - understands the game and mindset of the team/coaches but its still a bit fluffy in comparison. Now that galindo is gone, he provides the in depth analysis that isnt as in depth... 

I think he's filling the void of Galindo nicely. No, he's not Galindo, but I think he's doing very good work. I appreciate him.

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Ben - Just sort of placates. "He has a chip on his shoulder so he will come out swinging". That's not analysis. He doesnt seem to understand the sport at a deeper level so he just says wishy washy statements. 

I know what you mean, but I think it's fine. I don't expect analysis from Ben and I don't feel like he's aiming to give that to us, so it's fine by me. Happy he is part of the show. 

8 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

New guy - he can call ben out at times for being wishy washy. I like his personality of taking a stance. He's a good color commentator.

Dunlop (Dunlap?) ....I like the personality too and the digs at Ben and sometimes AGR. He's good for the dynamics of the show. Sounds like he's an older millenial and the other two seem to be Gen Z, so I think he brings a little balance.  

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

New guy, galindo and AGR would make a great podcast. AGR to mediate but throw in his takes. Galindo to provide statistical analysis and the new guy to challenge the other 2. "ya you might have a good arguments on statistics but do you honestly believe that we are going to see canada line up with X player in Y match" 

Again, this is what's missing for me. It doesn't even need to be stats heavy, I just want CanMNT content and I want NFP to be a CanMNT podcast first and foremost. It's turning into a Canada Soccer podcast, where one week might be CanWNT focused, the next week might be CPL heavy, the following week might be dominated by the changes happening at the CSA....

I just want CanMNT content to be honest, and if there is a CPL final, or MLS final, or even big game for the women, yes it can take up a major portion of the show (but not 95% of the show), but I feel in general it's moved away from the CanMNT too much and I now have to pick and choose which eppisodes to watch......anyone else?

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And the way they constantly shut down Any Walsh, she accepts it because maybe she doesn't have other options. But it's sexist bravado and big headedness a lot of the time.

I find she's as bad and as unlikable as the rest of them.  I don't think anyone has to white knight her, she's more than capable of standing up for herself.  She dropped an F bomb the other day which was kind of a last straw for me.  Really that's unacceptable in any environment that deals with the public.  I admit I'm old school, in my day it wasn't acceptable on the air or dealing with a customer.  I understand times change, but it doesn't mean we have to like or accept it.