Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Jebem tvoju zemlju banana.

Luka Modrić je ružni patuljak.

Zagreb i Split zajedno imaju IQ 90.

Sorry just needed to get it out of my system.

I have a very basic understanding of the language, needed google translate for that. 😁

45 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Jebem tvoju zemlju banana.

Luka Modrić je ružni patuljak.

Zagreb i Split zajedno imaju IQ 90.

Sorry just needed to get it out of my system.

As a Croat I must say that after reading this forum and cs reddit I was hoping for Canada and Croatia to advance together, now it's impossible because even if Canada beats Morocco 3 points aren't enough. 

I don't care too much about Herdmans F word, players don't care either but these "fuck Croatia" posts including yours are something else.

Frankly Borjan is everything our players need to get motivated, views and people that he is promoting and supporting killed Modrics grandpa on his doorstep as well as thousands of others... I won't bother you with our history but it was the same situation Ukraine is going throug now. 

Our media somehow always gets leaks from national team and according to them idea behind starting XI for Morroco was not to concede a goal and players were instructed to defend a draw even if it means sacrificing all of our scoring potential.

The starting XI for Canada that leaked just an hour ago is the most attacking one possible, idea is to score early and then slow the game down in midfield, expected possession is 60-70%.

Livakovic

Juranovic-Sutalo-Gvardiol-Sosa

Brozovic

Modric-Kovacic

Kramaric-Perisic

Livaja

Later in the game these are expected substitutions:
Lovren > Sutalo

Budimir/Petkovic > Livaja

Sucic > Kramaric

Orsic > Perisic 

and if we are at +2 by 70' then Modric could be replaced by Sucic in the midfield and Vlasic will enter and take the right wing.

2 hours ago, shortofbrillant said:

I never said they required more, but Herdman gave them more. I know in my history of playing sports any time a team has pissed my team off we end up playing with extra focus. If you don't think extra focus is possible since it's the world cup then I don't know what to tell you.

It's also quite the assumption that the world cup is the pinnacle for every player the way it is for the fans.

I don't think bulletin board material is an actual thing that professionals care about, but media sure do love to talk about it.

As for being "extra fired up", that is often not a good thing in a sport that often requires discipline and focus.

23 minutes ago, FullbackZD said:

As a Croat I must say that after reading this forum and cs reddit I was hoping for Canada and Croatia to advance together, now it's impossible because even if Canada beats Morocco 3 points aren't enough. 

I don't care too much about Herdmans F word, players don't care either but these "fuck Croatia" posts including yours are something else.

Frankly Borjan is everything our players need to get motivated, views and people that he is promoting and supporting killed Modrics grandpa on his doorstep as well as thousands of others... I won't bother you with our history but it was the same situation Ukraine is going throug now. 

Our media somehow always gets leaks from national team and according to them idea behind starting XI for Morroco was not to concede a goal and players were instructed to defend a draw even if it means sacrificing all of our scoring potential.

The starting XI for Canada that leaked just an hour ago is the most attacking one possible, idea is to score early and then slow the game down in midfield, expected possession is 60-70%.

Livakovic

Juranovic-Sutalo-Gvardiol-Sosa

Brozovic

Modric-Kovacic

Kramaric-Perisic

Livaja

Later in the game these are expected substitutions:
Lovren > Sutalo

Budimir/Petkovic > Livaja

Sucic > Kramaric

Orsic > Perisic 

and if we are at +2 by 70' then Modric could be replaced by Sucic in the midfield and Vlasic will enter and take the right wing.

Ignore the stupidity, thanks for the insight.

It never makes sense to be overhyped before a match, it leads to errors, take the focus off. We are starting to think that a few statements are going to see Croatia come out extremely aggressive, which I don't mind as long as there is no intent to injure. 

Which would backfire, Croatia has more to lose if they decide they want to get some other justice than scoring more goals.

22 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think bulletin board material is an actual thing that professionals care about, but media sure do love to talk about it.

As for being "extra fired up", that is often not a good thing in a sport that often requires discipline and focus.

Agree with the second paragraph, not with the first.

49 minutes ago, FullbackZD said:

...Frankly Borjan is everything our players need to get motivated, views and people that he is promoting and supporting killed Modrics grandpa on his doorstep as well as thousands of others...

I know what side Luka Modric's uncle on his mother's side fought on and why people like Milan Borjan's family feared an independent Croatia after what happened to Croatia's Serbian minority from 1941-45 so spare me biased one-sided history lessons. Neither side was blameless and squeaky clean. Beyond that if you are taking a post that claims Zagreb and Split have a combined IQ of 90 seriously you clearly have issues.

25 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Players have mentioned using  "bulletin board" stuff.

Rice specifically mentioned Moussa Dembele's wink after diving as motivation for the second leg of the Europa League tie between West Ham and Lyon last season.

West Ham won 0-3 away in that leg.

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Rice specifically mentioned Moussa Dembele's wink after diving as motivation for the second leg of the Europa League tie between West Ham and Lyon last season.

I think you could find just as many examples as the team "using" the bulletin board material being unsuccessful. They're just less likely to talk about it afterwards. 

12 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Frankly I think our best shot at points is have Croatia come at us. Glad to hear that's the plan.

Yes, I can see the game plan from Herdman being similar to the matches vs. the US, another team whose strongest element is the midfield. Concede possession, but clog up the middle, and look to counter-atttack, with opportunistic pressing in certain moments (goal kicks, deep throw-ins, etc.).

The problem is that Croatia is more dangerous in the attacking third compared to the U.S., but you don't get a lot of easy matches at the World Cup period, and especially as a pot 4 team, so we'll just have to take the opportunities we get in the Croatia end and hope Borjan is on his game.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Which explains in less than 35 words the reason West Ham is what it is.

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Which explains in less than 35 words the reason West Ham is what it is.

A club that doesn't like diving?

Edit: Strange concept for you I am sure 😉 

Edit, edit: Or a team that used that motivation to win a quarter-final in the Europa League last season. (Maybe Barcelona could have taken notes.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A club that doesn't like diving?

Edit: Strange concept for you I am sure 😉

Really reaching, when we're talking about teams that pass the ball, keep possession, tackle the ball not boots. Which you only know in England thanks to foreign players and coaches.

Your views are racist, fundamentally racist. Which is why I hate English football.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really reaching, when we're talking about teams that pass the ball, keep possession, tackle the ball not boots. Which you only know in England thanks to foreign players and coaches.

Your views are racist, fundamentally racist. Which is why I hate English football.

Don't know the history of West Ham. Fine.

Racist because I don't like diving? Ha.

Little bit of club banter. - Seems beyond you.

35 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You might want to do some research on Ron Greenwood and John Lyall. 

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

If the Croatian team is spending more than a minute thinking and talking about a stupid comment, Canada has won the exchange.

Reading their coaches quote about Croatia deserving respect because they made it to the finals in 2018 and not Brazil or Spain, tells me that Herdman's comments are doing exactly what they were intended to do. 

The comments have taken the attention off Borjan, and the David and Davies issues in game one. 

If this gives the Croats nore motivation, that's fine. Its more important to take the pressure of his players and actually motivate them to play harder. 

The other thing is because of his comments ppl are talking about football here as well. These comments were Win win win. 

Edited by Vasi

12 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Reading their coaches quote about Croatia deserving respect because they made it to the finals in 2018 and not Brazil or Spain, tells me that Herdman's comments are doing exactly what they were intended to do. 

The comments have taken the attention off Borjan, and the David and Davies issues in game one. 

If this gives the Croats nore motivation, that's fine. Its more important to take the pressure of his players and actually motivate them to play harder. 

The other thing is because of his comments ppl are talking about football here as well. These comments were Win win win. 

We looked nervous and were snatching at chances in the first game.

Whatever helps us move beyond that.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

For me, same guys starting but Kone for Hoillet.  With Hutch being his mentor out there for at least, hopefully, 65 minutes, he gives us speed, range, and the ability to drive into the box for late arriving runs on the attack.  We need Hoillet as a Quaresma wing threat off the bench for this one.  Unlike Caldwell, I am loathe to drop Laryea, so no starting place for Larin but an important sub role to poach in the final 20/25 minutes of a close game.

Gonna be a classic.  I'm chilling some sparkling white wine to enjoy for brunch on the West Coast after we win tomorrow!

Edited by BearcatSA

3 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Yes, I can see the game plan from Herdman being similar to the matches vs. the US, another team whose strongest element is the midfield. Concede possession, but clog up the middle, and look to counter-atttack, with opportunistic pressing in certain moments (goal kicks, deep throw-ins, etc.).

The problem is that Croatia is more dangerous in the attacking third compared to the U.S., but you don't get a lot of easy matches at the World Cup period, and especially as a pot 4 team, so we'll just have to take the opportunities we get in the Croatia end and hope Borjan is on his game.

Are they though? Their front line doesn’t exactly strike fear in the heart…

Excited to see how we line up tomorrow. The Croatians will be up for this, but mostly because they feel they underperformed vs. Morocco AND because they saw how we played versus Belgium. Their manager's comments suggest that coming into this tournament they were indeed underestimating our qualities, but the game against Belgium opened their eyes. (Herdman's gaffe, in this light, is irrelevant UNLESS his comments have distracted him and/or the team to the point that they are not focused on preparation and game plan AND/OR the comments have distracted the Croatian manager and/or his squad from the same.)

I am expecting a war, a game similar to the one we played the US in Hamilton, which means when we counter we need to be clinical in finishing. But I have no doubt we'll come out fearless and alive and full of belief. This is going to be a nail biter, I suspect. Who is going to want this more? I suspect that despite everything that has happened since Belgium, the Croatians are still underestimating us. We are a massive underdog here, but a result is there for the taking.