Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

On 11/24/2022 at 2:03 PM, Allez les Rouges said:

Scenarios for remaining games

In all cases, Canada advances with 2 wins and is eliminated with any further loss; I examine the other cases below.

If BEL/MAR draw
Canada advances with a 2-goal win and a draw.
Canada advances with a 1-goal win and a draw UNLESS tiebreaker goes beyond goal differential and Canada loses it.
Canada is eliminated with 2 draws.

If BEL beats MAR
Canada advances with win vs. CRO and draw vs. MAR UNLESS CRO beats BEL and wins tiebreaker against CAN.
Canada advances with draw vs. CRO and win vs. MAR UNLESS CRO beats BEL.
Canada is eliminated with 2 draws UNLESS BEL beats CRO and CAN wins 3-way tiebreaker.

If MAR beats BEL by x goals
Canada advances with win vs. CRO and draw vs. MAR UNLESS any ONE of the following occurs:
- BEL beats CRO,
- BEL draws CRO and x=1 and CAN beats CRO by only 1 goal and BEL at least matches CAN in total goals,
- CRO beats BEL and wins tiebreaker against CAN.
Canada advances with draw vs. CRO and win vs. MAR UNLESS EITHER of the following occurs:
- BEL does not draw CRO and either CAN beats MAR by 0.5x goals or less or (CAN beats MAR by 0.5x+0.5 goals and has fewer total goals than MAR)
- BEL draws CRO and x=1 and CAN beats MAR by only 1 goal and is not among the two teams advancing via the BEL/CAN/MAR tiebreaker (all 3 teams at 0 differential, so starts with total goals for)
Canada is eliminated with 2 draws.

My takeways:
- Overall, BEL/MAR draw is the best scenario for Canada, although BEL beating MAR is the only case where Canada could advance with 2 draws.
- BEL win is preferable to MAR win if Canada then beats CRO.
- MAR win, especially a small one, is arguably preferable to BEL win if Canada then draws CRO. It would give Canada control of its destiny, but may require a margin of victory against MAR.
- In any case, Canada will need help if it draws MAR on the 3rd matchday UNLESS BEL/MAR draw and Canada beats CRO by 2+ goals, in which case a draw vs. MAR would be guaranteed to suffice.

WC 2022 Scenarios.png

2-0 MAR win vs. BEL means that the last column of the table applies. In more detail, to advance, Canada needs:

(a) 2 wins, or

(b) win vs. CRO and draw vs. MAR and EITHER:
- BEL/CRO draw
- CRO win vs. BEL and fails to win tiebreaker against CAN, or

(c) draw vs. CRO and win vs. MAR and EITHER:
- BEL/CRO draw
- CAN beats MAR by at least 2 goals.

7 minutes ago, Califax said:

Can I just say - and Im sorry if it's off topic - but this pissing match between Kilbane and Pesch is a pretty stupid thing to going on about on the day of our biggest game ever.

Especially ironic for anyone on TSN to get their guard up when their indifference to soccer is part of the reason the players and the CSA are at odds. 

What's all this then?

2 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Larryea was terrific so I get why he's starting again but it's wild adekugbe isn't starting either game after the way WCQ played out

True, but if David is lined up more defensively again, which I think we (and he) need there is no room for Adekugbe. In a way, it's wild that Adekugbe got so much time in a lineup that includes one of the world's best left backs.