Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

My take is that Herdman did it on purpose. We were never "expected" to beat Croatia whether he opened his mouth or not but people would "understand" an upset after the way we played Belgium.

This drama just added this extra pressure on Croatia that they must not only win but humiliate us. Could take them out of their game

The one thing that would really grind the gears of the Croats is that this is not only a manager who has never played or managed at a club level making this statement, it's that he made his name in the women's game.  I wouldn't underestimate the extra effect on the vitriol and distraction that will cause in the Croatian camp.

Call me crazy but I'd like to see Kone start. He was the only Canada player that looked like he was playing scared last game but I think with the right Herdman confidence-boosting pep talk he's a player that can add some attacking thrust from a different area of the pitch. Osorio could do the same, of course, but I think the range of possibilities is wider with Kone.

Edited by jonovision

20 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

We're gonna have to be disciplined with challenges around our penalty area against the dead ball threat of Modric.  That's my probably my biggest concern defensively.  Surely we'll be better in dealing with route one than we were on the last two goals we have conceded.

Croatia will try a few of those especially with Modric's  passing. Belgium would have scouted/reviewed the Japan game. I'm not sure how we deal with that if both CBs lack pace, unless one or both drop back deep which raises other problems.

We dealt with de Bruyne, we can deal with Modric. I'd consider an unchanged lineup, but would also like to see Larin in there. I know he hasn't played.much, but him and David have been fantastic together for us.  I though Hoillet wasn't effective, and might consider him coming out for Larin, but I'd be happy with the same lineup. 

Laryea was fantastic.  I was shocked to see him start over Adekugbe, but in the end he deserved it. He needs to play again. 

I suspect we'll try the same game plan against Croatia, with a few touches in the odd position, so we will need:

fitness, everyone on the pitch has to be ready physically (for me Larin is not fully fit; Hutch can handle 60, everyone else is fine)

finishing, we might as well try to score again (this is a message to the strikers, especially, can't miss this time; their keeper is not as good as Courtois)

pressure on the ball (in the middle, as we did against De Bruyne, who is not as good as Modric imo)

character (I already thought they'd try to throw bodies into Borjan in the box; now I think we'll get some rough play and they may key Davies, so we better be ready to give it back)

reffing (this Uruguay-Argentine team will be interesting, which is why having guys who can jaw in Spanish can help: Oso, and a place for Cavallini as a sub)

I think we do need a change but probably the only one would be Adekugbe in his natural left back position and Davies further up in Hoillet's spot, Eustaquio taking the free kicks.

I dont know about all that.. when Croatia became a country they're identify was solidified by immediately doing fantastic at the World Cup with Suker. I think theybwant to the semis. A big wave of people came to Canada after that war and its just one generation removed. I'm as nationalistic as they come but we don't have to get too carried away. All the Croatians I've talked to are cheering for Croatia but are pumped about Canada being there and look at this as just a real unique situation to be enjoyed 

9 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

My Canada XI would be

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe

CB- Vitoria 

RB- Miller

LWB- Davies

LCM- Kone

CDM- Eustaquio 

CDM- Osorio

RWB- Johnston

CF- David

CF- Larin

(3-5-2) also

Interesting take.  You have many guys in experimental positions.

Adekugbe doesn’t ever play LCB. That would be a huge risk to try him in an unfamiliar position.

Miller is left footed and never plays for canada as a rcb. I can’t see him playing there.

Oso can do a ok job as a 6 but his best attribute is finding pockets of space in attacking positions. I’m not sure why you’d play him out of position against a midfield of croatias quality.

AJ is a great rwb but doesn’t ever play there for canada. I’m sure he would be fine tho  

Buchanan on the bench seems wild. I think he needs to start.  

12 hours ago, The Pessimist said:

If you were Herdman would you want that picture posted on the dressing room bulletin board?

Honestly, this might be a good way to have a laugh and get the players minds to lighten up.  

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

pressure on the ball (in the middle, as we did against De Bruyne, who is not as good as Modric imo)

This surprises me a little, only because of the hype that seems to come with KDB.  I admit, I don't watch as much club footy as I'd like and tend to rely a lot on match reports and punditry, and from what I gather, KDB is the best in the world.  I would assume that Modric is past it base on age mostly, I mean, can anyone name a 37 year old athlete that is one of the best in the world?  But I read English media on the topic: BBC, Guardian, Sky, etc.  And the English can't fawn enough of Pep and his team, so maybe that's a big part of it too.  

I'll take your opinion because you certainly watch more than me, I just hope that at 37 on short rest following a compacted start of the season that he doesn't have the legs he needs against us.  The same can be said for us - and Hutch in particular - but I don't think we're as dependent on him or another player as Croatia seems to be on Modric.  

But hey, as expected this is a World Championship match.  It's entirely possible that we get the title on Sunday, and maybe even leave Qatar with it.

I know I did the scenarios for Canada advancing, but I'm still keeping my expectations low. This teams scored 13 goals in its last 8 CONCACAF qualifying matches, which is not bad, but when you look at it more closely:
- 4 vs JAM
- 3 due to goalkeeper mistakes (vs CRC, 1st vs MEX, 1st vs USA)
- 3 with late-game long balls catching opponent trying to make up a deficit (2nd at HON, 2nd vs USA, 2nd at SLV)
- 1 opponent own goal (1st at HON)
- 1 by Atiba's butt (1st at SLV)

In the 7 non-JAM games, the only goal that didn't stem from a goalkeeper mistake, late-game long ball or lucky finish was the 2nd goal vs MEX. And one can argue Ochoa misplayed that cross too.

Now, opponent goalkeeper mistakes are very much part of the game when you carry play like Canada often does. So I'm not saying they didn't deserve those goals or that they won't score. But regardless of how many chances they created, it's no surprise they couldn't crack a beast like Courtois.

Going forward, even a single goal in the last two games would be a major accomplishment, and if it's a go-ahead goal, it could lead to more (and potentially allow them to advance if they keep two clean sheets).

10 hours ago, reggietfc said:

i hope we beat them jus to shut up the croatians that are born here or made a life here and drive around with ther flags on their cars,its total disrespect.and that goes for other countries that Canada will face down the road

There are plenty of Croatians who I know, and have met, who are proud of supporting Canada as well.

Or who could be torn, since they do feel they have a legit chance to win a WC and may support their team for those reasons in this match.

I watched the last final at the Wicklow in False Creek, they opened early, like 7am on a Sunday, it was a wonderful atmosphere. Packed, free coffee, they could not bother charging for anything. I still remember a young Croatian woman with her boyfriend, her face in the colours, with tears running through the paint after they lost.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist