Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

59 minutes ago, The Pessimist said:

Herdman's quote was bulletin board material for Croatia. Would this be bulletin board material for Canada? If I were Herdman, probably not.

Its the world cup. I dont think Croatia is going to play any harder than if Herdman didnt make the comments. Its not like theyre going to play better or give extra effort because the opposing coach said we’re going to “f” you up. 

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

He repeated it outside the huddle when he was asked what did he tell the boys.

More accurately, he confirmed what he had said rather than being like a weasely politician and deny it.  He also provided context and affirmed his respect for the Croatian team.

A bigger question for me is, how did that Croatian newspaper get Herdman to pose for the photo?

9 minutes ago, Kingston said:

More accurately, he confirmed what he had said rather than being like a weasely politician and deny it.  He also provided context and affirmed his respect for the Croatian team.

I think it was a good move.  The Croatians were under a little pressure because everyone expects them to win, now that has been ramped up.  Herdman didn't guarantee a win, nobody outside this board is gonna remember what he said a week from now.  If you have low expectations, people will go out of their way to meet them, you gotta shoot for the stars.

2 minutes ago, Canucklehead69 said:

Could this have partially been a ploy to keep their media away from talking about our Serbian born keeper and ours from piling on Davies?

Has put all the heat on himself rather then the team

Doubtful, but that's definitely a positive spin on it.

3 minutes ago, frmr said:

As awkward as it is, that tabloid photo of Herdman should be on the changing room wall. If someone disrespected a much-loved manager of mine like that I would be seething.

One of my favourite hockey stories was Johnny Bauer let in a bad goal with a few minutes left in the game.  Coach Punch Imlach told his players at the bench "Your goalie was made to look like a horse's ass, do we allow one of our teammates to be a horse's ass?"  They scored with a minute to go.

For sure it is.. Gretzky in Salt Lake

All that.. I think its good. Now the guys are 100% focused on this one game because it's their Alamo. Focus off Phonzie and puts a little bite in the game which is good for our guys. Croatians are great but what's the opposite of not taking yourself too serious? That's Croatians. I suspected this type of reaction. Me likey, Sunday just got even more spicy 

Edited by SpursFlu

I think it does put more pressure on Croatia. They're national identity is really wrapped up in their football team. They have a lot to be proud of but they have a big ego when I comes to football. They're under pressure always but to lose to Canada and after this little women's coach said he was gonna f them? Trust me, there will be national outrage and would be a huge embarrassment for Croatians. As professional as their players are, they'll be gripping their sticks a little tighter

Edited by SpursFlu

If you are going to talk about putting the heat on yourself, Davies taking that penalty. 

I was against it, I would prefer about 5 others. But he is probably best prepared to live with missing it, so it was leadership, anyway you look at it. 

Until, of course, the coach designates a taker (which would be, imo, as Herdman is concerned, a better definition of "putting the heat on yourself").

22 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

For sure it is.. Gretzky in Salt Lake

All that.. I think its good. Now the guys are 100% focused on this one game because it's their Alamo. Focus off Phonzie and puts a little bite in the game which is good for our guys. Croatians are great but what's the opposite of not taking yourself too serious? That's Croatians. I suspected this type of reaction. Me likey, Sunday just got even more spicy 

Much like the Great One, Herdman isn't an idiot with his words I have to assume he thought this out

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you are going to talk about putting the heat on yourself, Davies taking that penalty. 

I was against it, I would prefer about 5 others. But he is probably best prepared to live with missing it, so it was leadership, anyway you look at it. 

Until, of course, the coach designates a taker (which would be, imo, as Herdman is concerned, a better definition of "putting the heat on yourself").

We're supposed be talking about Herdman looking like the guy from operation not Phonzie pk miss anymore

Geez some people just don't want to fall for the mind games. Get with the program 

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Herdman is very careful about what he says to the press and I was surprised with his "we'll F Croatia" I thought it was a mistake. Then bang this front page. That's what he wanted. He wanted the Croatians to respond. That front page is better bulletin material than his "we'll F Croatia."

I agree with you and really thought this was intentional and not emotional. My take is that he wants Croatia to think we'll come out pressing the way we did against Belgium. I suspect the reality is that we bring in an extra midfielder in a 3-5-2 and try to do a bit more on the counter when Croatia go for the early knockout. Herdman is an experienced tournament manager and a draw keeps us alive.