Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

30 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

My point of comfort going into Sunday's match, other than the fact that we played great against Belgium, is that Luka Modric looked every bit the midfielder creeping up on middle age against Morocco. 

Modric is 37 so for all we know this is his last World Cup but as a 37 year old he still looks to be in fine form just like CR7

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

I would start the exact same we started, except switch Hoilett, for Adekugbe, and he drops back to play where Davies where Davies was so he could be further up.

I’m not sure Hutchinson can start again. 
I also think there’s a good chance Larin comes into the starting 11

18 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’m not sure Hutchinson can start again. 
I also think there’s a good chance Larin comes into the starting 11

I agree with the first part; torn on the second.

Croatia have a better midfield than Belgium overall.  I think you need 3 in the centre of the park against them.  

You could do a basic 352 with Larin but you lose Hoilett probably and  pull Tajon back.

I honestly hope how poorly Belgium played died not change our game plan against Croatia.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I agree with the first part; torn on the second.

Croatia have a better midfield than Belgium overall.  I think you need 3 in the centre of the park against them.  

You could do a basic 352 with Larin but you lose Hoilett probably and  pull Tajon back.

I honestly hope how poorly Belgium played died not change our game plan against Croatia.

I think this is what will happen.

As much as I like Hoilett, like Hutch I don’t think he can effectively go another 70+ min on the tight turnaround.

I would like see him off the bench for maybe 20 min. Then get the start against Morocco.

I like the David & Larin combo and the 3-5-2 best

9 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Modric is 37 so for all we know this is his last World Cup but as a 37 year old he still looks to be in fine form just like CR7

We can only hope Modric's form is like Ronaldo's.

(I write 10 minutes before Portugal kicks off, not knowing whether he'll turn back time in a national team jersey)

1 hour ago, ob1 said:

As much as I like Hoilett, like Hutch I don’t think he can effectively go another 70+ min on the tight turnaround.

I would like see him off the bench for maybe 20 min. Then get the start against Morocco.

From a tactical tinker, having Hoillet come on in the last 20-25 minutes gives us our best attacking difference maker from the wing and I think we will need that in another close contest.

Hutchinson's savvy and composure on the ball are pluses; his lack of pace is a worry (18th minute when Belgium broke our press and de Bruyne outsprinted him while on the dribble but let us off the hook with that wrong passing selection).  To use the trendy term from last year's sports lexicon, "load management" is the key.

As long as Eustaquio can deliver for 90, we're in it.  If he has any lingering fitness concerns, we'll be in tough.

2 hours ago, ob1 said:

Don't forget Hoilett has been playing 90 for Reading on tight turnaround this season. So I think he would be fine. Tactically, does it make sense? That is an open question. 

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

Larin is our only header threat from the forwards.   I think we need that threat in the box.

David   Larin

Davies Staq Hutch Tajon

Sam Miller Vic AJ

I like this, but I think we need another guy in that middle. 
At times we were stretched, with Staq and Hutch. I would rather sacrifice up top (Larin) and have him come on as an option, along with Hoilett. 

So small tweaks to your lineup....

------------------David
Davies----------------------------Tajon
--------- Staq---Hutch-Osorio
Sam-------Miller--------Vic ---------AJ

Having Larin, Hoilett, Laryea as game changers off the bench is huge.

I'm worried Herdman's "Eff Croatia" commentary is going to hurt us. I understand he's trying to keep morale high and it's perfectly fine to say that in private. But he should have kept that to himself. He got caught up in the moment and slipped that in the post-match reaction. Croatia are going to use that as fuel.  

God I'm so anxious for Sunday. How am I going to get through two more shifts of work 😭