Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

Just now, jonovision said:

The goal against was a bigger sequence of mistakes. And there were many other opportunities in that match that went asking due to poor finishing or poor referee's decisions.

Yup. 20+ shot attempts and no goals is not a good look. Especially after the earlier game today. 

Just now, jonovision said:

The goal against was a bigger sequence of mistakes. And there were many other opportunities in that match that went asking due to poor finishing or poor referee's decisions.

That penalty though would have changed the rest of the game. The "first WC goal" monkey would have been off their shoulders. They would have played with more confidence. The game after the PK it looked like the players were lacking confidence and nervous. The missed PK was a catalyst for the rest of the game's outcome.

3 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

That penalty though would have changed the rest of the game. The "first WC goal" monkey would have been off their shoulders. They would have played with more confidence. The game after the PK it looked like the players were lacking confidence and nervous. The missed PK was a catalyst for the rest of the game's outcome.

The PK was in the first 10 minutes. We dominated almost the rest of that first half though. 

Edited by gwsmith63

2 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

They lacked composure in the final third though.

Maybe so, but I don't see the connection between this fact and the PK miss. Nerves are understandable as that was the biggest stage all but Davies will ever have played on. I also don't think this group feels the weight of Canada's past record at the World Cup. 

Hoping for better today.

48 minutes ago, Califax said:

Can I just say - and Im sorry if it's off topic - but this pissing match between Kilbane and Pesch is a pretty stupid thing to going on about on the day of our biggest game ever....

Peschisolido has a point though. The CMNT has been around for many decades and its the stars from its past that belong on a studio panel right now not a Republic of Ireland international like Kevin Kilbane, but Canadian sports broadcasters always have to find a way to make sure soccer is othered and set apart from mainstream Canadian culture at least on the mens side of things.

Having got that out of way, time for the team to get into these rakija swilling and olive oil and bread eating so and sos and get through to the last 16 after losing that slight hint of hesitancy through fear of what was in truth a mediocre opponent that held things back a bit against Belgium. If Luka Modric plays one of the games of his life then hopefully they at least come out of this one with the feeling that they turned in the best possible performance and left it all out on the field of play.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

With that Mor-Bel result we now need  to win both games. I know mathematically there is an opportunity to go through with a draw and a win but I don't trust the math gods so let's just win our next two games.

Edited by Sal333

Just now, Sal333 said:

Not in the final third we didn't

Coisty’s quote was ‘lacking confidence and nervous’. 

I don’t agree that was the case. Irrespective of what happened in the final third we certainly were not lacking confidence and nervous based on the way the rest of the first half and then quite a bit of the second half played out.

However, we can agree to disagree. All good.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Peschisolido has a point though. The CMNT has been around for many decades and its the stars from its past that belong on a studio panel right now not a Republic of Ireland international like Kevin Kilbane, but Canadian sports broadcasters always have to find a way to make sure soccer is othered and set apart from mainstream Canadian culture at least on the mens side of things.

I mean they have JDG, Tos and beckie doing analysis vs. 2 non Canadians (Caldwell and Kilbane - both of whom are naturalized Canadians and live here full time). Seems a bit odd to complain about this