Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is this fact or speculation? because it has never been clear to me from @RS. My assumption has always been that the deal between CSA and BMO is a fact, but whether that equates to similar or more profit than playing at a full BC Place is speculation. 

If Rudi or anyone else can speak more to it, go for it!

Admin has mentioned in various threads that the rent for BC Place is high enough that it negates the increased revenue from a larger crowd. 

3 hours ago, RS said:

It wouldn't work with the current roof.

Plus, BC Place is used heavily for trade shows, monster truck rallies, etc. That kind of heavy use will not work on grass, hybrid or not.

Not really, that is a bit of a myth. 99% of the trade shows that used to be at BC Place now go to the much nicer Vancouver Convention Centre. There are only 3 non-sporting events booked for the rest of this year (the Weeknd, Motley Crue and Elton John). It has been this way for a while now. I think only the Boat Show is left and maybe the Home and Garden Show. Monster Trucks have been at the PNE Coliseum for years now. 

The roof is a problem though for grass.

The entire BC Place roof replacement and renovation was such a fiasco and so short-sighted. Lipstick on a pig when they should have just imploded it, built a 45,000 seater on a much smaller footprint, with proper and much steeper seating tiers that the local teams actually want to use. The rest of the land could have been sold off for condos to pay for it all, with whatever mix of social housing would have been needed to get it approved. 

2 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Not really, that is a bit of a myth. 99% of the trade shows that used to be at BC Place now go to the much nicer Vancouver Convention Centre. There are only 3 non-sporting events booked for the rest of this year (the Weeknd, Motley Crue and Elton John). It has been this way for a while now. I think only the Boat Show is left and maybe the Home and Garden Show. Monster Trucks have been at the PNE Coliseum for years now. 

The roof is a problem though for grass.

The entire BC Place roof replacement and renovation was such a fiasco and so short-sighted. Lipstick on a pig when they should have just imploded it, built a 45,000 seater on a much smaller footprint, with proper and much steeper seating tiers that the local teams actually want to use. The rest of the land could have been sold off for condos to pay for it all, with whatever mix of social housing would have been needed to get it approved. 

Why must you bring logic to this? 

2 hours ago, Soro17 said:

they should have just imploded it, built a 45,000 seater on a much smaller footprint, with proper and much steeper seating tiers that the local teams actually want to use. 

The bolded part is what stood for me a negative when i went there for the first and only time in the last WCQ cycle.  Overall it was good facility with good environment, amenities, location,… etc etc.   But the flatness and low degree of incline of the stands means that you feel very far from the action.   I have heard the same complaint of Skydome (the lower level) several times.   I am wondering if this is because of building codes regulations in Canada.  Maybe there is accessibility requirements build into the Cnd building codes so that there arent steep steps for the walking aisles .   BMO field doesnt have this problem but it was built as a less 20k seat facility so the norms might be different.  But at the same time i have heard complaints at year end SSH meeetings that BMO is not great for ppl who need wheelchairs.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

The bolded part is what stood for me a negative when i went there for the first and only time in the last WCQ cycle.  Overall it was good facility with good environment, amenities, location,… etc etc.   But the flatness and low degree of incline of the stands means that you feel very far from the action.   I have heard the same complaint of Skydome (the lower level) several times.   I am wondering if this is because of building codes regulations in Canada.  Maybe there is accessibility requirements build into the Cnd building codes so that there arent steep steps for the walking aisles .   BMO field doesnt have this problem but it was built as a less 20k seat facility so the norms might be different.  But at the same time i have heard complaints at year end SSH meeetings that BMO is not great for ppl who need wheelchairs.

For BC Place, I believe it needed a large footprint because it was an air supported dome. Or it could be the 1980s building codes that were in effect when it was built. The upper decks are BC Place are quite steep, so it probably isn't the building code. 

I don't want to get too deep in the old "where should the CMNT play" debate, Toronto, Edmonton, Hamilton, etc, have done amazing jobs. but as a Vancouverite, I will just post this picture from the 2015 WWC and say that it would be amazing to see a CMNT game back on the west coast. Would love to see Phonzie play at BC Place one more time.

bc-place-stadium-fifa-womens-world-cup-2

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I don't want to get too deep in the old "where should the CMNT play" debate, Toronto, Edmonton, Hamilton, etc, have done amazing jobs. but as a Vancouverite, I will just post this picture from the 2015 WWC and say that it would be amazing to see a CMNT game back on the west coast. Would love to see Phonzie play at BC Place one more time.

bc-place-stadium-fifa-womens-world-cup-2

Beautiful picture. I don't think many fans are against it even though that narrative is pushed heavy around here.
To me, this looks like our national stadium...it's just...it's just....the pitch 🤷🏿‍♂️

Not only the whole fake grass debate, but it doesn't play true. You don't have to be a professional to know this.

Solve the pitch, and we have a marquee stadium.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It looks like both Tunisia and Nigeria are coming to North America in June:

https://www.primicias.ec/noticias/jugada/ecuador-seis-amistosos-gustavo-alfaro-mundial-catar/

Ohhh yea seems feasible, we can definitely play the Africans on turf, they won’t care r or even demand a big appearance fee.

Tunisia would be a great warmup for Morroco.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

Ohhh yea seems feasible, we can definitely play the Africans on turf, they won’t care r or even demand a big appearance fee.

Tunisia would be a great warmup for Morroco.

For June:

It looks like the USA will play Uruguay and Ecuador.

Mexico will play Ecuador and Uruguay.

Both of Uruguay's and Ecuador's schedule look full but I can't find who else Nigeria or Tunisia are playing. Any other non-CONCACAF teams reported in the media as travelling to North America in June?

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For June:

It looks like the USA will play Uruguay and Ecuador.

Mexico will play Ecuador and Uruguay.

Both of Uruguay's and Ecuador's schedule look full but I can't find who else Nigeria or Tunisia are playing. Any other non-CONCACAF teams reported in the media as travelling to North America in June?

This disproves the theory that you have to play opponents in Pre WC friendlies that are stylistically like the sides in your group.    They are playing two south American sides and yet are in a group with Iran and two sides from the British Isles (or Ukraine)

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This disproves the theory that you have to play opponents in Pre WC friendlies that stylistically like the sides in your group.    They are playing two south American sides and yet are in a group with Iran and two sides from the British Isles (or Ukraine)

All it proves is that the USSF and FMF are very good at making money off friendlies in the USA.

Nigeria and Tunisia would be good opponents for Canada. Would be weird for me personally to watch us play Nigeria, but I guess I would understand how Jamaican Canadians and Haitian Canadians routinely feel. 

But that said, we really should capitalize on both teams being on this side of the pond. Tunisia I would imagine is a no brainer, while the fact we recently played the Super Falcons on the woman's side could lend itself to a potential friendly with the Super Eagles.

Also, Mexico will play 3 friendlies in June, plus 2 nations league games? USA will play 2 friendlies + 2 nations league games?

Meanwhile, we are speaking about a single friendly? I want us to play 2 here. 3 would probably be overboard and unnecessary. I don't think Mexico would be doing it if it weren't for the financial considerations. 

Finally, look at what's missing here! Brazil and Argentina! Mexico is clearly booked up, meanwhile the USA could play either if they insist on playing a 3rd friendly like the Mexicans, but they won't be playing both, clearly.

Brazil looks to be in Asia playing Japan and (weirdly) Guatemala. Argentina are in London to play Italy on the first, as we already knew.

So on one hand it looks like Brazil and Argentina won't won't be in North America this summer, but on the other hand if they do come Canada would seem to be the obvious opponent. Argentina in particular I can see going to Toronto or Montreal after the Italy game. Brazil seems very unlikely though.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

This disproves the theory that you have to play opponents in Pre WC friendlies that stylistically like the sides in your group.    They are playing two south American sides and yet are in a group with Iran and two sides from the British Isles (or Ukraine)

I don't think anyone has suggested that you "have" to play stylistically-similar-to-your WC opponents in pre-WC friendlies, just that a lot of teams do that because its useful preparation. With both the US & Mexico playing a whole whack of teams before November, its unsurprising that they will be playing against some teams that are not similar to the styles they will be facing (although Mexico, who will see Argentina as their biggest rival, seems to be playing against every SA opponent they can find).

22 hours ago, Shway said:

Why because of the limited sun?

I’m sure theres gotta be a way sOme engineer can figure out, the need just isn’t there - yet. 

The best engineering solution appears to be at Wembley, where they completely replace the pitch every two to three months. Assuming that adding sunlight isn't an option.

Even at BMO Field, you can see the impact of the shadow from the south stands on the grass, at late-winter matches - compared to the parts of pitch that don't receive mid-day shade in the winter.

On 4/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, Ruud said:

Saputo would be the venue unless they want to put real grass in Olympic stadium and sell 60k for Argentina?  

If only I'd used a smiley.

31 minutes ago, nfitz said:

The best engineering solution appears to be at Wembley, where they completely replace the pitch every two to three months. Assuming that adding sunlight isn't an option.

Even at BMO Field, you can see the impact of the shadow from the south stands on the grass, at late-winter matches - compared to the parts of pitch that don't receive mid-day shade in the winter.

If only I'd used a smiley.

Yup missed the irony

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Nigeria and Tunisia would be good opponents for Canada. Would be weird for me personally to watch us play Nigeria, but I guess I would understand how Jamaican Canadians and Haitian Canadians routinely feel. 

But that said, we really should capitalize on both teams being on this side of the pond. Tunisia I would imagine is a no brainer, while the fact we recently played the Super Falcons on the woman's side could lend itself to a potential friendly with the Super Eagles.

Also, Mexico will play 3 friendlies in June, plus 2 nations league games? USA will play 2 friendlies + 2 nations league games?

Meanwhile, we are speaking about a single friendly? I want us to play 2 here. 3 would probably be overboard and unnecessary. I don't think Mexico would be doing it if it weren't for the financial considerations. 

Finally, look at what's missing here! Brazil and Argentina! Mexico is clearly booked up, meanwhile the USA could play either if they insist on playing a 3rd friendly like the Mexicans, but they won't be playing both, clearly.

Brazil looks to be in Asia playing Japan and (weirdly) Guatemala. Argentina are in London to play Italy on the first, as we already knew.

So on one hand it looks like Brazil and Argentina won't won't be in North America this summer, but on the other hand if they do come Canada would seem to be the obvious opponent. Argentina in particular I can see going to Toronto or Montreal after the Italy game. Brazil seems very unlikely though.

Tunisia would make sense in Montreal at saputo.  About the right venue 

Just now, narduch said:

Mexico also has the advantage of having a strong domestic league that has a good relationship with its FA.

So they can easily call up a domestic squad for friendlies during non FIFA dates 

Mexico has has played out of window friendlies in the US in the past as the first game they play in May will be. 

Not that it's going to happen for this cycle, but I want to see us do the same thing with CPL.

I suppose the argument against it is that unlike Liga MX and MLS, the CPL is still too far away from the level required to harvest players for concacaf play.

The counter argument is that Costa Rica does this and they are getting on fine.

We also talk about increasing our depth, so what better way than having the CSA work alongside the CPL to arrange off-window friendlies?

I know they won't draw anything close to what Mexico would playing friendlies in the states with their all-domestic squads, but do they have to? Can we capitalize on Canada's newfound popularity? Can we play in, and sell out, our CPL stadiums for such an event? Can we have the league market the Canadian selection as a CPL All star teams, or something like that? But instead of it being a typical All Star game, make it a literal CMNT game, piggy back off the national team excitement and success, and play the smaller nations in CONCACAF. The CMNT builds depth, the CPL players have a carrot to chase, and the league gets a de-facto All Star game.

Just a thought!

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not that it's going to happen for this cycle, but I want to see us do the same thing with CPL.

I suppose the argument against it is that unlike Liga MX and MLS, the CPL is still too far away from the level required to harvest players for concacaf play.

The counter argument is that Costa Rica does this and they are getting on fine.

We also talk about increasing our depth, so what better way than having the CSA work alongside the CPL to arrange off-window friendlies?

I know they won't draw anything close to what Mexico would playing friendlies in the states with their all-domestic squads, but do they have to? Can we capitalize on Canada's newfound popularity? Can we play in, and sell out, our CPL stadiums for such an event? Can we have the league market the Canadian selection as a CPL All star teams, or something like that? But instead of it being a typical All Star game, make it a literal CMNT game, piggy back off the national team excitement and success, and play the smaller nations in CONCACAF. The CMNT builds depth, the CPL players have a carrot to chase, and the league gets a de-facto All Star game.

Just a thought!

This could almost be your "all-star" game. Call up the best CPL players and have them play a friendly against a nation willing to play out of window. Jamaica, Guatemala, etc. Put it in a CPL stadium that doesn't get the full national team.

On 4/9/2022 at 6:22 PM, Blackjack15 said:

Larger venue? Oh god please not the stade olympique! That place is horrible! (on the plus side I'd be there for sure. lol)

3 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Quite a few games here 

Now that's the kind of pre-WCQ line up I'd like to see!