Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

In the near future I would like to see Canada's games being played in different cities , Regina has built a pretty decent Staduim and so has Winnipeg . Being close to Toronto its great to see them play at BMO  But I think its time to grow the profile of the CMNT.

23 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

They must play a game or two in Montreal and Quebec city for the francophone citizens of La Canadá.  This is the way.  The national team is the team of everyone.  I would also start the more players there with French surnames,  piette creapeau etc etc

Don't forget Johnathan David...I being francophone and in Quebec would love nothing more if they came to Montreal but I get BC and Halifax who are further away the centre all want games too (I've made the drive to Toronto for games). Mainly though, I dont want the team to worry about being ambassadors or being politically correct, I want whats best for the players first and if thats less travel, Im fine with it.

6 hours ago, Cblake said:

I see the friendly in Toronto and as such they will hold training in the days leading up to it and after at TFC's training ground and then off to MTL for their opening NL match before jetting around to San Pedro Sula. I am assuming the friendly is a high profile or at least an attractive opponent. 

Which 6 or 7 players at TFCII do you also "see"  in the call-up, just to be consistent? 

The one thing that has not been brought up regarding where to play NL and friendlies: the CSA's relationship with provincial SAs. And perhaps with provincial politicians. 

There is no question: BC, between the habitually useless BCSA and he provincial government, was not able to bid to be a World Cup venue. That, apparently, is now being rectified, at least verbally. And perhaps de facto, if the women's matches vs. Nigeria seem to reflect. Montreal, in turn, backed down from an earlier WC candidacy, also a bit shocking and here too, a sign of weakness from the Québec SA. If do not have proper fluid institutional relationships, that makes it harder to negotiate things like friendlies, matches and other events.

I am not saying this is not something Bontis and his board have to work on harder, they most certainly do. Likely he needs to get his head out of his ass asap, because he does seem a bit parochial at times. Like the way the CPL better damn well hire a new head able to expand the league into Québec, and find the budget for a translator as well as French writers. 

It's just a thought, really, don't know if it really has any relationship or not.

43 minutes ago, David Pinto said:

Whereever game are held (and I agree things should be spread out a little more) I can't see them playing on turf in advance of the world cup. Especially if we are trying to have bigger countries come to Canada to play. 

I agree with this about the turf. My only hope is that the June friendly is a ways away from the WC and it could be used as a spectacle against a big team . Create some excitement, revenue, prepare the guys for a big atmosphere etc. Herdman did talk about the real focus period being right before the WC so September and the potential of playing games in the weeks leading up to the WC

Edited by SpursFlu

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The one thing that has not been brought up regarding where to play NL and friendlies: the CSA's relationship with provincial SAs. And perhaps with provincial politicians. 

There is no question: BC, between the habitually useless BCSA and he provincial government, was not able to bid to be a World Cup venue. That, apparently, is now being rectified, at least verbally. And perhaps de facto, if the women's matches vs. Nigeria seem to reflect. Montreal, in turn, backed down from an earlier WC candidacy, also a bit shocking and here too, a sign of weakness from the Québec SA. If do not have proper fluid institutional relationships, that makes it harder to negotiate things like friendlies, matches and other events.

I am not saying this is not something Bontis and his board have to work on harder, they most certainly do. Likely he needs to get his head out of his ass asap, because he does seem a bit parochial at times. Like the way the CPL better damn well hire a new head able to expand the league into Québec, and find the budget for a translator as well as French writers. 

It's just a thought, really, don't know if it really has any relationship or not.

I agree with the CSA getting a full-time translator. It's disgusting that they haven't yet.

However for the WC-Quebec candidacy that was all on the Quebec government. They refused the chance to participate.

The rest of Canada forgets or doesn't know that the present government is  quasi-sovereignist. The premier was a former member of the PQ  and left it not because he became a federalist but because he didn't believe the Quebecois wanted another debate on the subject i.e he didn't think you could win an election on the PQ's platform and he definitely wanted power.

Now what does this have to do with soccer and the world cup? Soccer in this province is still immigrant driven. Just take a look at the ratings on RDS for the WC qualifying matches. They were abysmal when compared to the rest of Canada. There are two reasons for those ratings. Soccer ain't a thing in Quebec and at least a third of the population couldn't give a flying puck about the Canadian national team. The second third may care but find soccer a bore and it's only the final third, who are mostly immigrants and Quebecois fanatics, that love the sport. The premier knows this and figured he wasn't losing any votes by refusing a chance to host the World Cup.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was all political.. it was the NDP playing to their base and saying look at us we're giving evil FIFA the middle finger. Now they're broke and are coming crawling back. BCSA or anything else had nothing to do with it

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree with this about the turf. My only hope is that the June friendly is a ways away from the WC and it could be used as a spectacle against a big team . Create some excitement, revenue, prepare the guys for a big atmosphere etc. Herdman did talk about the real focus period being right before the WC so September and the potential of playing games in the weeks leading up to the WC

But what larger country would agree to it? As an example is Argentina going to agree to put Messi on a turf pitch? I could be wrong but with the stigma turf fields have I would doubt it. 

35 minutes ago, David Pinto said:

But what larger country would agree to it? As an example is Argentina going to agree to put Messi on a turf pitch? I could be wrong but with the stigma turf fields have I would doubt it. 

Depends on how we define "larger country".

The way I see it, there are only 2 teams in the Americas who are high profile enough for turf to be a factor - Brazil and Argentina. 

We are having the turf debate as if it's a given we're gonna be playing 1 of those teams, but odds are we play someone other than Brazil and Argentina.

There are many teams that would be good opponents and I just have a gut feeling we are going to play someone closer to our level in June, like an Alegria, Ecuador, Chile, Tunisia, Japan, Colombia, etc. It may not even be a WC team, but rather a very good team that fell short. For example, only 3 of those 6 teams I just listed qualified, but they are all relatively the same strength, or at least in my opinion. I won't bother looking up rankings, but I am pretty sure all but Ecuador are ranked ahead of us, and they are a so-called WC team. I know we've improved, but I don't see us holding our nose up to such teams. 

1 hour ago, David Pinto said:

I'm with you.. maybe one that isn't going to the World Cup. Colombia, Ireland, Italy, Ukraine 

1 minute ago, Meepmeep said:

Knock yourself out.  The full list can be found here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_soccer_team_results

Lol I probably won't. But my point is at a certain point your on a plane so whats another hour or so. But trust me you think we in BC whine and cry. Pacific Northwest have the same attitude about always being excluded. But at least in the US there are hundreds of options 

19 hours ago, gigi riva said:

In the near future I would like to see Canada's games being played in different cities , Regina has built a pretty decent Staduim and so has Winnipeg . Being close to Toronto its great to see them play at BMO  But I think its time to grow the profile of the CMNT.

The problem with many Canadian stadiums is that they weren't build to be turn key operations for soccer.

Regina has stitched in football lines. Both have turf and Winnipeg's likely needs replacing. 

The profile grows by winning, making it to the World Cup, doing better than expectations at the World Cup, having superstar players & having transcendent moments. Playing in different cities is good to do but not necessary for the men's team. 

15 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I agree with the CSA getting a full-time translator. It's disgusting that they haven't yet.

However for the WC-Quebec candidacy that was all on the Quebec government. They refused the chance to participate.

The rest of Canada forgets or doesn't know that the present government is  quasi-sovereignist. The premier was a former member of the PQ  and left it not because he became a federalist but because he didn't believe the Quebecois wanted another debate on the subject i.e he didn't think you could win an election on the PQ's platform and he definitely wanted power.

Now what does this have to do with soccer and the world cup? Soccer in this province is still immigrant driven. Just take a look at the ratings on RDS for the WC qualifying matches. They were abysmal when compared to the rest of Canada. There are two reasons for those ratings. Soccer ain't a thing in Quebec and at least a third of the population couldn't give a flying puck about the Canadian national team. The second third may care but find soccer a bore and it's only the final third, who are mostly immigrants and Quebecois fanatics, that love the sport. The premier knows this and figured he wasn't losing any votes by refusing a chance to host the World Cup.

You could argue new demographics, and new sociological trends in BC, would also make politicians believe that people are not interested in a World Cup, or even soccer in general.

Thing is, depends how you frame things. Does the Québec government not want Canadian flags being waved in a stadium? Fine. Are they going to change the name of a hockey team in the same line of thinking? Not likely. If you are smart, you lever an international event to favour your interests. Vancouver benefitted from the Olympics and its Expo, as Montreal did with its Expo and Olympics--remembering that now, internationally, people take about Comaneci, not the financial mess.

The question is Québec is obvious enough to me, as I live in Catalonia. I just went to the first Spain national team match held in maybe 20 years in Catalonia, they don't play here because they are intimidated by anti-Spanish feeling, as happens in the Basque Country. So they just ignore the massive following they have as appeasement; the atmosphere was absolutely unrreal, perhaps the most intense and cohesive support for a team I have seen, rivalling only the clásico at Camp Nou.

It goes to extremes: the cycling Vuelta Ciclista, the Tour of Spain, often does not run stages through Catalonia or the Basque Region. 

That all said: in Canada it is entirely to our benefit to be inclusive, and focus specifically on Québec when it comes to soccer. For the talent, for the passion, to draw out what might be different characters and styles of play to benefit the diversity of our game. To give kids a professional path. To make a special effort to express the virtues of the country on the soccer field as well, not a half-assed effort, which was Clanachan's byline. He obviously did not really care at all. The CSA, has it ever had a Quebecoic president? Little things. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The CSA, has it ever had a Quebecoic president? Little things. 

Dr Dominic Maestracci was voted pres. in 2007. Mont Vic was also in the running till he pulled out.

Edited by MtlMario

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That all said: in Canada it is entirely to our benefit to be inclusive, and focus specifically on Québec when it comes to soccer. For the talent, for the passion, to draw out what might be different characters and styles of play to benefit the diversity of our game. To give kids a professional path. To make a special effort to express the virtues of the country on the soccer field as well, not a half-assed effort, which was Clanachan's byline. He obviously did not really care at all. The CSA, has it ever had a Quebecoic president? Little things. 

I totally agree; however, to dance you need two people.  Just one person doesn't cut it.  There are reasons  why the highlighted sentence is - sorry to say - a little naive

1) If you discount Piette and Crepeau take a look at the up and coming soccer players from this province: Kone, Zouhir, Giraldo. Rea, Breza, Pantemis, Bassong, Brault-Guillard,, Assi, Giraldo, Ferdinand, Yao, Saliba on one side of the scale and you have Sirois and Choiniere on the other side.  That tells me pure laine Quebecois for the most part are not interested in soccer as participants or fans.

2) You couple that tidbit with the fact that there's a segment of the Quebec population that wants absolutely nothing to do with Canada or immigrants. How large is that segment? My guess is a third of the province (but my guts tell me I'm underestimating) and that segment is heavily represented in government so we see Quebec policy slanted in one direction. And what is that direction? The CSA offered Montreal a slice of the World Cup pie. Legault's government looked at the reality of my first point and said basically fuck you to CSA. What did you want the association to do? This present government wants to achieve sovereignty through the backdoor. It doesn't like the Canadian flag on Quebec territory. Doesn't like franco Quebecers achieving success alongside Canadians: i.e. the men's and women's Canadian soccer teams. It sets a bad example. And it doesn't want to invest in a "fringe" sport even though the majority of immigrants and their children see it as the only truly international sport. That's why Quebec doesn't have a team in the CPL. That's why Quebec told the CSA to go shove it when they were offered World Cup matches. You're not dealing with rational, logical people. You're dealing with ideologues.

8 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I totally agree; however, to dance you need two people.  Just one person doesn't cut it.  There are reasons  why the highlighted sentence is - sorry to say - a little naive

1) If you discount Piette and Crepeau take a look at the up and coming soccer players from this province: Kone, Zouhir, Giraldo. Rea, Breza, Pantemis, Bassong, Brault-Guillard,, Assi, Giraldo, Ferdinand, Yao, Saliba on one side of the scale and you have Sirois and Choiniere on the other side.  That tells me pure laine Quebecois for the most part are not interested in soccer as participants or fans.

2) You couple that tidbit with the fact that there's a segment of the Quebec population that wants absolutely nothing to do with Canada or immigrants. How large is that segment? My guess is a third of the province (but my guts tell me I'm underestimating) and that segment is heavily represented in government so we see Quebec policy slanted in one direction. And what is that direction? The CSA offered Montreal a slice of the World Cup pie. Legault's government looked at the reality of my first point and said basically fuck you to CSA. What did you want the association to do? This present government wants to achieve sovereignty through the backdoor. It doesn't like the Canadian flag on Quebec territory. Doesn't like franco Quebecers achieving success alongside Canadians: i.e. the men's and women's Canadian soccer teams. It sets a bad example. And it doesn't want to invest in a "fringe" sport even though the majority of immigrants and their children see it as the only truly international sport. That's why Quebec doesn't have a team in the CPL. That's why Quebec told the CSA to go shove it when they were offered World Cup matches. You're not dealing with rational, logical people. You're dealing with ideologues.

This may be the argument on this side of history. I appreciate the argument, more or less. 

The day you have two Québec teams in the CPL and they work, and the CPL also wakes up a bit (scores of leagues in the world have multi-language websites, for example), then the argument slips away. 

In Spain, where similar sentiments and perhaps even stronger may exist in Catalonia and the Basque Country, it turns out the clubs who have most intensely competed in the Spanish Cup, now the Copa del Rey (referring to the monarch), are Athletic Club from Bilbao and FC Barcelona. So once you are in, you can still be a club proud of your local, linguistic and cultural identity, promoting it--and we should remember that the CPL has encouraged this with the clubs-- and still play in the Canadian league. 

Fact is, Canadian national teams have played more in Montreal than Spain has in Barcelona or Bilbao, at least in the last 30 years or so.