Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

20 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

The son of Pierre is behind it , it seems.  Argentina wants to play un the french Canadá dont know why, maybe for logística the Trudeau airport 

Weird they specifically want to play in French Canada. I would have thought that'd be more of a Canadian request than an Argentinian one. Perhaps it's to mitigate travel from London? Toronto would only add an extra hour (or less) of airtime, but maybe that hour counts as far as Argentina is concerned....

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Weird they specifically want to play in French Canada. I would have thought that'd be more of a Canadian request than an Argentinian one. Perhaps it's to mitigate travel from London? Toronto would only add an extra hour (or less) of airtime, but maybe that hour counts as far as Argentina is concerned....

They probably just want to play in the Big O knowing it was where Bruce Jenner achieved all his Olympic success 

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

The son of Pierre is behind it , it seems.  Argentina wants to play un the french Canadá dont know why, maybe for logística the Trudeau airport 

There are no direct flights from EZE to to Montreal.   Only to Toronto, so i dont follow the "logistica" there

16 hours ago, narduch said:

USA v Ghana on June 1. Any news on Canada's games?

The original rumour had them looking to play Mexico and the USA.

However Mexico's calendar is now full.

https://ghanasoccernet.com/2022-world-cup-ghana-fa-to-line-up-at-least-three-friendlies-for-black-stars-in-june

So we could conceivably host Ghana on Sunday, June 5th.

-----

For September, it still looks like Argentina will come to North America and play the USA and either El Salvador or Canada.

https://www.diariohoy.net/el-clasico/amistosos-y-gira-en-estados-unidos-el-camino-de-la-seleccion-antes-de-catar-196571/amp

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Well, as anyone who has been in a plane knows, that last hour is always by far the longest. 😄

10 hours ago, RS said:

Temporary grass can easily be installed at the Big O for an Argentina friendly. They've played on temp grass in the States before so they would presumably be fine with it.

Something easy at the big O?  That would be a first.  Where Hagen Daaz expired since 2015 was sold a few weeks ago!

35 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Something easy at the big O?  That would be a first.  Where Hagen Daaz expired since 2015 was sold a few weeks ago!

It’s a dump. I’m not buying this Javier Quebec angle. It makes no sense. If Argentina come to Canada to play, easy to say it would be BMO because of the grass, but I don’t think it is insurmountable to convince them to play a game on turf in Vancouver. If they are promised a boat load of money, I’m sure they’d consider it at say BC Place 

4 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

It’s a dump. I’m not buying this Javier Quebec angle. It makes no sense. If Argentina come to Canada to play, easy to say it would be BMO because of the grass, but I don’t think it is insurmountable to convince them to play a game on turf in Vancouver. If they are promised a boat load of money, I’m sure they’d consider it at say BC Place 

I wonder if Vancouver comimg back into the conversation for 2026 will be a factor....

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For September, it still looks like Argentina will come to North America and play the USA and either El Salvador or Canada.

https://www.diariohoy.net/el-clasico/amistosos-y-gira-en-estados-unidos-el-camino-de-la-seleccion-antes-de-catar-196571/amp

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Argentina is playing Brazil in Australia on June 11th:

https://www.tsn.ca/brazil-argentina-to-play-in-australia-ahead-of-world-cup-1.1787824

Would seem to me that Argentina is more likely for September than June.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I would rather we play a strong Euro team in Sept for prep vs Belgium, & Croatia

UEFA Nations League is making that difficult. 

Our only match against a Euro team may be in November right before the World Cup

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

UEFA Nations League is making that difficult. 

Our only match against a Euro team may be in November right before the World Cup

Nov would be ok if we can pull it off. We need a game or 2 vs strong Euro teams before going into our first 2  WC pool games

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Nov would be ok if we can pull it off. We need a game or 2 vs strong Euro teams before going into our first 2  WC pool games

The games further out are less relevant as far as preparing goes, so I think it's fine if we don't play strong Euro teams until November. As for Argentina, I am fine with it because they are "elite" and we need to experience that. Playing them in June or September is more about "feeling" what it's like to play a top side than about "preparing" in terms of replicating what Croatia, Morocco or Belgium will throw at us. June is probably too early to prepare in a very specific way. Instead, we likely use this time to iron out our own kinks and fine tune our own tactics.

Maybe it's the same for the Americans and Mexicans, both of which aren't playing teams that'll be a proxy for Iran, England, Poland or Argentina. Instead, they're playing the likes of Uruguay and Ecuador. Good sides but not really similar to the teams they'll be facing at the World Cup.

Edited by Obinna

I don't understand the stress.  We're playing Curacao in June and they're like Holland Jr. and the Netherlands are right next to Belgium.  So same-same pretty much.

Then we play Honduras who are all as old as dirt so that's pretty much the same as playing Croatia, no?

Everything's perfect.  No complaints.  10 out of 10.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

😄

How quickly we've gone from "this program needs competitive, non-friendly games" to "Nations league is redundant I wouldn't miss it".

But we have a Gold Cup which Is basically the same competition , would rather have the chance to play countries outside of our region from time to time .

6 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

But we have a Gold Cup which Is basically the same competition , would rather have the chance to play countries outside of our region from time to time .

Considering we qualified for the world cup at least we're looking to play those friendlies, apparently....

Edited by Obinna

On 4/15/2022 at 12:49 AM, JAVIERF said:

Argentina is near to seal an agreement to play in your International huge Olympic Stadium in Quebecois Canada before or after the Italy game, it seems down here

More likely the Saputo stadium in the Olympic Park if there's any truth to this.

Edited by nfitz