Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Except for the Whitecaps, who love playing during international breaks for some reason.

They host RSL on June 4. It's the only MLS game that week.

That not only has implications for Cavallini, Gutierrez and potentially Cornelius, but possibly also for Canada playing at BC place.

I can't see them playing there on, say June 2nd, then Vancouver playing there two days later. Not saying they technically couldn't, but somehow I don't see it. 

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That not only has implications for Cavallini, Gutierrez and potentially Cornelius, but possibly also for Canada playing at BC place.

I can't see them playing there on, say June 2nd, then Vancouver playing there two days later. Not saying they technically couldn't, but somehow I don't see it. 

Think Cornelius'  loan to Panetolikos was for 2 seasons. Gutierrez is on the bubble and Cav may be as well.

Just now, Kadenge said:

Think Cornelius'  loan to Panetolikos was for 2 seasons. Gutierrez is on the bubble and Cav may be as well.

Ah right! I totally forgot about that. I have been contemplating how Vancouver use him upon his return, but we'll have to wait a while for that. And now that you have jolted my memory, I think it may have been 18-months.

*checks transfermarkt*

His "contract" (assuming this means his loan) with Panetolikos expires at the end of this year, so indeed it's for 18-months. They have an option to buy as well.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/derek-cornelius/profil/spieler/328609

10 hours ago, Cblake said:

Montreal and Toronto easily fit the bill. 

Add Ottawa too. 

Here’s my perfect scenario. 

I can see a top tier friendly being played June 4th (Saturday) or 5th (Sunday) with the best squad available in Toronto. 

Some guys given some time off in their city. The extended squad travelling to Montreal to play Curaçao on the 10th, and there being heavy rotation. 

The squad returns to Toronto in the morning on the 11th, has two training sessions 11th and 12th, and then the squad flies out to San Pedro Sula on the 13th, has an even training session with their game the following day against Honduras. 

Boom. CSA hire me.

4 hours ago, Shway said:

Add Ottawa too. 

Here’s my perfect scenario. 

I can see a top tier friendly being played June 4th (Saturday) or 5th (Sunday) with the best squad available in Toronto. 

Some guys given some time off in their city. The extended squad travelling to Montreal to play Curaçao on the 10th, and there being heavy rotation. 

The squad returns to Toronto in the morning on the 11th, has two training sessions 11th and 12th, and then the squad flies out to San Pedro Sula on the 13th, has an even training session with their game the following day against Honduras. 

Boom. CSA hire me.

In b4 angry Vancouverites

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm actually buying the Vancouver friendly, Victoria Curacao concept. I think if your going to bring in a big team and they're willing to play on turf why not maximize the revenue. Top team in the world(pick your team) would sell out BC Place with the cheapest ticket $100. It would be a major event

I like this idea. As a someone from Toronto, I am blessed to have been able to watch so many games live. But we need to grow the game country wide. The biggest issue is the turf. If we get Argentina or a team like that to come up, older starts are not going to take the field. It is a big injury concern to put an old Messi on turf. Or any other older or injury prone player. 

But I like the idea going out west or east. 

We need more grass stadiums!

7 hours ago, Shway said:

[...]

Boom. CSA hire me.

I'll let you look up what was the last opponent the men played in Montréal ;). 

I think a sleeper friendly that would be very interesting and a huge draw in Vancouver would be Ireland. Not saying it would happen but uou know ypu could pull it off and they would likely bring their A game. The atmosphere would be fantastic.

It is not a debate about rivalries between regions. 

Herdman, faced with speculation and a lot of people already buying travel to Vancouver, anticipating the US game, specifically came out and said that it was not the time to do anything but think of the best option for classification. 

He also said that there would come time later to share the team around, using words similar to that. 

Now's the time, if they want to do it. It would also work in Montreal if it has to go that way. This is a CSA decision, the same way Hamilton was a CSA decision. 

The only factor is that apart from the longer travel to Vancouver (where the sages in Ontario always forget that transatlantic flights don't do pitstops at Pearson) is only relative, the flight to Honduras is longer from Vancouver, that is true. It was an argument we all accepted for 3-match windows, because we were not going to go to Honduras, fly to Vancouver, then fly back to Central America with significant extra travel time. Both directions and high demand matches. 

Now it is entirely different.

This match could also be played in Montreal, no problem. Or Winnipeg. Or Ottawa. To fulfill what Herdman said would happen, and respond to the clear concept of letting fans across the country enjoy the national team.

People arguing that after most European seasons end you can't fly and do a camp and matches in Vancouver is really ridiculous. Equally silly is arguing the absolute merits of BMO and spending all this effort dissing every other venue--BMO looks frankly tinny, it's small, and the image it gives is pro-am at best. BC Place if far and away the best looking venue in Canada, in the best conditions. It also ensures revenue for the CSA that might, depending on the rival, literally double what they got from the last match in Toronto.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There are some people here amongst us that truly believe that every game that the CMNT ever plays at home should be played in Toronto. They will use all sorts of obtuse arguments and mental gymnastics, even resorting to lying about flight times, in order to justify their selfish position. They don't even care if the bullshit arguments they make completely contradict the previous bullshit argument that they made the last time. It's pretty pathetic, really.

I don't really care where these games are played and I'm on the record with my opinion that BC Place is the best stadium in the country, but I'll once again repeat that BMO Field's status as the National Soccer Stadium (and Canada Soccer's massive role in getting it built 15 years ago) means that its revenue-generating capability for the CSA is unique in this country.

The CSA makes as much money (or close to it) at a sold-out BMO as it does in any of the seven larger venues in the country. That will always be factor in favour of BMO every time games are planned. Add in the grass field, and it may win out.

For teams like, say, Argentina or Brazil that demand a seven-figure appearance fee right off the top, and will only play on grass (which would add another six figures to the bill), plus stadium rental fees... it may make more sense financially to host them at BMO.

Now maybe given the suddenly plum financial situation Canada Soccer finds itself in, the revenue issue of a one-off friendly (or multiple friendlies) may not be as big a deal. Canada should play games on the west coast, but the revenue advantage that BC Place appears to have on the surface is not as easy as counting up the seats and multiplying by $100.

All of that being said, it's not my money and I'm fully on board for the "big" friendly at BC Place + CNL home game vs. Curacao at Starfire one-two punch in June. I think that'd be a cool set of games that would differ enough from each other to make it special, while reaching two big soccer hotspots in the country.

42 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There are some people here amongst us that truly believe that every game that the CMNT ever plays at home should be played in Toronto. They will use all sorts of obtuse arguments and mental gymnastics, even resorting to lying about flight times, in order to justify their selfish position. They don't even care if the bullshit arguments they make completely contradict the previous bullshit argument that they made the last time. It's pretty pathetic, really.

It's like wow throw us a friggin bone. Even in a hypothetical they won't even give other people some shine. Imagine if every single USMNT game was played in New York? It wouldn't even be a conversation 

You know I was thinking maybe perhaps for one of the friendlies... No! Toronto Toronto Toronto. It took us 50 games to get a sell out.. Toronto Toronto Toronto 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think a sleeper friendly that would be very interesting and a huge draw in Vancouver would be Ireland. Not saying it would happen but uou know ypu could pull it off and they would likely bring their A game. The atmosphere would be fantastic.

We won’t be able to play friendlies against European teams (except for the week before the World Cup, and that wouldn’t be in Canada) because they have Nations League in June and September.

I continue to enjoy the debate. I have no horse in the race as I live in central Canada and don't foresee the CMNT having a training camp or playing games here anythime soon, if ever.

However, it may be good for some to listen to what the coach actaully had to say about the upcoming matches and friendlies. 

From 8:00 minutes - 11:30 - Sure doesn't sound like Herdman is interested in bringing the team anywhere but a central location. 1 friendly in June before the Nations League. Sure wants the team in Europe in September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOSUsKqQ-8

Edited by Rougeisthecolour

7 hours ago, Vasi said:

I like this idea. As a someone from Toronto, I am blessed to have been able to watch so many games live. But we need to grow the game country wide. The biggest issue is the turf. If we get Argentina or a team like that to come up, older starts are not going to take the field. It is a big injury concern to put an old Messi on turf. Or any other older or injury prone player. 

But I like the idea going out west or east. 

We need more grass stadiums!

I really do see that March NL game being Vancouver's. There time will come. I see June being east (TOR & MTL), September in Europe and then the World Cup. 

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The CSA is in talks with Montreal to host a match in June. It's not clear they may host a friendly or our CNL match.

I see the friendly in Toronto and as such they will hold training in the days leading up to it and after at TFC's training ground and then off to MTL for their opening NL match before jetting around to San Pedro Sula. I am assuming the friendly is a high profile or at least an attractive opponent.