Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

31 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I don't understand this argument.  Whether or not you've been injured playing on turf has no bearing on this.  We're talking about having a friendly with a top 10 or top 20 country.  Like it or not, the vast majority of those countries would prefer to not have games on turf.  Whether it is because of ignorance or elitism or science that they believe this doesn't matter.

Further to that, most top 10 or top 20 nations aren't begging for friendlies.  They can pick and choose.  Rarely will they choose to fly such a distance to play on turf when other options are available.

The new surface at the Monumental where River plays is hybrid. Okay, mostly grass, but still. 

This argument used to be made playing the Spanish Cup, any team could refuse to play a Cup match vs. a lower league team with a plastic pitch. One of the results was that when matches were switched to grass pitches by the Federation, some local sides would go no-show. Why renounce the income and pleasure of the fans at home just because some mammoth team, all of whose players played on artificial surfaces when young, don't want to touch it?

Now of course, FIFA does not agree with nations complaining about an artificial surface for official matches, just the opposite. But true: for a friendly, you can set the terms and reject a pitch if it is not what you are looking for.

About putting in grass: I went to the notorious Whitecaps - Man City debacle at Empire Field, where they put down a surface, it poured like hell, there was no proper drainage, they worked all night to de-waterlog it, and then they played on a disaster of a surface that only Wright-Phillips could figure out. Think Dzeko was injured on that stuff. If you are going to put down a surface, you have to do it right, you need time for it to settle, it is costly as hell--and even then it is not a sure thing.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Possible consequence: perpetually stalled programme. 

One factor: they lose the advantage of Azteca and wonder why, many of their own players are not even used to it. Not only from playing in Europe, from not playing back home.

How when they play each competitive game at the Azteca...if anything that keeps the fear prestige, and removes familiarity that you would have in the frequency of playing there. 

Fans in Monterey or Puebla see the NT less than fans in Florida or Texas, makes zero sense. You say money funneling back to the federation, true. Perhaps things like the Mexican women's league have benefited. But the men's programme is stalled.

Canadian fans in Florida have had the opportunity to see the team a lot more than fans in Alberta. This argument can be said for a lot of countries, and a lot of scenarios. For countries that share a line (border) the way they do it's a bad analogy IMO.

Then when they play official matches vs the US, they lose in the same scenarios they have success in with friendlies. Interesting really: so the programme is not benefitted on a sporting level by playing in the US, it is only financial (if that).

They lost to a good USA squad, and the best team while being underprepared for the Iceteca against Canada.
There youth programs are typically at every tournament FIFA tournament. You think this is coincidence? Not indicative of financial gain? In addition to FIFA tournaments they are typically at various intl youth tournaments.

In any case: you need to play in the circumstances that are most challenging or difficult for you. We are playing in a warm Arab country in the WC? Go play in North Africa or the Middle East to prep. We are playing Morocco? Let's play a N African team, but in North Africa, that is a true test. Not Tunisia in Montreal, with their players at end of season, tired from the travel, with no fan support. Sure, as they are qualified for the WC they will play seriously, but still, it is only a partially valid test.

I agree let's schedule a game in Pheonix, Arizona in June at 2 mountain time....this will set the tone.

On 4/13/2022 at 2:37 PM, Shway said:

How when they play each competitive game at the Azteca...if anything that keeps the fear prestige, and removes familiarity that you would have in the frequency of playing there. 

Canadian fans in Florida have had the opportunity to see the team a lot more than fans in Alberta. This argument can be said for a lot of countries, and a lot of scenarios. For countries that share a line (border) the way they do it's a bad analogy IMO.

They lost to a good USA squad, and the best team while being underprepared for the Iceteca against Canada.
There youth programs are typically at every tournament FIFA tournament. You think this is coincidence? Not indicative of financial gain? In addition to FIFA tournaments they are typically at various intl youth tournaments.

I agree let's schedule a game in Pheonix, Arizona in June at 2 mountain time....this will set the tone.

Totally agree. I don't know how much its discussed, but one of the many reasons Costa Rica did so well in Brazil '14 was that their domestic players play(ed) in a similar climate. This is a huge advantage. Any 'acclimatization opportunities in North Africa, Middle East or worst case...Spain... Canada should prioritize those. A game in and versus Egypt would be awesome. 

11 hours ago, JBR said:

Totally agree. I don't know how much its discussed, but one of the many reasons Costa Rica did so well in Brazil '14 was that their domestic players play(ed) in a similar climate. This is a huge advantage. Any 'acclimatization opportunities in North Africa, Middle East or worst case...Spain... Canada should prioritize those. A game in and versus Egypt would be awesome. 

Other than playing our friendlies in Qatar (which was suggested by Bontis in his interview on Northern Futbol, and would be a good idea), our best preparations for stadium conditions would be playing our friendlies in the air conditioned retractable roofed stadiums found in the Southern US. 

4 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Other than playing our friendlies in Qatar (which was suggested by Bontis in his interview on Northern Futbol, and would be a good idea), our best preparations for stadium conditions would be playing our friendlies in the air conditioned retractable roofed stadiums found in the Southern US. 

Qatar only has 2 stadiums like those US stadiums

That being said I'm not sure the weather will be as big a deal in Qatar. Especially if the games are at night. That's why the tournament was moved

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think this is actually true about the AC.

That's just a lie they told to win the bid

Quote from recent article in Daily Mail: “Each venue, which are powered by solar panel farms, is also equipped with detailed cooling systems to battle the heat, while others have outdoor air-conditioning – even though the fact the tournament has now moved to the winter months has somewhat negated that”

11 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Quote from recent article in Daily Mail: “Each venue, which are powered by solar panel farms, is also equipped with detailed cooling systems to battle the heat, while others have outdoor air-conditioning – even though the fact the tournament has now moved to the winter months has somewhat negated that”

Outdoor air conditioning isn't a real thing.

Daily Mail just regurgitating press releases here

On 4/11/2022 at 1:16 AM, JAVIERF said:

Yes there is a chance it is almost confirmed, but they are playing vs Argentina they said in the french speaking province.  Quebec or Montreal are the cities pushing and maybe some say down here on tv aa a speculation that the son of Pierre is  involved somehow he  wants to bring Lionel Messi too.  

When I first read this post, I kind of rolled my eyes.   I was thinking:  was does soccer have to do with PM and why would the PM care about soccer or any other sport?  Does the PM really give a rats you know what about soccer?   And why would the CSA consider anything other than the interests of the team when scheduling opponents?  And what does playing against Argentina have to with playing in Quebec?  

Now, after reading this release below from the pmo office (from last week), I think you are on to something.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with President of Argentina Alberto Fernández | Prime Minister of Canada (pm.gc.ca)

"The two leaders agreed to continue to work together and with other regional partners on advancing common values and addressing global issues, including ensuring an inclusive global economic growth and bringing stability back to Venezuela through inclusive negotiations.

The two leaders looked forward to meeting again in the coming months to advance shared priorities in the region and globally while crushing some beers and watching Dybala get boot fucked by Richie Laryea." 

Edited by Califax

On 4/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It looks like both Tunisia and Nigeria are coming to North America in June:

https://www.primicias.ec/noticias/jugada/ecuador-seis-amistosos-gustavo-alfaro-mundial-catar/

Ecuador confirm the Nigeria friendly but not the Tunisia one.

Nigeria now have matches confirmed for May 28th and June 5th. It looks certain that we will not play them. I can't find any sources or new rumours on Tunisia.

12 hours ago, narduch said:

Outdoor air conditioning isn't a real thing.

Daily Mail just regurgitating press releases here

According to Qatar's Dr. Cool, outside air is cooled through air conditioning fans.

This cooled air enters the stadium through grills under each seat and large nozzles at pitch level. Algos control where the nozzles are directed and strength of air.

Then this cooled air is drawn back to be re-cooled and filtered. Then it is pushed out again into the stadium.

Dr. Cool says it works like a car's radiator.

Body 3_82.jpg

Edited by red card

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/qatar

The weather is not bad in November/December especially the latter.  It’s not that hot nor is the humidity is that high.  Honestly, the conditions in the 2026 World Cup will be a lot worse especially in some locations.

That being said, i suspect the non-European nations will have a slight advantage as more used to playing in summer like conditions.

22 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I can't find any sources or new rumours on Tunisia.

Maybe Tunisia won't travel to North America after all. It looks like they were invited by Saudi Arabia.

https://arriyadiyah.com/amp/765215

I'm not sure which options that leaves us with.

Maybe Uruguay since they haven't announced a friendly against the USA yet.

Not sure which other non-CONCACAF will be in North America.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:49 PM, JAVIERF said:

Argentina is near to seal an agreement to play in your International huge Olympic Stadium in Quebecois Canada before or after the Italy game, it seems down here

would Argentina really play on the artificial turf at olympic stadium?  i can't see it taking place..

11 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

would Argentina really play on the artificial turf at olympic stadium?  i can't see it taking place..

Likely why it’s taking so long to get confirmation!  A smaller team would be fine at saputo but Argentina wouldn’t play on turf.  That game sadly only happens at BMO 

Saputo ls a grass pitch? They are working in Argentina just a couple of years ago in the milk industry in Santa Fé province where Che Guevara, Bielsa  Messi and Chris de Burgh were born.  Canada may play in Argentina through Saputo company too!