Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

If we play in the south of France that gives me a possibility of going to see them. I don't want to take a flight unless very cheap, as I have other travel pending.

I'd suspect we'd play in Canada, but really we need to play away in North Africa ideally, just to start getting the feel of things, also the weather.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Russia might end up in Asia, the same way Israel is in UEFA.

Geopolitics aside, this would be very cool and interesting to see.

It would add some spice and diversity to AFC, not to mention strength. They challenge for WC qualification already in UEFA, so they'll surely be in the mix in Asia, though I would stop short at calling them a lock. It would also give us a good indicator of how the confederations stack up against each other. I know conventional wisdom is that Europe is hard to qualify from, so Russia in AFC would be a good litmus test on that wisdom. 

The club game would be interesting too. AFC Champions League winners tend to come from Japan, Korea, at times the Chinese Super League, and even the Saudi League with Al Hilal. Throw teams like CSKA, Spartak and Zenit into the mix and it would get pretty interesting. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Geopolitics aside, this would be very cool and interesting to see.

It would add some spice and diversity to AFC, not to mention strength. They challenge for WC qualification already in UEFA, so they'll surely be in the mix in Asia, though I would stop short at calling them a lock. It would also give us a good indicator of how the confederations stack up against each other. I know conventional wisdom is that Europe is hard to qualify from, so Russia in AFC would be a good litmus test on that wisdom. 

The club game would be interesting too. AFC Champions League winners tend to come from Japan, Korea, at times the Chinese Super League, and even the Saudi League with Al Hilal. Throw teams like CSKA, Spartak and Zenit into the mix and it would get pretty interesting. 

The Russian clubs would lose their minds if they couldn't access the tens of millions of Euros that UEFA dishes out for their club competitions.  

La primera parada será en Estados Unidos, en junio, donde se prevé jugar los días 2, 5 y 11. De momento el rival confirmado es México (domingo 5), federación con la que se firmó con “anticipación” un contrato para el amistoso en Chicago.

https://www.eluniverso.com/deportes/futbol/seleccion-de-ecuador-define-la-logistica-de-cara-al-mundial-qatar-2022-nota/

Ecuador has confirmed that they want to play 3 matches in the USA in June.

Hopefully that first match can be in Canada instead.

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

So its confirmed we will have a home Nations League game on June 10 v Curacao. 

The World Cup prep friendlies will have to be before.

Or have two Canada Teams A1 and A2.  

Team A1 plays Curaçao on the 10th and then travels to a SA team for a friendly, say Brazil or Peru on the 14th

Team A2 plays a friendly on the 10th say Japan or Korea in Vancouver, and then hosts Honduras on the 14th. 

Easy Peazy 😊😊😊

43 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

Or have two Canada Teams A1 and A2.  

Team A1 plays Curaçao on the 10th and then travels to a SA team for a friendly, say Brazil or Peru on the 14th

Team A2 plays a friendly on the 10th say Japan or Korea in Vancouver, and then hosts Honduras on the 14th. 

Easy Peazy 😊😊😊

Someone mentioned in another thread that we're not allowed to split and play two squads on the same day, though I haven't seen confirmation of this. 

The FIFA window technically opens on May 30th. Since we don't play Curacao until the 10th, there's plenty of time to play two friendly games beforehand. We could play on June 2nd (Thursday), June 5th (Sunday) and be well rested to play Curacao on the 10th, though if we are squeezing two games in here it may be best to have them at the same location (Montreal perhaps?). 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The FIFA window technically opens on May 30th. Since we don't play Curacao until the 10th, there's plenty of time to play two friendly games beforehand. We could play on June 2nd (Thursday), June 5th (Sunday) and be well rested to play Curacao on the 10th, though if we are squeezing two games in here it may be best to have them at the same location (Montreal perhaps?). 

As a point of reference Italy in June is playing June 1st, June 4th, June 7th , June 11th and 14th. (one friendly and 4 NL matches). So that is three matches before Canada has even played one.

54 minutes ago, Cblake said:

As a point of reference Italy in June is playing June 1st, June 4th, June 7th , June 11th and 14th. (one friendly and 4 NL matches). So that is three matches before Canada has even played one.

It's worth noting the entire Italian squad is based in Western Europe and Italy will play in England, Italy and Germany, which of course is a far cry from having to assemble a Canadian team by flying players in from all over Europe and North America.

The travel demands of both teams is very different. That has to be kept in mind when considering Italy plays 3 games before we play 1.

Edited by Obinna

Again, in my line of reasoning: I think it is better to train together, then play a single friendly on say the 4th-5th. We really have not trained since before the GC. We've played a lot together, a massive amount, and hardly really worked on details in training at all.

Where to play? Curaçao is not big enough to justify taking them to a major venue. It is a great opportunity to go to a site not mentioned much as a first choice, like Winnipeg, Ottawa or Moncton. Sorry, but the CPL venues are too small, unless the CSA still feels they owe one to Starlilght after cancelling during Covid (and after the Women have been there).

Not to say certain towns don't deserve bigger matches, but it how the draw has gone: it is not an attractive rival for most fans. Could we sell out Investor's in Winnipeg?

I think they were keen to show the team off to fans that have not seen it: friendly at BC Place I'd say. Even train out in BC, friendly, then host Curaçao in another venue.

Whitecaps are home on June 5, that could affect things.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Again, in my line of reasoning: I think it is better to train together, then play a single friendly on say the 4th-5th. We really have not trained since before the GC. We've played a lot together, a massive amount, and hardly really worked on details in training at all.

Where to play? Curaçao is not big enough to justify taking them to a major venue. It is a great opportunity to go to a site not mentioned much as a first choice, like Winnipeg, Ottawa or Moncton. Sorry, but the CPL venues are too small, unless the CSA still feels they owe one to Starlilght after cancelling during Covid (and after the Women have been there).

Not to say certain towns don't deserve bigger matches, but it how the draw has gone: it is not an attractive rival for most fans. Could we sell out Investor's in Winnipeg?

I think they were keen to show the team off to fans that have not seen it: friendly at BC Place I'd say. Even train out in BC, friendly, then host Curaçao in another venue.

They should do Curacao in Langford and the big friendly at BC Place. 

Just now, narduch said:

They should do Curacao in Langford and the big friendly at BC Place. 

Could work, means limited travel and the weather is optimal. There are also training facilities, like what the Caps have at UBC.

Question I guess is what day.

Canada could play on the 3rd or Saturday the 4th at BC Place, the Caps the next day.

Then go to Honduras, as there is no pressure to return to clubs back in Europe in the current group, we are not putting undo pressure on anyone due to travel.

The following year, March 2023, you can't go to BC, the travel is too much of a killer midseason.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could work, means limited travel and the weather is optimal. There are also training facilities, like what the Caps have at UBC.

Question I guess is what day.

Canada could play on the 3rd or Saturday the 4th at BC Place, the Caps the next day.

Then go to Honduras, as there is no pressure to return to clubs back in Europe in the current group, we are not putting undo pressure on anyone due to travel.

The following year, March 2023, you can't go to BC, the travel is too much of a killer midseason.

My other crazy idea is to have a big friendly in Europe say June 5 (Netherlands maybe) and then play the Curacao game in Halifax.

CSA hire me.

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's worth noting the entire Italian squad is based in Western Europe and Italy will play in England, Italy and Germany, which of course is a far cry from having to assemble a Canadian team by flying players in from all over Europe and North America.

The travel demands of both teams is very different. That has to be kept in mind when considering Italy plays 3 games before we play 1.

That is why London makes so much sense as a base in September, easy flights for both Canadian contingents. Even thought the window opens on May 30th, a lot of the euro seasons are over a week or two before. Phonzie is the only one from a Euro standpoint who may not be available right out of the gate. Also you can have the big friendly in Toronto and play the NL in Montreal. The Argos are at home on the 3rd, but by the 5-6th it should be ok. 

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

There are going to be a lot of pissed off BCers if they do not get a game soon.

For sure. QC folks aren't likely happy at this point either. I don't recall the province hosting a game since, well, Curacao. 

At least driving to Toronto for games is doable, so maybe West Coast folks are a little more pissed at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Phonzie is the only one from a Euro standpoint who may not be available right out of the gate. Also you can have the big friendly in Toronto and play the NL in Montreal. The Argos are at home on the 3rd, but by the 5-6th it should be ok. 

You're right. There's no reason why all the Euro based players cannot be assembled and ready to go by May 30th. Is there anything stopping them from reporting to camp before that? 

We won't be playing a friendly without the MLSers though. They won't all be able to join on the 30th, surely. I bet some will be rolling into camp on the 31, or possibly even June 1st, but yes the majority of the team should all be available by May 31. 

Few training sessions on the 31st and the 1st, then game on the 2nd. That's the soonest I can see us playing. That would be one day after Italy (if you'd still like to us to reference them) play their first match of the window.

And considering our travel challenges in comparison with theirs, that'd be pretty good, wouldn't you say.

Toronto or Montreal should be the plan. I can understand that BC wants a game, but they have turf and they're on the wrong side of the country. They get two women's game and they had a short flight to Edmonton for two more. 

I gotta figure it's Sunday June 5. Let the Canadian Championship have its day, but combine the hype train together. 

For sure. QC folks aren't likely happy at this point either. I don't recall the province hosting a game since, well, Curacao. 

At least driving to Toronto for games is doable, so maybe West Coast folks are a little more pissed at the moment.

You're right. There's no reason why all the Euro based players cannot be assembled and ready to go by May 30th. Is there anything stopping them from reporting to camp before that? 

We won't be playing a friendly without the MLSers though. They won't all be able to join on the 30th, surely. I bet some will be rolling into camp on the 31, or possibly even June 1st, but yes the majority of the team should all be available by May 31. 

Few training sessions on the 31st and the 1st, then game on the 2nd. That's the soonest I can see us playing. That would be one day after Italy (if you'd still like to us to reference them) play their first match of the window.

And considering our travel challenges in comparison with theirs, that'd be pretty good, wouldn't you say.

Last full day of MLS play is May 28th. So guys will likely start rolling in on the 29th. There is nothing stopping the Euro players from getting here earlier as they could have been done for a week or more from a club standpoint. I was just using the Italy example more because they are playing 5 games in such a short time frame, even with the shorter travel that is a lot of football with a game every 3-4 days. Even two days rest between the June 1 and 4th matches. A larger roster bringing brought in would help that. 

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Last full day of MLS play is May 28th. So guys will likely start rolling in on the 29th. There is nothing stopping the Euro players from getting here earlier as they could have been done for a week or more from a club standpoint. I was just using the Italy example more because they are playing 5 games in such a short time frame, even with the shorter travel that is a lot of football with a game every 3-4 days. Even two days rest between the June 1 and 4th matches. A larger roster bringing brought in would help that. 

Good to know about the last day of MLS play ending on the 28th. 

In that case I suppose it's possible to have our entire squad together for the beginning of the window (May 30th). Whether we actually bring in European players before the window starts remains to be seen. I don't have memory of us doing that.

I am all for a large squad.

2 friendlies would justify it. 1 friendly and I am not sure, as we've been rolling with 24-25 guys for 3 match windows lately. 

9 minutes ago, Califax said:

Toronto or Montreal should be the plan. I can understand that BC wants a game, but they have turf and they're on the wrong side of the country. They get two women's game and they had a short flight to Edmonton for two more. 

I gotta figure it's Sunday June 5. Let the Canadian Championship have its day, but combine the hype train together. 

I suspect they'd have an issue with how you worded that lol

I do agree that playing out east is easier for travel, and Montreal has been without games for even longer than Vancouver, so I think Montreal-Toronto is fair.

Or we can look at it from a capacity standpoint, in which case Toronto and Montreal have the wrong stadium size :)

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Will we lay down grass over the turf for Brazil?

I hate the idea of that. It usually just makes for a shitty, dangerous surface anyway. Didn't they do that in Seattle when we played Brazil in 08?

Vancouver has a new surface, so there's that, but I do have reservations over a Brazil or Argentina playing on that. From their perspective, why do so when there is a plethora of large American stadiums with grass?

Besides, I am thinking we end up playing the likes of an Ecuador anyways. I know Herdman wants us to experience a big dog, but it makes far more sense to do so once we have all our guys available. 

Good to know about the last day of MLS play ending on the 28th. 

Except for the Whitecaps, who love playing during international breaks for some reason.

They host RSL on June 4. It's the only MLS game that week.