Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

8 hours ago, Shway said:

I’ve suggested this:

- An expanded squad to 30 guys 🤭
- First team plays the friendly (1-16)
- Fringe first and new players play the Curaçao game (16-30)
- First team and standouts return for Honduras 

Honest to God I read "cringe first"

...and it made sense...

Herdman previously said no friendlies in November. You can find it in the early pages of this thread.

It’s frustrating to us but this delay in announcements isn’t incompetence. I see it as risk-taking. They are probably (obviously?) holding out for something splashy (ie that Argentina in Vancouver idea). The US confirmed Morocco, well, it's not that hard to get that game.

If Canada don’t get the big name opponent, the CMNT will play Algeria or whomever is available and is willing fly over for less. So be it. This game can’t be that important to Herdman as prep. In fact, based on how he rolled in qualifying, Herdman will want to surprise Belgium and Croatia with whatever he winds up doing there. The purpose of the camp will be more around team building, not in publicly revealing his strategic thinking around lineup, formations etc.

Iran in September could make sense in Germany btw.  Lots of Persians in Germany. Could be London too, for same reason. Or Qatar itself of course, if we put the September camp there, and play a mini tournament like the one in Korea in June. Which strikes me as a good idea.

Edited by ensco

2 hours ago, ensco said:

Herdman previously said no friendlies in November. You can find it in the early pages of this thread.

It’s frustrating to us but this delay in announcements isn’t incompetence. I see it as risk-taking. They are probably (obviously?) holding out for something splashy (ie that Argentina in Vancouver idea). The US confirmed Morocco, well, it's not that hard to get that game.

If Canada don’t get the big name opponent, the CMNT will play Algeria or whomever is available and is willing fly over for less. So be it. This game can’t be that important to Herdman as prep. In fact, based on how he rolled in qualifying, Herdman will want to surprise Belgium and Croatia with whatever he winds up doing there. The purpose of the camp will be more around team building, not in publicly revealing his strategic thinking around lineup, formations etc.

Iran in September could make sense in Germany btw.  Lots of Persians in Germany. Could be London too, for same reason. Or Qatar itself of course, if we put the September camp there, and play a mini tournament like the one in Korea in June. Which strikes me as a good idea.

A friendly isn't just about prep for the players though. There's actual national hype behind the team right now, and the CSA needs to be capitalizing on that, be it with a home friendly or taking the money to play overseas against an opponent who might not normally be available to Canada but is more interested now. To do nothing is a squandered opportunity from any perspective. 

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

A friendly isn't just about prep for the players though. There's actual national hype behind the team right now, and the CSA needs to be capitalizing on that, be it with a home friendly or taking the money to play overseas against an opponent who might not normally be available to Canada but is more interested now. To do nothing is a squandered opportunity from any perspective. 

I don’t disagree. I do think they had fewer reality-based exciting options than we might have been led to believe.

6 hours ago, ensco said:

I don’t disagree. I do think they had fewer reality-based exciting options than we might have been led to believe.

And what we do have is two very great salesman like talkers in Bontis and Herdman. However the latter has sold us into a great, reliable deal, that everyone could now trust. The former is saying too much too early (I.e both NFP interviews)

16 minutes ago, Razcal said:

They are also playing Mexico on the 5th.

Ecuador are indeed playing Mexico on the 5th, but what are Nigeria and Mali doing?

For some reason I thought Nigeria had a game on the 5th already but I seem to have mistaken their match with someone else's.

---

For now, it looks like the front runners for June are Nigeria, Mali and El Salvador (who were looking for a friendly in early June @ Uruguay but didn't get it).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ecuador are indeed playing Mexico on the 5th, but what are Nigeria and Mali doing?

For some reason I thought Nigeria had a game on the 5th already but I seem to have mistaken their match with someone else's.

---

For now, it looks like the front runners for June are Nigeria, Mali and El Salvador (who were looking for a friendly in early June @ Uruguay but didn't get it).

With Russia being kicked out of Nation's League, Iceland, Israel and Albania also have an opening. Would be interesting to see one of them play Canada.