Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

For some reason all these African team have African Cup of Nations qualifiers to play on June yet they are all booking friendlies for June.

Tunisia is back in the North American rumours.

http://orbitadeportiva.net/nuevo-amistoso-confirmado-ecuador-jugara-con-tunez-en-connecticut/

If they are playing Ecuador in the NorthEast USA on June 11th, they may be our opponent in Montréal / Ottawa / Toronto earlier in the month.

My speculation would be as follows

June: Tunisia

September: Iran & Argentina

November: One friendly in Europe or the Middle-East

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I referred earlier to a Perú-Morocco friendly in Barcelona, June 5th; now I see they have changed that.

Morocco still rumoured for the States. And New Zealand steps in and takes their place vs Perú, makes sense as they prep for the playoffs.

But will reduce the crowd considerably, and not sure I'd go without our group rival playing.

Morocco and the US isnt a rumor its confirmed

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1516869474602860545?s=20&t=BGe3WFxzFk9B6cPB9RGkUg

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For some reason all these African team have African Cup of Nations qualifiers to play on June yet they are all booking friendlies for June.

Tunisia is back in the North American rumours.

http://orbitadeportiva.net/nuevo-amistoso-confirmado-ecuador-jugara-con-tunez-en-connecticut/

If they are playing Ecuador in the NorthEast USA on June 11th, they may be our opponent in Montréal / Ottawa / Toronto earlier in the month.

My speculation would be as follows

June: Tunisia

September: Iran & Argentina

November: One friendly in Europe or the Middle-East

Question, why would you have a friendly right before the World Cup in November  ? You risk your best players. 

"the game against New Zealand is said to be final. God willing, we are consulting with one or two other teams. 

"There has been no talk about this game," Majidi said of the game against Argentina.

"We are negotiating about these games," he said of the game against Canada in Qatar. It does not end in a contract."

Google translate is not much help here :D

https://footballi.net/news/r/715911/ماجدی--نمی-توانیم-با-تیم-های-اروپایی-بازی-تدارکاتی-داشته-باشیم

On 4/22/2022 at 10:59 PM, Razcal said:

How in the holy hell has there not been any announcements or rumors yet about June friendlies?

USA/Mexico had this sorted out awhile ago.

I have the same question. Not a table scrap of news on this topic. 

I am struggling to comprehend how the US and Mexico have their spring/summer friendlies sorted and there is radio silence on the Canadian front with little more then 4 weeks out from the June window? 

Mexico has Nigeria (May), Uruguay and Ecuador (June), Paraguay (August) teed up.

US has Morocco and Uruguay (June) teed up. 

There was all this hype in the Canadian soccer media about potential friendly WC warm-up matches (including European teams - which is highly unlikely going to happen given their Nations Leagues schedules). 

I certainly hope that Canada Soccer is not reverting to the mean in terms of organization. 

Have our expectations risen to unrealistic levels?

1 minute ago, K-Dub said:

I have the same question. Not a table scrap of news on this topic. 

I am struggling to comprehend how the US and Mexico have their spring/summer friendlies sorted and there is radio silence on the Canadian front with little more then 4 weeks out from the June window? 

Mexico has Nigeria (May), Uruguay and Ecuador (June), Paraguay (August) teed up.

US has Morocco and Uruguay (June) teed up. 

There was all this hype in the Canadian soccer media about potential friendly WC warm-up matches (including European teams - which is highly unlikely going to happen given their Nations Leagues schedules). 

I certainly hope that Canada Soccer is not reverting to the mean in terms of organization. 

Have our expectations risen to unrealistic levels?

The US has also scheduled their Nations League home game.

What is the CSA waiting for?

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

The US has also scheduled their Nations League home game.

What is the CSA waiting for?

Probably trying to figure out how to schedule around the Whitecaps' June 4 home match and the 2020 Canadian Championship "final" on the same day.

Canadian soccer often shoots itself in the foot. 

EDIT: I'm referring to any possible friendly to be played immediately prior to the June 10 Nations League home match vs. Curacao. The CSA likely wants to have a friendly played nearby to reduce travel, and the existing club matches on June 4 are likely throwing a wrench into those plans.

"Starting at the end of next fall, CF Montréal and the Montreal Alouettes will be able to train and play some of their matches on a brand new synthetic playing surface at Olympic Stadium. That surface will meet the highest standards and be FIFA Quality Pro approved."

https://www.lapresse.ca/xtra/2022-04-27/parc-olympique/developpement-un-monde-de-possibilites-s-ouvre-pour-le-parc-olympique.php

52 minutes ago, Cadeau said:

In the Northern Futbol podcast, Gangues R. did say it was a high profile opponent rumoured for the friendly in June in b.c. so I don't see Tunisia fitting that description. 

If this rumour is to be believed - could it be Argentina?

They play Italy in London on June 1st and then Brazil in Melbourne on June 10th. Bit longer to fly via Canada (25-30 hours) than via Asia (22-25 hours) to Melbourne. 

Hmmm?

19 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Tunisia, Chile and Ghana are all playing in Japan on June 10th and 14th.

http://jfa.jp/samuraiblue/kirincupsoccer_2022/news/00029487/

Are one of those teams stopping in North America first? If so, crazy travel.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

"Starting at the end of next fall, CF Montréal and the Montreal Alouettes will be able to train and play some of their matches on a brand new synthetic playing surface at Olympic Stadium. That surface will meet the highest standards and be FIFA Quality Pro approved."

https://www.lapresse.ca/xtra/2022-04-27/parc-olympique/developpement-un-monde-de-possibilites-s-ouvre-pour-le-parc-olympique.php

I like that.. clearly the Big O needs a face lift but I kinda enjoy the look of a game at the Big O. It's always a good atmosphere and unique visual 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 4/27/2022 at 6:54 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Tunisia is back...

On 4/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Tunisia, Chile and Ghana

So in fact Tunisia is NOT coming to North America it would seem. Ecuador is facing Mali in Connecticut instead.

Based on the date and the fact that they have not a announced a friendly for earlier in the window, I would now place Mali as the frontrunner in terms of the possible June friendly opponents for perhaps Saturday, June 4th or maybe June 5th ( in Montreal? )

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_national_football_team

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

It's easy to blame the CSA here (and we still should) but...shouldn't we also be blaming the CSB? Isn't this part of what they should be doing, helping the business end of Canadian soccer, which in my mind would be helping to arrange home friendlies (which would then help their business)?

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

In all seriousness it's Canada Soccer Business which is supposed to be the Canadian equivalent of SUM

Thanks.   See... I have never heard of that organization.  didnt even know that such an organization existed in Canada.

Good to know its not:

College of St Benedict

Canada Savings Bonds

Computational Systems Bioinformatics

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Thanks.   See... I have never heard of that organization.  didnt even know that such an organization existed in Canada.

A little surprised more people didn't know about them.  As narduch mentioned, they're the Canadian equivalent to SUM, and much like SUM it's completely owned the CPL owners.  The CSB is the one who bought a bunch of rights from the CSA and then resold them to MediaPro.  They're the ones who should be helping to facilitate a friendly in Canada.  In my mind, that's part of the point they exist - to be helping the CSA with some of this.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

A little surprised more people didn't know about them.  As narduch mentioned, they're the Canadian equivalent to SUM, and much like SUM it's completely owned the CPL owners.  The CSB is the one who bought a bunch of rights from the CSA and then resold them to MediaPro.  They're the ones who should be helping to facilitate a friendly in Canada.  In my mind, that's part of the point they exist - to be helping the CSA with some of this.

Thanks

Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) – A New Sports Enterprise Now Represents Premier Soccer Properties in Canada - Canada Soccer

However I dont see anything suggesting that setting up friendlies for the MNT would fall within their mandate.  I dont even think SUM (a marketing organization) is involved in things like friendlies for the national teams.  I could be wrong

Edited by Free kick

41 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Thanks

Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) – A New Sports Enterprise Now Represents Premier Soccer Properties in Canada - Canada Soccer

However I dont see anything suggesting that setting up friendlies for the MNT would fall within their mandate.  I dont even think SUM (a marketing organization) is involved in things like friendlies for the national teams.  I could be wrong

SUM was involved in arranging US friendlies until late last year. The split occurred because US Soccer wanted to directly handle its commercial rights. They believed their interests were not always top priority and/or properly communicated.

SUM is still arranging Mexico friendlies in the US. So, no surprise all 5 pre WC friendlies are in the US. And I believe 5 is the minimum number of matches/yr required in SUM's deal with FMF.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Thanks

40 minutes ago, red card said:

SUM was involved in arranging US friendlies until late last year. The split occurred because US Soccer wanted to directly handle its commercial rights. They believed their interests were not always top priority and/or properly communicated.

SUM is still arranging Mexico friendlies in the US. So, no surprise all 5 pre WC friendlies are in the US. And I believe 5 is the minimum number of matches/yr required in SUM's deal with FMF.

Yup, what red card said.  The founders of CSB really made no secret of it trying to be the Canadian equivalent to SUM.  I'm not saying they're wholly responsible, but they shouldn't be off the hook either.  If part of the value for MediaPro is exclusive rights to airing home friendlies, the CSB should be out there helping ensure there actually are home friendlies, even if they're taking there cut of the proceeds as well.