Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

The US is playing June 1, 5, 10 and 14. June 1 and 5 are friendlies at home while the 10th is the home NL match. I would expect Canada to play 3 games. A friendly and the two NL. With that in mind a friendly in Toronto between the 1st and 5th and the NL in say Montreal on the 10th. There are reports that the Argos pre-season game against Hamilton scheduled for BMO on June 3rd will end up being played in Guelph. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

There are reports that the Argos pre-season game against Hamilton scheduled for BMO on June 3rd will end up being played in Guelph. 

Interesting. Do you have a source?

---

Mali still hasn't announced their game against Ecuador despite the fact that Ecuador has. If we are playing them, perhaps Mali will announce both matches at the same time.

I assume most people in their offices are off because of the last few days of Ramadan and now Eid. 

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Interesting. Do you have a source?

---

Mali still hasn't announced their game against Ecuador despite the fact that Ecuador has. If we are playing them, perhaps Mali will announce both matches at the same time.

I assume most people in their offices are off because of the last few days of Ramadan and now Eid. 

Yes, it was in the Toronto Sun a few days ago. The pre-season game was played at Varsity Stadium in 2019 and at Alumni Field in Guelph in 2018. MLSE has moved away from wanting to play the pre-season games at BMO. Such a move would definitely give the CSA some freedom in scheduling June. 

Argos on the brink of making Guelph their camp home and exhibition host | Toronto Sun

Edited by Cblake

Iran could be coming to North America to play Canada in June.  They also want a few more friendlies in North America to make it worth it (long travel and visas).  The possibility of playing infront of a large pro-Iranian crowds is also another benefit of playing a few friendlies in NA.

"holding the match, also pays a suitable amount to Iran for this match. In addition, Iran can participate in the television broadcast of the game and the revenues of the game day and earn good money from this game.

A trip to Canada will probably be scheduled for the next four Fifads in June; Of course, this trip is not certain at the moment because the national team's preparatory portfolio for the trip to North America has not been completed yet."

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1822437/حریف-عالی-برای-خرداد-ماه-تیم-ملی-کانادا-۲

12 minutes ago, Buchta said:

Iran could be coming to North America to play Canada in June.  They also want a few more friendlies in North America to make it worth it (long travel and visas).  The possibility of playing infront of a large pro-Iranian crowds is also another benefit of playing a few friendlies in NA.

"holding the match, also pays a suitable amount to Iran for this match. In addition, Iran can participate in the television broadcast of the game and the revenues of the game day and earn good money from this game.

A trip to Canada will probably be scheduled for the next four Fifads in June; Of course, this trip is not certain at the moment because the national team's preparatory portfolio for the trip to North America has not been completed yet."

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1822437/حریف-عالی-برای-خرداد-ماه-تیم-ملی-کانادا-۲

They could almost sell out BMO Field with 100 percent Iranian fans , it’s a huge community in Toronto . When Canada played Iran in a friendly at the old Varsity Stadium back I think in the early 1990’s the place was packed with Iranian fans. I was at that game and if I remember correctly maybe around 18000 people there at the old Varsity Stadium that sat around 20000 people, and I would say at least 16000 were there cheering on Iran. That was awhile back and I would say the Iranian community in the Toronto area has  increased  so much since those days so would be interesting to see how much Canada support there would be for that game at BMO if it happens.

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

They could almost sell out BMO Field with 100 percent Iranian fans , it’s a huge community in Toronto . When Canada played Iran in a friendly at the old Varsity Stadium back I think in the early 1990’s the place was packed with Iranian fans. I was at that game and if I remember correctly maybe around 18000 people there at the old Varsity Stadium that sat around 20000 people, and I would say at least 16000 were there cheering on Iran. That was awhile back and I would say the Iranian community in the Toronto area has  increased  so much since those days so would be interesting to see how much Canada support there would be for that game at BMO if it happens.

I seem to recall that, other than booing De Vos every time he touched the ball (because they perceived he made a dirty tackle or something), that crowd that was cheering on Iran was also largely cheering on Canada. They were one of the most "dual supportive" ethnic crowds at a Canada game that I can ever recall, several light years better than the pro-Jamaican or pro-Portugeuse crowds (which spring to mind first) I had to suffer through in the 1990s at Varsity. I never saw a fanbase so pissed off that they failed to beat Canada as the Portuguese fans at Varsity back in 1996 (I think it was) when De Rosario came off the bench to set up Stalteri (both U20 players at the time) for the game-tying goal against their Atlanta-Olympics bound U23 plus 3 over-aged players team (Jamaica also failed to beat Canada every time they played them in Toronto in the 1990s, but their fans weren't overburdened with the same Euro-snobbery that Portuguese, English, Italian etc. fans have). In comparison to that, the Persian fans were a breath of fresh air.

Thank heavens the times have completely changed in the past 25 years.....

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I seem to recall that, other than booing De Vos every time he touched the ball (because they perceived he made a dirty tackle or something), that crowd that was cheering on Iran was also largely cheering on Canada. They were one of the most "dual supportive" ethnic crowds at a Canada game that I can ever recall, several light years better than the pro-Jamaican or pro-Portugeuse crowds (which spring to mind first) I had to suffer through in the 1990s at Varsity. I never saw a fanbase so pissed off that they failed to beat Canada as the Portuguese fans at Varsity back in 1996 (I think it was) when De Rosario came off the bench to set up Stalteri (both U20 players at the time) for the game-tying goal against their Atlanta-Olympics bound U23 plus 3 over-aged players team (Jamaica also failed to beat Canada every time they played them in Toronto in the 1990s, but their fans weren't overburdened with the same Euro-snobbery that Portuguese, English, Italian etc. fans have). In comparison to that, the Persian fans were a breath of fresh air.

Thank heavens the times have completely changed in the past 25 years.....

I don’t remember Canada playing Portugal at Varsity in 1996 I was probably at that game too I hardly ever missed a Canada game , I do recall a Canada Portugal game at the Skydome I think.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

I don’t remember Canada playing Portugal at Varsity in 1996 I was probably at that game too I hardly ever missed a Canada game , I do recall a Canada Portugal game at the Skydome I think.

That was the 1995 Skydome Cup (I think it was called that), Denmark also played in that tourney and vowed to never play Canada again (I think Belgium did the same thing after we played them in a public park in Ottawa in 1990 with Belgian Manager Guy Thys apopleptic that Canada was playing friendlies in such circumstances -  although I bet they have since forgotten about their vow, otherwise they will be forced to forfeit the opening match against us ;)).

Here are the highlights of the Skydome match (also a 1-1 draw, as was the 1996 friendly). I didn't go to this one or the Denmark match as I was both dirt poor & in my final year of undergrad:

The match against Portugal at Varsity was summer of 1996, it was really a mish-mash of National team regulars, Olympic players & U20 players for Canada vs. their Olympic team.

Friendly matches if I'm the CSA...I would at least set up 3 friendlies against other nations but instead of the usual opponents I would go for these countries to set up friendlies with them:

Iran (similar style to Morocco; Middle Eastern team with a huge community; game would sell out depending on where you have the game in Canada; would set it up at BMO Field)

Poland (somewhat similar style to Croatia; but I would play them away in Poland or in a neutral country entirely)

Italy (even though they didn't qualify for Qatar, I would play the Azzurri because high profile opponent plus reigning European Champion and they play similarly well somewhat to Belgium...good preparation)

19 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I was at that match as well and remember the pro-Iranian support (which also cheered on Canada, as @Gian-Luca points out).

There were 15,325 in attendance that day, but at the old Varsity that kind of crowd looked massive. (There's a video of the full match in that link, btw)

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

CSA incompetence will end being a reason Herdman quietly and politely takes another offer after Qatar. 

I feel like while this might not be true right after Qatar, it will eventually be true. 

Herdman can try and professionalize the CanMNT setup but he can’t professionalize the CSA. For an ambitious guy who likely strongly believes in “be the dumbest guy in the room” to continue growing, I feel eventually he’s going to recognize his ability to grow is stunted by the organization and its people.

I find it's funny that everyone's simple explanation is that the CSA is incompetent. It's pretty tough to get  what you'd consider a "big" football nation to fly halfway across the world when your country doesn't even have a sufficient stadium. It's pretty self centered to not think every proposal we make to a potential opponent that they have not also received 5 other offers that are far more appealing top to bottom. Im pretty sure the CSA has already received a dozen thanks but no thanks at this point

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I find it's funny that everyone's simple explanation is that the CSA is incompetent. It's pretty tough to get  what you'd consider a "big" football nation to fly halfway across the world when your country doesn't even have a sufficient stadium. It's pretty self centered to not think every proposal we make to a potential opponent that they have not also received 5 other offers that are far more appealing top to bottom. Im pretty sure the CSA has already received a dozen thanks but no thanks at this point

Sure, but when you’re also the same organization that has been unwilling or unable to host a home friendly against even an average opponent for like a decade probably at this point you lose the benefit of the doubt. 

The whole world plays friendlies yet somehow for us it’s this impenetrable fortress of planning and expense that’s just unsolvable. 

Edited by grigorio

11 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Sure, but when you’re also the same organization that has been unwilling or unable to host a home friendly against even an average opponent for like a decade probably at this point you lose the benefit of the doubt. 

The whole world plays friendlies yet somehow for us it’s this impenetrable fortress of planning and expense that’s just unsolvable. 

Maybe that just shows you how bad it is. We're like that fat guy with bad breath and ripped t shirt who can't figure out why women don't want to come home with us. It's really that simple. BC Place is OK but it's way the hell out in left field and turf.

If we had a renovated Big O or something like that in Montreal every single country in the world would be tripping over themselves to come play us. 

Edited by SpursFlu

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

CSA incompetence will end being a reason Herdman quietly and politely takes another offer after Qatar. 

While I think to some degree this is true...

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I find it's funny that everyone's simple explanation is that the CSA is incompetent.

...for once I agree with @SpursFlu.

Just because the CSA is slow to announce things doesn't mean that they haven't scheduled something.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just because the CSA is slow to announce things doesn't mean that they haven't scheduled something.

Shooting Shoot Your Shot GIF

I'm sorry, but this has been what it always has been. 
Quiet silence, with rumours....only to find out that some thing was planned but didn't happen* for reasons a-z.

Edited by Shway