Kosi Thompson

VinceA

8 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Nice. Been watching this guy for years in the academy and always thought he had great potential. Shocked to see them play him in a different position during preseason though. But if it works out, great!

what position did you watch him in

edit: holy shit that sentence sounds mad my bad

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

2 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

what position did you watch him in

edit: holy shit that sentence sounds mad my bad

When I first saw him he was mostly playing as a LW. Then with TFC2 he was playing as a RW most of the time. But yea with TFC they were for sure trying out the CM/AM role.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

PFFFTTTT!!!  Caldwell is an ass.  If that was any other situation he would be taking the defenders side and giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

I was wondering why they weren't showing any decent angle of the alleged indiscretion when he was going on his tyraid about how TFC "got lucky" on that one. I have a feeling you're right though, maybe it's just a situation where he didn't want to look like a total homer. 

There was clear contact - it’s not even debatable. Utterly bizzare how this was overturned but PRO has come out an apologized for the error and blamed incorrect replay angles.

that being said, the foul was more unlucky than egregious or reckless so either way it’s not a big huge indictment of Thompson.

i thought the rest of his game was fine for a debut. Was very safe and responsible overall.

18 minutes ago, Floortom said:

There was clear contact - it’s not even debatable...

Saw all the posts about this incident on here before watching the highlights clip and found it hard to understand what all the fuss could have been about. An example of people obsessing too much over less than stellar replay angles rather than sticking with what had appeared blindingly obvious the first time around in real time. Having said that it was good to see TFC win and there have been times when these sorts of decisions have went against them.

46 minutes ago, gator said:

I did not see one replay that showed any contact, Caldwell was adamant about it being a pk, what did he and apparently some others see that myself and VAR didn't?

There was contact - unfortunately for NYCFC, it was the contact their own donkey of a player made on his own legs which caused him to fall in the box, which is why it's never a PK in a million years. It's so incredibly obvious that he tripped himself on the bumpy ground of a still patchy BMO Field turf (the same turf which nearly got Petrasso a goal when his shot nearly bounced awkwardly over Sean Johnson's shoulder).

Refs don't overturn their own PK decisions & wipe out yellow cards, making themselves look incompetent for the original decision just for the fun it.

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

There was contact - unfortunately for NYCFC, it was the contact their own donkey of a player made on his own legs which caused him to fall in the box

This is spot on. He tripped over his own leg as his left foot clipped his right calf. The below image is from the moment of contact. Thompson is barely in the screen from this angle.

Trip.png

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

PRO has come out an apologized for the error and blamed incorrect replay angles.

The statement in question.

The Professional Referee Organization (PRO) acknowledges that a significant officiating error occurred in an important match situation in the eighth minute of the game between Toronto FC and New York City FC.

The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) incorrectly determined the awarding of a penalty kick to be a clear and obvious error, as the selection of camera angles examined did not reveal foul contact from Toronto FC’s Kosi Thompson on New York City FC striker Talles Magno.

While an available camera angle did reveal foul contact, that alternative camera angle was not examined by the VAR, nor was it made available to the referee on the pitch-side monitor. The referee changed his decision and rescinded the penalty kick.

PRO can confirm that the awarding of a penalty kick was not a clear and obvious error, and the referee’s initial decision should have been allowed to stand.