Kosi Thompson

VinceA

7 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

This is spot on. He tripped over his own leg as his left foot clipped his right calf. The below image is from the moment of contact. Thompson is barely in the screen from this angle.

Trip.png

Just to clarify - that doesn’t prove anything.  The alleged contact was when he crossed behind him.  If he clipped his trailing foot as he ran behind him, it would have caused it to catch on his other foot on his next stride.  I don’t think anyone is saying that either he dove intentionally or that he just can’t run without tripping over himself.  The issue was that there was no camera angle the conclusively shows the contact.   It given the call on the field was a PK, it seems odd that it was overturned.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that either he dove intentionally or that he just can’t run without tripping over himself.

The stumble happens when his foot clips his own leg. There's no contact from Thompson at that moment. The only way I see that as a penalty is if there was contact previous to that moment and he was already going down and I haven't seen anything in any of the angles that suggests that was the case.

25 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

This is spot on. He tripped over his own leg as his left foot clipped his right calf. The below image is from the moment of contact. Thompson is barely in the screen from this angle.

Trip.png

You can clearly see in slow motion at 18 and 31 second mark that Thompson’s left knee contacts the players left foot which causes the players foot to redirect into his right leg and cause the trip

Edited by Floortom

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

You can clearly see in slow motion at 18 second mark that Thompson’s left knee contacts the players left foot which causes the players foot to redirect into his right leg and cause the trip

That's what I thought when I first saw the rear angle but looking from the side angle I can't see any contact at that moment.

I have re-watched the video at least 20 times including frame by frame and there is no contact.  Thompson is far behind him and is running in a different direction.   MLS PRO has really thrown Chenard under the bus on this one.  They seem to be saying there wasn't enough criteria to be a clear and obvious mistake.    I can see in the futur that VAR refs will be more reluctant to overturn the referees decision.        

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

Ughh, we see every weekend guys getting their shirts pulled, elbowed in the back, bear hugged by defenders/wrestled to the ground and no penalty is called. If Kosi had put a shoulder into him and he fell over they would have said its a fair challenge--not enough contact to warrant a call, or the attacker went over too easy.   Its a call that the attacker gets, but sometimes not and  9 times out of 10 Caldwell sides with the defender.  

Look, I am glad the kid didn’t cause  what would have been the opening goal for NYC, but I have no idea how people can watch that replay (especially the clips posted by @Floortom) and say there was no contact.  It is clear that there was contact on the trailing foot that caused the eventual trip.  

Happy that the refs overturned it but no idea how they couldn’t watch that angle and uphold the on-field decision.  

Just now, MtlMario said:

Are you new to Concacaf?😁

Lol no I’m not new to it. When players dive they don’t usually trip over their own feet. They trip over thin air. Also when you’re running full speed it, it only takes a slight bit of contact with the heels to make someone trip. I think my photo clearly shows him making contact with the bottom of his foot. 

3 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

Lol no I’m not new to it. When players dive they don’t usually trip over their own feet. They trip over thin air. Also when you’re running full speed it, it only takes a slight bit of contact with the heels to make someone trip. I think my photo clearly shows him making contact with the bottom of his foot. 

It actually isn’t that frame IMO.  It is Thompson’s next stride when he clips that attacker’s foot as he takes his next step.  

3C4ED6DA-C453-4640-B71D-BA6C60DFBF28.jpeg

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It actually isn’t that frame IMO.  It is Thompson’s next stride when he clips that attacker’s foot as he takes his next step.  

3C4ED6DA-C453-4640-B71D-BA6C60DFBF28.jpeg

I had trouble picking between the 2 but I think he makes contact twice.

I’m catching up on this and I’m flabbergasted that people are unable to see the contact.  There is 100% clear contact that caused him to fall.  It’s not even close.  I was absolutely shocked it was called back.  It’s clear as day.

nothing intentional and rather unlucky for Thompson but TFC was lucky to get away with it.  I’m still blown away people can’t see the contact.

52 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I’m catching up on this and I’m flabbergasted that people are unable to see the contact.  There is 100% clear contact that caused him to fall.  It’s not even close.  I was absolutely shocked it was called back.  It’s clear as day.

nothing intentional and rather unlucky for Thompson but TFC was lucky to get away with it.  I’m still blown away people can’t see the contact.

I just have one question: what color is this dress?

image.jpeg.b898cc3e7711e914fdf55e4e66dca02c.jpeg

7 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I have re-watched the video at least 20 times including frame by frame and there is no contact.  Thompson is far behind him and is running in a different direction.   MLS PRO has really thrown Chenard under the bus on this one.  They seem to be saying there wasn't enough criteria to be a clear and obvious mistake.    I can see in the futur that VAR refs will be more reluctant to overturn the referees decision.        

Whether one agrees with the decision to overturn the PK or not, what continues to stand out for me the most is the treatment of Chenard by both Caldwell on the broadcast and PRO. They are making it sound like she is some Machiavellian mastermind manipulating events to get the PK call overturned by suppressing video evidence. PRO's comments in particular are both farcical and disgraceful. The fact is, if thinks the decision is incorrect, the person you would have to point the finger at is Drew Fischer, not Chenard. He's the guy in charge, not the VAR, which, since PRO seems to have forgotten, stands for Video Assistant Referee, not Virtually Assured Royalty or anything else that would suggest that Chenard, rather than Fischer, was in command. It's his decision and his responsibility. He's not some newbie Ref who was officiating his first match, but an experienced ref who has been doing MLS games for 10 years and has done plenty of VAR as well at both the domestic and international level. If he felt like he needed to see another angle because what he was being shown wasn't conclusive, then all he had to do was ask. PRO knows this, or ought to know that. What it suggests of course is that, after seeing the angle from the side, Fischer didn't feel the need to see another angle because the one that Chenard drew his attention to was pretty conclusive that the Brazilian dude tripped himself (which of course he did, making it absurd to award a PK regardless of any possible incidental/accidental contact before that). I suspect their comments are just to keep the Yanks and/or rich City Football group placated, since the only way that PRO's comments (not to mention Caldwell's) throwing Chenard in particular under the bus makes sense is if the conversation between Fischer and Chenard went something like this:

Chenard: Hey Drew, as you know, I'm cheering for Toronto so I want you to take a look at an angle you didn't have since you were behind the play. I think you'll want to take a look at it as its pretty conclusive that the New York player is in full stride and then trips himself.

Fischer: Ok, punch it up and I'll take a look, anything is better than having Michael Bradley scream at me, particularly as he forgot to take some Mentos before kick-off.

(Fischer then runs to the VAR screen and sees the side view angle that he didn't have the benefit of live)

Fischer: Ok, I see what you mean. That's pretty conclusive. But do you mind showing me another angle that's less conclusive?

Chenard: No. Fuck you! I'm in charge here, bitch! This is my decision, not yours. You're lucky I even let you take a look at the monitor. [Then in Soup Nazi accent] No replay for you!

Fischer: Awww, come on! Please? I want the other angle, the same one I had during the match, even though I've already seen a pretty conclusive angle that the New York player tripped himself.

Chenard: What the fuck for? As you already said, the angle from behind is the one you had during the match and you already got it wrong the first time as the angle that you didn't have which you just watched and agreed was pretty fucking conclusive that the Brazilian gimp tripped himself. So you can take your request for another angle and piss off all the way back to Calgary with it. Twit!

Fischer: Pretty please? If I don't look at all of the angles, PRO is going to blame me, since I'm not in charge.

Chenard: Go away, or the next angle I'll be showing you is one of your ass with a VAR monitor shoved inside it - sideways