What's been the best Team Canada moment so far?

Cblake

The game at the Azteca.  Specifically,  the first half of that game.

Never thought i would see the day or that it would be even possible for a Canadian team to go into the Azteca and play that kind of game.   And where the Mexicans would have to resort to backing off and play counter attack soccer.

PS.:  i wish that that Iceteca stuff wasn't nominated.  It was a bit of a farce and gimmick.  Of course, the result was positive, but there were too many other factors surrounding it that marred it and became more of a black eye.

Edited by Free kick

For me it is a total product of personal bias.  I was in Edmonton for the games and I consider the Mexico game to be a seminal moment in Canadian soccer history.  Everything about it was just perfect.  Getting the win against our regional superpower.  The fact that it gave us a full 6 point window to really jumpstart our qualifying campaign.  The crowd (especially after being in PEI for the 1.5 years prior where that kind of crowd was simply unfathomable).  The weather - cold but not ridiculous, snowy but didn’t interfere.  

It was simply a perfect time - and not an overstatement to say it was one of the best days I have had in a long time.  

10 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The game at the Azteca.  Specifically,  the first half of that game.

Never thought i would see the day or that it would be even possible for a Canadian team to go into the Azteca and play that kind of game.   And where the Mexicans would have to resort to backing off and play counter attack soccer.

I was thinking today about all the performances thus far, wondering which has been the best overall team performance, and I think it would be away to Mexico. We aren't supposed to be able to play like that at Azteca, but holy crap, we played on the front foot, were cohesive, had great presence in the midfield, and could have come away with the win. While the wins vs. Mexico and the US were deeply satisfying, the overall team performance in Mexico stands out for me. I think it was the moment where this team realized they can truly ball.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me it is a total product of personal bias.  I was in Edmonton for the games and I consider the Mexico game to be a seminal moment in Canadian soccer history.  Everything about it was just perfect.  Getting the win against our regional superpower.  The fact that it gave us a full 6 point window to really jumpstart our qualifying campaign.  The crowd (especially after being in PEI for the 1.5 years prior where that kind of crowd was simply unfathomable).  The weather - cold but not ridiculous, snowy but didn’t interfere.  

It was simply a perfect time - and not an overstatement to say it was one of the best days I have had in a long time.  

Edmonton was quite something, still feel for all those that simply could not make it into town with the crazy weather that hit in the lead up to the Mexico game. Landing on the morning of the match from Toronto, the drive in to the downtown core from airport, the roads were a mess, cars, trucks in ditches etc. Once in the stadium I did not find it all the bad. What a night.

May be an image of 3 people

16 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I was thinking today about all the performances thus far, wondering which has been the best overall team performance, and I think it would be away to Mexico. We aren't supposed to be able to play like that at Azteca, but holy crap, we played on the front foot, were cohesive, had great presence in the midfield, and could have come away with the win. While the wins vs. Mexico and the US were deeply satisfying, the overall team performance in Mexico stands out for me. I think it was the moment where this team realized they can truly ball.

It reminded me of a scene from the Godfather whereby, after Michael's meeting with Mo Greene,  Fredo turns to Michael and pleads with him to back off: "Mikey nobody talks to Mo Greene that way!"..

Nobody is suppose to do that to Mexicans at the Azteca.

Edited by Free kick

Highlights of this run so far:

- the stress of the lead up to the one-off Suriname game followed by the huge win
- the bizarre first goal in the second leg of the Haiti game
- tying Mexico away
- tying the US away
- Davies goal vs. Panama
- David goal vs. Honduras
- beating Mexico at home and the Adekugbe snow bank dive.
- beating USA at home and the Adekugbe goal
- Atiba's goal vs. El Salvador
- the amazing calls of Wheeler and Dunfield :)

The only stumble was the home tie to Honduras, and if that's the worst thing that has happened that's pretty fantastic.  You pretty much couldn't have written a better qualification process so far with combination of highlights and bizarre circumstances that have all come down on Canada's side.  And before COVID hit, our best shot under the old system was the inter-continental playoff....

Edited by AvroArrow

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

It reminded me of a scene from the Godfather whereby, after Michael's meeting with Mo Greene,  Fredo turns to Michael and pleads with him to back off: "Mikey nobody talks to Mo Greene that way!"..

Nobody is suppose to do that to Mexicans at the Azteca.

Great reference!  Exactly.  Herdman's decision to push the Mexicans rather than sit back in a low block conveyed a clear message to our lads, and I feel much of the fearlessness with which the team now plays is a result of that decision. It was a decision that set the mentality for the rest of the campaign.  (To be fair, the game in the US was a pretty damn brave performance, too)

To me it was the Panama game and the Davies goal.  That whole night was electric. It was the first true dominant Canadian crowd (well once everyone got in!). The weather was perfect. Davies goal was the turning point that this program has arrived. Ten years ago, that gets called out of bounds. Everything that followed that night was incredible.  We have won every game since then, conceded only one goal and set the bar going forward. I’ve been to every home match and that one still sticks out the most for the momentum it brought us, and that’s not to slight all the other incredible moments this journey has presented us.

For me, it was the Panama game. Most likely because I was there and so the whole match experience is at the forefront of my mind.
The two matches against Mexico are right up there though. We beat Mexico, and tied them in the Azteca. I have been following this team long enough to know those are big moments that only prior experience lets you really appreciate. 

I have never understood the media’s need to call us “Team Canada” (as opposed to what, Individuals Canada?) while in the same breath, they correctly don’t say “Team Mexico”, “Team Panama” or “Team Honduras”.

Anyway, for me it is: 1. Atiba’s almost scientifically impossible goal off his back lying on the ground beside the goal from about one inch from the goal line, assisted by Eric Zavaleta 

2. The fight against Mexico started when Tajon did an excuse-me-punch of the ball out of the hands of a frustrated Mexican

3. Alistair Johnston’s continued pointing at the exit/dressing rooms in the face of the whiny Mexican dickhead players in the same fight  mentioned in #2

4. Doneil Henry’s “Piss off, I ain’t moving” stunt causing the fight against Panama in the first half

5. The Panamanian fan in the webcast who rips off his tie and throws his suit across the room after the Davies goal

6. The Duverger game winning goal against his own team

7. The Davies goal against the Cayman Islands where is was a 7 on 0 all alone against the keeper

The question at the bottom said “favourite moment” so I went with that

I think the Davies goal has to be up there for three reasons:

1. Amazing, highlight reel, goal of the year kind of goal.

2. The importance of that goal not only in the match but in the cycle and really for our entire history. That goal told Panama and everyone else that you are not going to fuck with us anymore.

3. Finally, there have been many moments of schadenfreude, but by far the best was the watch along from those Panamanians when that goal was scored. I can't find the gif on this platform but I know it's out there.

10 hours ago, Cblake said:

Edmonton was quite something, still feel for all those that simply could not make it into town with the crazy weather that hit in the lead up to the Mexico game. Landing on the morning of the match from Toronto, the drive in to the downtown core from airport, the roads were a mess, cars, trucks in ditches etc. Once in the stadium I did not find it all the bad. What a night.

Edmonton will go down as one of my best live football experiences ever.

Closest thing to my hometown they will ever play a real match in, getting there in that weather, seeing friends from high school for the first time in years,  beat the top team in the region, the jump and ice angels, the players with the drum, singing the night away, top of the league, baby.

Two moments for me:

1 - Being at the bus arrival in Hamilton.  Never would have imagined something like that happening.  Just a special thing to experience.

2 - Seeing BMO Field rocking late in the game against Panama.  Had to watch it on TV but the atmosphere looked electric and that was the moment when I realized that this team and what was happening was something very special.

Its funny that neither are specifically about something that was happening on the pitch.  I think that's because I've always believed that we were better than we showed (even when we weren't).  What really got me was that everyone else was finally taking notice, that this team was getting the respect I thought they deserved from the rest of the country.  I could care less about what they're writing about us around the world.  What is important to me is other Canadians realizing that yes, we can play this game and yes, we can compete.

Honourable mention: When SVP sports started selling Canada Soccer merch.  This was in the summer before qualifying began and news of the huge sales were going around.  All of a sudden guys from my rec team were showing up in Canada jerseys.  Before I was the outlier who had to tell them about players around the world and now everyone was wearing the colours.  It was strange.  Somebody tell the CSA that selling jerseys at $150 a pop isn't the best way of getting the brand out there.  Get them in the merch and they'll pay attention.

Panama game-Davies goal. 
We were in 4th at that point. 
We had a history of disappointing home draws and there was a here we go again feeling. 
Panama had started to gain momentum in the match.  
Here we go again.  We were right to worry about Haiti and Surinam. 
Then boom.  
3 goals in 12 minutes. 
This is different.  The story has changed.  We’re in it to win it. 

Took a piss at the USA game just as the half ended. Found a secret washroom, bought a pint, and made it back to my seats without missing a second of action. 

One of many things I’ve never seen in all my years of supporting Canada. 

(Davies goal vs 🇵🇦 or Larin vs🇲🇽 )

Edited by Califax