WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I think regardless of the lineup the team will put in a shift. Clearly the mentality of the team has change. The only stain so far is the Honduras draw.

We need points on the road from a team and I think Jamaica this window without fans and the chaos within their camp is as good a time as any. "Easier" then going to Honduras and getting a win... though the USA just trounced them last window so who knows. 

Agree with what you say, but there are no guarantees.  There's no guarantee of points in Jamaica, you really have to "go for it" every game while at the same time being measured.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think Herdman is a gambler.  I think he'll gauge the attitude from the Gold Cup game and decide whether he is really going to go for it or not.  If they won, that would be a seismic shift, atom bomb stuff.

I agree, we all know what the risk-reward, conservative approach is. Herdman knows that too, but he's got a rational, numbers-focused element to his managing and an "irrational", player-focused part. We can field a team who won't be  intimidated at Azteca and have stars who will want to take the most prized bounty in the region on their home turf. If the team wants it bad enough he will grant them their agency and give them the opportunity.

Just now, Lansdude said:

I agree, we all know what the risk-reward, conservative approach is. Herdman knows that too, but he's got a rational, numbers-focused element to his managing and an "irrational", player-focused part. We can field a team who won't be  intimidated at Azteca and have stars who will want to take the most prized bounty in the region on their home turf. If the team wants it bad enough he will grant them their agency and give them the opportunity.

Yes.  Just remember how it turned out when he let the team decide the strategy away to the US.  

6 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

How about?

David

Osorio Kaye Buchanan

Piette Eustaquio

Adekugbe Vittoria Cornelius Johnston

Crepeau

I was looking for Mexico's lineup.

I image they won't be holding anything back and with throw Jimenez, Lozano, Corona, Herrera, Alvarez straight at us. 😱

6 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

While it's always possible to grind out a result, this is going to be a tough day out and a reality check for Herdman. JD to pop one early and then Defence, Defence, Defence.  LFG!

A big  thing from the defending standpoint is to have that counterattacking threat up top to keep the Mexicans from throwing the kitchen sink at us.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Don't have as good a feeling about this one, sorry.  Very much looking forward to the game, of course, but this might not be the result I am hoping for.  Getting a result in Jamaica and then getting the three points at home vs Panana a is the crucial factor in this window for me.

I’m loving the optimism here but I’m not expecting anything. I still hope we don’t throw out our best XI and wear them out for the much more important matches vs Jamaica and Panama 

I have been torn over our approach to this match for some time, after too many days pondering what JH should do I have come to the conclusion that we should start our younger less experienced lineup with some veterans such as Osorio and Piette mixed in! I think players such as Millar and Shaffleburg are fearless and will have a go at this Mexican side, it's going to be very interesting to see what Herdman does!

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I want Piette to start in this one. Not just to save other guys' legs, but because I think this is the kind of match he could thrive in.

Agreed, if by thrive you mean get a booking while trying to keep up!  😂

I think the injuries and absences will force Herdman's hand. Larin, Cavallini and Hoilett are the natural replacements for David, Davies and Buchanan, but they're not available.  Playing Brym is a non starter.  I like Shaff but you can't send the kid out for his first Cap to start against the Mexicans at the Azteca. 

I think the 2 Liam's are up to the task, but perhaps not as starters.  Piette may start ahead of an attacking player, but overall, I think we're gonna go with our best and re-assess who needs more recovery time on Sunday morning.    

Honestly all of the back and forth about whether to field an A team tonight or stockpile our talent for Jamaica and Panama - these are good problems to have. Previously we were never even part of the hex and fans fairly consistently watched potential Canadian talent shift their allegiance to the nation of their parents’ birth. Things have changed.

I can even see a fairly rapid change in myself and my view of this team. In the summer I thought after showing well in a few Gold Cup games, we had made a solid mark, but we were about to get spanked by Mexico - we were missing 6-7 starters and playing in front of 75,000 Mexicans. But the players who took the field confidently adopted the ‘next man up’ mentality and we went toe to toe with the perennial CONCACAF powerhouse and were arguably robbed in the end. Proud moment! I realize for both teams the cast of characters are different tonight. But All of the boys on this team have my full support, no matter who takes the field, and I’m not conceding anything to the green sombreros. 

Let’s Go!