WCQ: Mexico vs Canada - Thursday, Oct 7, 9:40pm Eastern / 6:40pm Pacific - Mexico City

41 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

interesting that JH specifically highlights the Cornelius, Henry and Atiba back three vs. Jimenez at the 2019 gold cup.  I wonder if this means we may see Henry and Cornelius at least play in this game.

Good take. I was thinking that as well earlier today. Cornelius played a great game vs Mexico a few years back and with a bloody nose. We almost had Mexico 0-0 at half until Cornelius was on the sidelines getting treatment for his bloody nose when they scored via a cross that Atiba and ZBG could not clear. 

Henry and Cornelius pretty big and speedy dudes back there. You would think  that forces Mexico to try and play through the middle which hopefully our mid could collapse and condense the area fairly well on. Eustaquio is an exceptional defender and at breaking up plays. 

times like this leading up to the biggest matches we have up here is when i get most excited.  more than the actual WC cause we are never there, more than CL cause thats all money, even more than the women and their gold medal.  i wish these moments will never end.  i wish more people would recognise how important these lead-up dates are to the big date in Quatar.  

then again... i REALLY enjoy being the loner who would rather watch this instead of stupid american baseball....  it makes me feel special to be among such "men of culture"

Edited by kungfucious

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Some Iron Brew would be give you the sweat taste of victory, well at least sweet anyways. 

image.jpeg.bfd0a1c5cbf2aea12ce3323fb507f64a.jpeg

You know you are in Canada when they need to tell you on the tin that it isn't a source of iron. Always feel like I've hit the jackpot when a local supermarket starts stocking it. Think it's only really Scotland and Northern Ireland where it's very popular in the UK. They have a drink called Tizer in England that's similar but not as good.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

^I don't like the idea of blowing your load right from the beginning, I prefer someone  like Buchanan coming in at 60 minutes as "shock troops" as it were.  I don't think there would be anyone else coming off the bench that would be as big a "shock"

That’s just the nature of the options. If you think Mexico doesn’t adjust to Tajon coming on as sub you’re sorely wrong - as they have a lot more “shock” options than we do.

I for sure don’t want to see Shaffelburg, Brym, or Millar as starters just for the sake of using Tajon as a super sub. 

I predict maybe 1 or 2 name changes from what I listed.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

That’s just the nature of the options. If you think Mexico doesn’t adjust to Tajon coming on as sub you’re sorely wrong - as they have a lot more “shock” options than we do.

I for sure don’t want to see Shaffelburg, Brym, or Millar as starters just for the sake of using Tajon as a super sub. 

I agree with the other two but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Millar as a starter. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

If you want to rest a Buchanan I would throw on an extra midfielder (Piette maybe?).

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Davies-David-Buchanan 
Kaye-Eustaqiuo-Osorio
Laryea-Miller-Vitoria-Johnston
Crepeau

is the lineup I think we’ll see.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I think in an ideal world we'd save some bullets, but we're limited by the "extended roster" injury and covid shenanigans. If any changes from @Shway prediction, it might be Millar over Buchanan or maybe even Henry over Vitoria to preserve the yellow card suspensions but I'd be surprised by anything else. I feel like Herdman will run these boys out for 60-65 and reevaluate at that time

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

If you want to rest a Buchanan I would throw on an extra midfielder (Piette maybe?).

That's another thought I had. Basically change the 3-5-2/5-3-2 to a 5-4-1. 

-------------------David------------------

--------------Kaye----Osorio---------------

-------------Piette--Eustaquio-------------

Davies--------------------------------Laryea

---------Miller---Henry---Johnston---------

-----------------Crepeau---------------------

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

Well, with all the issues, there's not a lot of choice.  I would be hesitant to even put Millar in there as he hasn't been with the team for a while and we saw how not being with the team for a while worked out with Honduras even though we put our A-Listers out there

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Would much prefer leaving Davies off to start.  Guys, he can’t play all three games in this window 

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I like this lineup but Adekugbe instead of Phonzie.

Phonzie and Tajon on as subs (assuming points are still there to be had) in the second half

Edited by Floortom

6 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Would much prefer leaving Davies off to start.  Guys, he can’t play all three games in this window 

Do you mean he can't play 90 all three games? He can certainly start every match as he did in June (after a full season might I add) - we just need to manage him. Remember he came off as a sub vs. Suriname and in the second game against Haiti.