WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

4 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Next window looks tougher, but maybe we can get 3 to 5 points. 

Honestly, we can beat Panama at home and we need to either draw or win away in Jamaica.  I want at least a win and a draw from the next window.  I don’t have any expectation away to Mexico, but the other two can generate 4 or 6 points.  Getting that tally, plus getting the away Mexico game out of the way, would be another great window.   

After the immediate first game jitters we absolutely grew this window. 

5 points should be the goal next window but we can absolutely beat anyone if we have everyone available and focused.  

Huge window for learning curves. Johnston and Buchanan were stars, Eustaquio continues to be a HUGE boon for our program. Both Kennedy and Miller both learning hard lessons but also shining bright too. 

While I could perhaps say maybe Herdman and Co. Should spend more time in training on set pieces that can clear the first man than practicing singing o canada, I think the anthem is one of the best things Herdman has done lol. Absolutely amps me up and hopefully gets the crowd as into it over time. We have to have a whole stadium of fans going as hard as the players are. 

Talking of which...all credit to all you V's in attendance who were immense in these games. Beautiful stuff.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, we can beat Panama at home and we need to either draw or win away in Jamaica.  I want at least a win and a draw from the next window.  I don’t have any expectation away to Mexico, but the other two can generate 4 or 6 points.  Getting that tally, plus getting the away Mexico game out of the way, would be another great window.   

Agreed 4+ is the target. Realistically even 3 will be ok but I hope we can get at least a draw in Jamaica. Not sure how much we should go for it against Mexico. Might make sense to just focus on the last two matches

Just now, Floortom said:

Agreed 4+ is the target. Realistically even 3 will be ok but I hope we can get at least a draw in Jamaica. Not sure how much we should go for it against Mexico. Might make sense to just focus on the last two matches

If I am Herdman, it is a full 2nd string team of attackers against Mexico.  Between cards and injuries, it just isn’t a game I would prioritize.  Bunker for as long as possible and maybe throw on the game changing attackers in the last 10 or 15.  

May not be a popular choice and probably isn’t what Herdman (or the team) would choose, but I would definitely prioritize the other two games.   

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If I am Herdman, it is a full 2nd string team of attackers against Mexico.  Between cards and injuries, it just isn’t a game I would prioritize.  Bunker for as long as possible and maybe throw on the game changing attackers in the last 10 or 15.  

May not be a popular choice and probably isn’t what Herdman (or the team) would choose, but I would definitely prioritize the other two games.   

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think we should go for it against Mexico.  They are the class of the region, but I think there are points there for the taking.  Sure, we'll be in Mexico but how different will it be from the Gold Cup game (other than the Azteca altitude)?

I think we can get something from them.  First game of a window, might as well go for it.  Not all out attacking, but a smart game with the first stringers could nip a point or three.

23 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I watched the first half wearing nowt but a towel, as I had just come in from a run. Needless to say, I know how I'll be enjoying the next 11 match days now.

You go running in nothing but a towel?  Hold on tight.  I wonder if that's how De Grasse ended up with that running style where only one arm moves.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

I think we should go for it against Mexico.  They are the class of the region, but I think there are points there for the taking.  Sure, we'll be in Mexico but how different will it be from the Gold Cup game (other than the Azteca altitude)?

I think we can get something from them.  First game of a window, might as well go for it.  Not all out attacking, but a smart game with the first stringers could nip a point or three.

Fair enough.  And like I said,  I am probably in the minority.  I just think we will continue to see lots of rotation, so I would save the big guns for the games where we are most likely to get points.  And if we assume that Mexico will finish 1st, I would rather take points if the other two teams that window.  

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, this is where we need to consider a larger squad.  Arfield and ZBG for sure, maybe Theo and a couple of others if they are in form. 

20 minutes ago, Bdog said:

This ref is usually good but how the fuck did El Salvador get away with that much? They're a very unlikable team but I'll still hope they make other teams drop points.

Dominant game today as it should have been. A lot of guys have stepped up big the last couple games.

Honestly, the linesman was shit and shouldn't be in another match this cycle.  There were 3 egregious fouls on Buchanan right in front of him and he never said a word to the ref who was farther away so maybe didn't see them as well.  Maybe he misses one but he can't miss all 3.

22 minutes ago, Bdog said:

This ref is usually good but how the fuck did El Salvador get away with that much? They're a very unlikable team but I'll still hope they make other teams drop points.

Dominant game today as it should have been. A lot of guys have stepped up big the last couple games.

Have to believe some video is going to CONCACAF.  If not someone isn't doing their job at CanadaSoccer HQ.  

You knew El Salvador's luck was going to run it.  I have a hard, hard time believing they don't finished Dead Fu'king Last in this tourney and I'll be shocked if they score goals, (goals?)  A GOAL in more than 3-4 matches.

An absolute delight to see all those Salvadorians spending money to come up here to see their team lose.  Badly.  Love it.