WCQ | Window 1 | Match Day 3: Canada vs El Salvador- Wednesday, Sept 8th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto, BMO Field

Shway

1 hour ago, Kettles Porter said:

Thanks to the V's for providing CDN FLAGS for the game. My V's flag was confiscated at the gate because I used the shortest line to get in. Anyway, great win. Great energy in the south end. thanks 

Were you by any chance at Gate 4 ?  I saw the security giving a hard time to few fans over the Cdn flags and other issue I didn't know about...confused at their attitude.

I'm definitely not happy by the amount of blue in the crowd in the stands compared to our red (even in the South stands), but I will say that El Salvador national anthem gave me chills and the supporters I ran into showed so much love to Canada even prior to kickoff. It was awesome, but we can't let another fandom takeover our fortress in more contentious games.

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

I'll never forget Peschisolido waiting for a play to restart, standing between two giant Panamanian defenders.  One of the Panamanians very obviously elbowed Pesch in the face purposely, and Pesch ended up getting sent off.  The poor Panamanian got a boo boo on his elbow.

Nothing's changed in CONCACRAP in the last 30 years.

At a game at Swangard in Burnaby (lead up to 1992?) against El Salvador, Pesch flicked the corner flag at a Salvadoran player who had been needling him. The blue clad player fell to the ground as if shot, and Pesch was shown the red. We lost at home playing with ten men after dominating early on. It was a really dumb move and a devastating WCQ home result.

Just now, Stoppage Time said:

At a game at Swangard in Burnaby (lead up to 1992?) against El Salvador, Pesch flicked the corner flag at a Salvadoran player who had been needling him. The blue clad player fell to the ground as if shot, and Pesch was shown the red. We lost at home playing with ten men after dominating early on. It was a really dumb move and a devastating WCQ home result.

That was 1997, the lead up to 1998 WC.  I was at the end of the stadium right behind the corner flag and saw Pesch being stupid.  He actually hurt the player hard with the corner flag, I could hear the “Whack” against the face.  He was frustrated as we were losing.  The Province newspaper had rhe headline “Peschi-stupido”. I’ll never forgot that

39 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm definitely not happy by the amount of blue in the crowd in the stands compared to our red (even in the South stands), but I will say that El Salvador national anthem gave me chills and the supporters I ran into showed so much love to Canada even prior to kickoff. It was awesome, but we can't let another fandom takeover our fortress in more contentious games.

We have to start engaging these fans and ask them to come out and cheer with us when we play our mutual enemies. Salvadoran certainly do not need much encouragement to cheer against Mexico, Panama and Honduras, right? And the US.  They don't have to stop cheering for their home countries, but come out and cheer for your adopted country when we are battling the mutual enemy. That should be our tack. Let's start converting the masses.

13 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

We have to start engaging these fans and ask them to come out and cheer with us when we play our mutual enemies. Salvadoran certainly do not need much encouragement to cheer against Mexico, Panama and Honduras, right? And the US.  They don't have to stop cheering for their home countries, but come out and cheer for your adopted country when we are battling the mutual enemy. That should be our tack. Let's start converting the masses.

I don't know if they pay to come to the games but I'm assuming they do cheer for Canada.

It's like the Italians, Portuguese etc in Toronto. They'll cheer for the Azuri but you know most will ride for Canada when we play. The biggest difference is that we obviously do not play Italy ever. I'm sure that would be a very blue stadium.

The obvious solution if we really cared is putting the games in Regina, Winnipeg, out east etc but that obviously causes other issues

26 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I'm not sure that the Salvadorans would necessarily cheer for Canada against Honduras or Panama. The Latinos that I knew growing up in North Burnaby would rep any Central American country over Canada regardless of their own country of origin. In the case of my neighbourhood, they were mostly Salvadoran or Chilean.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

the Vs really gave it too him every time he tocuhed the ball in the 2nd half !

There was a canadian moron standing with Salvadorans in 111 screaming at the south side “stop! He plays for TFC you idiots!” ... yeah no shit, that’s why they’re booing.

But he may have been trumped by the obvious Canadian in Italy gear and a hat in 111 cheering for “Italy”. Cringeworthy.

Also, BMO field straight up sucks. They wouldn’t let people stand in the “Budweiser” section between 111 and 112. I explained to security that this was a Canada game and they insisted people had tickets there (hint no one showed up all match because there were no such tickets). They then said no one could stand there because Budweiser owned the section. Buffoons. 

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Last week when I was at the Canada Honduras match we had Hondurian supporters surrounding us but to be honest they nice and like me they were just happy to be watching some live footy

36 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I would like to see a replay of that.  From what I remember, he got up and hit the corner flag, which was behind him.  I thought at the time that it just happened to hit the ES player, who then did the "there's a sniper on the roof" routine.  

9 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm not sure that the Salvadorans would necessarily cheer for Canada against Honduras or Panama. The Latinos that I knew growing up in North Burnaby would rep any Central American country over Canada regardless of their own country of origin. In the case of my neighbourhood, they were mostly Salvadoran or Chilean.

I remember seeing one particularly annoying person showing up at Swangard in a blue and white shirt, supporting anyone we were playing, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one.  I don't understand how anyone can cheer against the country where they live, that's giving them a job, a house, an education for their kids, and usually a better life.

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There was a canadian moron standing with Salvadorans in 111 screaming at the south side “stop! He plays for TFC you idiots!” ... yeah no shit, that’s why they’re booing.

But he may have been trumped by the obvious Canadian in Italy gear and a hat in 111 cheering for “Italy”. Cringeworthy.

Also, BMO field straight up sucks. They wouldn’t let people stand in the “Budweiser” section between 111 and 112. I explained to security that this was a Canada game and they insisted people had tickets there (hint no one showed up all match because there were no such tickets). They then said no one could stand there because Budweiser owned the section. Buffoons. 

Jebus.  Sometimes I just want to unscrew people's heads and poke around and try to find which wire's come loose.  

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Thank you for posting this.  I have a couple of thoughts:

While watching this, I noticed that I wouldn't recognise Atiba's voice.  Have I never seen him interviewed before?  If he played hockey instead for 57 years (or however long it's been) for Canada, or had 80-something caps for any other country, he'd be a household name.  He deserves better than this.

Herdman said the team was booed as they got off the bus?  Why aren't Canada supporters there to greet them as they got off the bus instead?   I know there's a great atmosphere amongst the players, but I can't imagine how discouraging that must have been.

Then, to think that for all the work they put in for our country, these guys are treated like a busload of Jesuses compared to our rugby team.  

2 hours ago, vancanman said:

I remember seeing one particularly annoying person showing up at Swangard in a blue and white shirt, supporting anyone we were playing, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one.  I don't understand how anyone can cheer against the country where they live, that's giving them a job, a house, an education for their kids, and usually a better life.

Well, I live in NZ and there is no doubt I would be supporting Canada in a play-off against the All Whites for the intercontinental play-off.  So I can understand it.