WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think it means these clubs/leagues need to get bargaining with their governments. In all likelihood these clubs won't be able to hold back players that want to play WCQ. Some players may decide not to go but they will likely be the minority. 

22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Just thinking though the permutations.  

We could potentially leave our Euro guys home for the US away game (so that they avoid the sanctions - and we earn goodwill from the clubs).  We take a largely MLS based team down their and bunker down hoping for a draw, while focusing on winning the two home games. 

The bigger question is what this does to the US squad.  For their Euro based guys like Pulisic, does this impact their ability to come across the pond and play for them?  If some of their big guns choose to stay with their clubs, all of a sudden their status as a locked in #2 isn’t quite as solid.   

Crazy times…

Edited by dyslexic nam

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just thinking though the permutations.  

We could potentially leave our Euro guys home for the US away game (so that they avoid the sanctions - and we earn goodwill from the clubs).  We take a largely MLS based team down their and bunker down hoping for a draw, while focusing on winning the two home games. 

The bigger question is what this does to the US squad.  For their Euro based guys like Pulisic, does this impact their ability to come across the pond and play for them?  If some of their big guns choose to stay with their clubs, all of a sudden their status as a locked in #2 isn’t quite as solid.   

Crazy times…

Most of those guys are already in the US...Pulisic travelled last night for example. 

But all of our guys are technically travelling from Canada since the US is sandwiched in between two Canadian home games. Unless they have some scenario saying you can't have been in that red list country in the past x days, would they not be ok to travel home from Pearson?

19 minutes ago, grigorio said:

But all of our guys are technically travelling from Canada since the US is sandwiched in between two Canadian home games. Unless they have some scenario saying you can't have been in that red list country in the past x days, would they not be ok to travel home from Pearson?

It's going to depend on the places. The UK is not on that safe list for the EU but you can go to France (and back) without much trouble, for instance. 

I can't see it impacting players on such short notice.  I guess I hope that is the case.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

At the bottom of that article it lists all the countries that are on the safe list, and Canada is the only CONCACAF country on the list after USA is removed. I don't know much of anything about rosters of other teams, but I am assuming there are some European based players called up for teams other than Canada and USA right? If my assumption is correct, then this news probably doesn't mean much at all for WCQ.

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

so is Jamaica going to announce a roster or just put out a team sheet an hour before their first game... 

I think an optimal punishment for this would be for Vic to announce that they must play their October qualifier behind closed doors. 

Oh look.. that's against us. Crazy eh? ;)

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

so is Jamaica going to announce a roster or just put out a team sheet an hour before their first game... 

I see some journalists for MLS clubs have talked about Jamaica players being called up for their clubs specifically 

I wonder if they are still trying to work some magic for the UK based guys. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I respect that.

Makes sense. As the home game will be crucial for them. What I see is that it will be two completely different teams. But if restrictions are lightened up, and all those guys listed are able to play in let’s say October…..Jamaica will be problems offensively. 

29 minutes ago, theaub said:

Strangely the follow up tweet says that the asterisk only refers to Mexico but Costa Rica is also a red list country,

I think that is just some rando commenting, another says both. 

Update: Sorry, I see what you mean.  Twitter not my thing.  But unless they are hoping to change some minds before then nothing will change. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

10 hours ago, narduch said:

There is a possibility some teams may request we don't bring some players to our US road game

Yeah I think this probably hurts us more than them. Most of their players are in camp already, so the die is cast.

The thing is though, these lists have a habit of being somewhat sticky. I bet next month their covid numbers are getting better, but their still not on the list.

No love for the USMNT but we do want them to beat up on as many other teams as possible, and generally covid restrictions, three game window and roster turmoil favours deeper teams with good domestic leagues.

I.e. the States and Mexico will fair better than all others. Which is good for us.

If we manage things right we could possibly do ok as well. But I do think it would be a good idea for us to have about a 10 player domestic taxi squad training with the team on a regular basis and ready to step in when required.

They've done the taxi squad thing before, but anyone know if there's been evidence of one this round? If not they might want to get on that.

Edited by A_Gagne