Theo Corbeanu

jordan

3 hours ago, Matro25 said:

Yeah I was not happy to see him get loaned out to League 1. I get it, its the best 3rd tier football in the world, but its still a 3rd tier system.

Would have much rather seen him get loaned out to a mid table team somewhere like the Netherlands or Belgium if he can't get playing time at Wolves. 

Probably the best tier 3 is Germany B3, but we can discuss that another day. 

The English teams tend to loan into their own system, that way they keep a close eye on players, they can get called back before loans end (I see these clauses exist, they are talking about it with Jebbison), they get seen by other clubs in case more loans are sought out, or transfers. Other nations don't tend to raid the English lower tiers.

Thing is, the English system pays so well that the incentives to go elsewhere are not high. A move like Millar's is actually not that usual.

• 2 weeks later...

The Australian broadcast partner for the Premier League has done a piece highlighting one young player to watch from each club in the next year.

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/os36851/part-2-every-premier-league-clubs-young-player-to-watch-in-2022

Wolverhampton Wanderers – Theo Corbeanu

Canadian forward Corbeanu left his home nation for England in 2018, aged just 16, first attending a trial with Leicester before impressing in a try-out for Wolves, who offered the youngster a scholarship contract.

A frequent scorer at under-23s level, Corbeanu was a regular feature on the first team’s bench last season, before eventually making his debut in May, coming on as a substitute in a 2-0 defeat to Tottenham.

Already capped six times for Canada, the 19-year-old is spending this season on loan in League One with Sheffield Wednesday. A strong showing upon returning to his parent club for 2022-23’s pre-season could see him earn a sustained spot in Bruno Lage’s squad.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

The Australian broadcast partner for the Premier League has done a piece highlighting one young player to watch from each club in the next year.

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/os36851/part-2-every-premier-league-clubs-young-player-to-watch-in-2022

Wolverhampton Wanderers – Theo Corbeanu

Canadian forward Corbeanu left his home nation for England in 2018, aged just 16, first attending a trial with Leicester before impressing in a try-out for Wolves, who offered the youngster a scholarship contract.

A frequent scorer at under-23s level, Corbeanu was a regular feature on the first team’s bench last season, before eventually making his debut in May, coming on as a substitute in a 2-0 defeat to Tottenham.

Already capped six times for Canada, the 19-year-old is spending this season on loan in League One with Sheffield Wednesday. A strong showing upon returning to his parent club for 2022-23’s pre-season could see him earn a sustained spot in Bruno Lage’s squad.

Yeah I’m a big fan of his potential.  If we qualify for Qatar, I feel like his role in the roster over the next 10-11 months will really flourish for the CMNT and he’ll be included.

9 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Yeah I’m a big fan of his potential.  If we qualify for Qatar, I feel like his role in the roster over the next 10-11 months will really flourish for the CMNT and he’ll be included.

The only thing I don't agree with is the "if".😎

9 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

We'll most definitely make the WC but I don't see a spot for Theo in this cycle unless Canada has a long run of injuries and this damn Covid becomes more lethal.

27 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

We'll most definitely make the WC but I don't see a spot for Theo in this cycle unless Canada has a long run of injuries and this damn Covid becomes more lethal.

Spots 1-18 are already guaranteed barring any injuries or healthy issues. The rest are up for grabs. Meaning Corbeanu can definitely put himself in the mix depending on his next 10-11 months as suggested by @EJsens1.

I believe he will be our next star attacker, and it’s very possible we see him in Qatar.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

If his next loan spell is to the championship by the start of next season and he's performing well he has a strong change of making an early winter world cup squad. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Spots 1-18 are already guaranteed barring any injuries or healthy issues. The rest are up for grabs. Meaning Corbeanu can definitely put himself in the mix depending on his next 10-11 months as suggested by @EJsens1.

I believe he will be our next star attacker, and it’s very possible we see him in Qatar.

I count more than 18 guaranteed.

goalies 3

defenders at least 7: (maybe 8:Johnston, Vitoria, Miller, Henry, Kennedy, Adekugbe, Solholm and or Cornelius

midfielders at least 6: Hutch, Kay, Eustaquio, Piette, Oso, Arfield

attackers at least 7: Larin, Hoilett, David, Buchanon, Davies, Ugbo, Akinola

That's 23 if we go with 7 defenders. 24 if we go with 8 defenders. If the squad size will be 23 we're one over. If it'll be 26 we're two under and I don't see another attacker as part of those next two spots.

EDIT: I forgot Cavallini which makes Theo's inclusion even less likely.

EDIT v2: Damn I forgot Laryea.

Edited by Sal333

12 minutes ago, king1010 said:

If his next loan spell is to the championship by the start of next season and he's performing well he has a strong change of making an early winter world cup squad. 

Who is he going to push off the squad: David, Davies, Larin, Buchanon, Hoilett, Ugbo or Akinola?

Edited by Sal333

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Who he is going to push off the squad: David, Davies, Larin, Buchanon, Hoilett, Ugbo or Akinola?

The only one from that list I could see would be Akinola, depending upon how he responds post injury.  God forbid one of the others gets injured.

Elsewhere, I don't see Arfield as anywhere near a lock.

22 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I count more than 18 guaranteed.

goalies 3

defenders at least 7: (maybe 8:Johnston, Vitoria, Miller, Henry, Kennedy, Adekugbe, Solholm and or Cornelius

midfielders at least 6: Hutch, Kay, Eustaquio, Piette, Oso, Arfield

attackers at least 7: Larin, Hoilett, David, Buchanon, Davies, Ugbo, Akinola

That's 23 if we go with 7 defenders. 24 if we go with 8 defenders. If the squad size will be 23 we're one over. If it'll be 26 we're two over and I don't see another attacker as part of those next two spots.

I don't think some of these guys are as locked in as you think. A lock would indicate that this guy cannot be removed barring injury, and some of the names you listed don't deserve that status just yet.

Goalies: Borjan, Crepeau 

Third goalie, no offence, but we could draw that out of a hat at this point.

Defenders: Johnston, Vitoria, Miller, Laryea and Adekugbe are locks.

After that Henry is closest to it imo, but you can make the argument that anyone can play into this group. For Kennedy, although we've all liked what we've seen from him, he's only played 90 vs Suriname and Haitix2, he's got a little bit of work to do before becoming a lock.

Mids: Hutch, MAK, Eustaquio, Oso are locks.

We can't lock Arfield because he hasn't played in years, the rest are all borderline. Piette can easily be played off the final 23 if some young guys take big progressions over the next 12 months. Wotherspoon deserves a look if he's able to recover and shake off the rust in time.

Attackers: Larin, David, Buchanan, and Davies are the only guarantees.

As unfortunate as it is, Hoilett's recent spell of injuries and other guys both committing and starting to take strides forward has put his spot into jeopardy. I still think he's at Qatar, but I wouldn't say he's a guarantee right now. Akinola we can't call a lock because we have no clue how he'll bounce back from a major injury. Edit: adding that I think the 5th and 6th attackers on this list could be Millar and Ugbo, but don't think they're in the lock category just yet.

So looking at this, I only think there's 15 guaranteed locks. There's still a lot of room for competition and playing your way onto this squad over the next 10 months. That's not to say it's because guys aren't good enough, but it's because we're starting to become deep at so many different positions on the field.

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I don't think some of these guys are as locked in as you think. A lock would indicate that this guy cannot be removed barring injury, and some of the names you listed don't deserve that status just yet.

Defenders: Johnston, Vitoria, Miller, and Adekugbe are locks.

After that Henry is closest to it imo, but you can make the argument that anyone can play into this group. Although we've all liked what we've seen from him, he's only played 90 vs Suriname and Haitix2, he's got a little bit of work to do before becoming a lock.

Are you talking about Henry here?  Played 90 vs, US in Nashville, 90 vs. Jamaica and started the game against Mexico in Iceteca before coming off injured or yellow card fear.  I think he's a lock.

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Defenders: Johnston, Vitoria, Miller, and Adekugbe are locks.

After that Henry is closest to it imo, but you can make the argument that anyone can play into this group. Although we've all liked what we've seen from him, he's only played 90 vs Suriname and Haitix2, he's got a little bit of work to do before becoming a lock.

Mids: Hutch, MAK, Eustaquio, Oso are locks.

We can't lock Arfield because he hasn't played in years, the rest are all borderline. Piette can easily be played off the final 23 if some young guys take big progressions over the next 12 months. Wotherspoon deserves a look if he's able to recover and shake off the rust in time.

Attackers: Larin, David, Buchanan, and Davies are the only guarantees.

As unfortunate as it is, Hoilett's recent spell of injuries and other guys both committing and starting to take strides forward has put his spot into jeopardy. I still think he's at Qatar, but I wouldn't say he's a guarantee right now. Akinola we can't call a lock because we have no clue how he'll bounce back from a major injury.

So looking at this, I only think there's 14 guaranteed locks. There's still a lot of room for competition and playing your way onto this squad over the next 10 months. That's not to say it's because guys aren't good enough, but it's because we're starting to become deep at so many different positions on the field.

Unless Theo plays goal or defence it doesn't matter which players we choose for those spots. What matters is how many attackers will you bring to Qatar. Definitely ahead of Theo we have

Larin, David, Davies, Ugbo, Buchanon, Cavallini.  That's six

Other forwrads Maybe Akinola and Hoilett won't make it but as of today they're still ahead of Theo on the depth chart. So that's 8 attackers. Is Theo ahead of Millar? I don't think so. So that's 9 attackers with Millar, 10 with Theo. How many forwrads do you plan on bringing over?

2 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Are you talking about Henry here?  Played 90 vs, US in Nashville, 90 vs. Jamaica and started the game against Mexico in Iceteca before coming off injured or yellow card fear.  I think he's a lock.

Sorry I switched to talking about Kennedy there.

I agree Henry is probably the next defender on the list to take that spot, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that if Solholm were to commit and Cornelius and Kennedy took major strides forward, he could be the odd one out. I know that's asking for all the stars to align, but it's not impossible to think about.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Unless Theo plays goal or defence it doesn't matter which players we choose for those spots. What matters is how many attackers will you bring to Qatar. Definitely ahead of Theo we have

Other forwrads Maybe Akinola and Hoilett won't make it but as of today they're still ahead of Theo on the depth chart. So that's 8 attackers. Is Theo ahead of Millar? I don't think so. So that's 9 attackers with Millar, 10 with Theo. How many forwrads do you plan on bringing over?

No I agree, unless Theo takes monumental steps forward, he's not going to Qatar. I was more making the point that calling a bunch of these guys locks for Qatar at this point is premature. As far as attackers go, only Larin, David, Davies, and Buchanan are 100% locked in. For the rest of the guys, there's more work to do before I'm ready to call them guarantees.

23 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

If we continue to implement a 3 ATB formation, Theo definitely has a chance at cracking the WC squad. He’s been playing very well at LWB/RWB for Wednesday.

edit: and yes I know our formation is usually fluid. Sometimes it’s a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2, maybe a 3-4-3. Just shows that Theo is versatile which makes him an important piece 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

24 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

No I agree, unless Theo takes monumental steps forward, he's not going to Qatar. I was more making the point that calling a bunch of these guys locks for Qatar at this point is premature. As far as attackers go, only Larin, David, Davies, and Buchanan are 100% locked in. For the rest of the guys, there's more work to do before I'm ready to call them guarantees.

I sort of agree with you and I sort of disagree with you. Let's look at the depth chart for fowards:

1) Davies

2) David

3) Larin

4) Buchanon

5) Ugbo

6) Cavallini

7) Hoilett

😎 Akinola

9) Millar

10) Corbeanu

Yes Theo can jump the queue or there can be a massive injury bug that strikes CAN MNT. But on the flip side Mitrovic, Jebbison, Morales or Dias can impress and commit. But as of today Theo is 10th on the depth chart and I figure we bring 6 maybe 7 forwards to Qatar.

Edited by Sal333

5 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I sort of agree with and I sort of disagree with you. Let's look at the depth chart for fowards:

1) Davies

2) David

3) Larin

4) Buchanon

5) Ugbo

6) Cavallini

7) Hoilett

😎 Akinola

9) Millar

10) Corbeanu

Yes Theo can jump the queue or there can be a massive injury bug that strikes CAN MNT. But on the flip side Mitrovic, Jebbison, Morales or Dias can impress and commit. But as of today Theo is 10th on the depth chart and I figure we bring 6 maybe 7 forwards to Qatar.

Akinola last played at the GC in June, battled with consistency since MLS is back, and has no real timeline for return from injury. I’m just as high on him as the next V, but how can he be ahead of someone who has been consistently performing, playing, and has a chance of a championship loan/cracking a PL squad within the next calendar year? Not even adding the fact Theo can play multiple positions.

4 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Akinola last played at the GC in June, battled with consistency since MLS is back, and has no real timeline for return from injury. I’m just as high on him as the next V, but how can he be ahead of someone who has been consistently performing, playing, and has a chance of a championship loan/cracking a PL squad within the next calendar year? Not even adding the fact Theo can play multiple positions.

For expediency I won't argue your point about Akinola. So that places Theo 9th on the depth chart. Do you think we're bringing 9 forwards to Qatar?

Edited by Sal333

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

For expediency I won't argue your point about Akinola. So that places Theo 9th on the depth chart. Do you think we're bringing 9 forwards to Qatar?

I don’t strictly consider Theo a forward to start. Like I said, he can play LWB/RWB/RM/LM/ST. That’s valuable specially if his trajectory continues the way it is

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

I guess it's just a matter of how everyone ranks guys. Currently, I'd have Theo jumping Akinola at your 9 slot (I'd also have Millar starting above Cav and Hoilett, but that's personal opinion). GIven the lack of form out of Cav and Hoilett's injury problems, I don't think it's impossible for Theo to be at that 7 slot come November 2022. Do I currently expect him to be there? No. Will I be surprised if he is? No.

Just now, N1ckbr0wn said:

I don’t strictly consider Theo a forward to start. Like I said, he can play LWB/RWB/RM/LM/ST. That’s valuable specially if his trajectory continues the way it is

Except for the striker position we already have Buchanon, Davies, Layrea, Adekugbe, Johnston, Millar covering those positions.