Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

2 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I would play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 with

Borjan

Laryea-Vitoria-cornelius-miller

Hoilet-piette-kaye-davies

David-cav

Lots of people would like to see this sort of formation tried in a safe game, but against the US in a virtual must-win, there is a god chance that this kind of offensive formation knocks us out of hex contention if our midfield gets  badly overrun.

13 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

James

Hainault

Straith

Edgar

Kapor

Gasparotto

James: hasn't played for his club since mid-August

Hainault: has played exactly 1 minute for his club this season.

Straith: Hasn't played for his club since early August

Edgar: would need to miss two league matches

Kapor: plays for a bad first division team halfway across the world

Gasparotto: would need to miss one league match

I think that the reason why Didic got picked was because he wouldn't miss any games for Edmonton while there, but it wasn't the case for the other CPL players. 

Edited by Blackdude
added more to Kapor since it's not like Bukhoro is Pakhtakor

Delighted for Didic and the CPL. Given his size and experience I guess he is a natural choice from the CPL. Zator might be a little disappointed, likewise Gasparotto although the former has been playing RB recently. 

Henry is a weird one. Has he really become an influential leader in the group? Maybe? Obviously Herdman gets to see him with the others a bit more training in advance of the return leg. Seems a strange risk for anyone getting injured. 

Larin's omission raises an eyebrow on initial glance but not on further inspection. We know his past club level form and confidence and he honestly hasn't managed to translate his previous MLS form to the international stage either. Touch wood looks potentially on the right track to finding his feet at club level again. Leave him in Belgium training with his club, it is more beneficial while we have depth upfront. Hopefully he really lights it up and then he gets another chance to prove he can succeed also on the international stage.   

Shame there is no Hutch. I thought he would be one of the first names for the US games given his experience. 

49 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Okay I watch them play semi-regularly, I don't think Hoillett, at this point, provides a consistent goal threat at a level above Davies.

Ok. We'll see what Herdman thinks. After his last performance for us it's gonna be tough to tell Jr to have a seat

Herdman said during the Cuba matches that Henry is part of the leadership group amongst the players. 

Whitecaps are also done after this weekend. So, another week of training to keep him fit for November's match. 

And there isn't a compelling reason to call up anyone else that will actually play on the backline like it is with the midfield and forward groups. 

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Ok. We'll see what Herdman thinks. After his last performance for us it's gonna be tough to tell Jr to have a seat

Thank you. 

Wears the armband, bags a hatty, was able to stretch the field wide with ease and beats his man 1v1 on repeat all game. 

Junior flew home for family, didn't see the field Cuba away  and almost the entire game we looked awful on the flanks until Liam subbed in. Yes, part of that was the Wotherspoon + WJ midfield combo, but still. 

Anyways no idea how we bench Hoilett, especially with his experience, guess we will see. 

To be fair, we are blessed to bring a guy off the bench like Davies or Hoilett, or maybe Herdman does start Davies as LB, I personally think he gives up more going forward in a game we should go ftw.

Big decisions for Herdman here.

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Some good players will have to sit or be moved.  Is he going to move Davies who scored our last goal, which was not in a rout, and who he said he saw the "real" version of playing on the wing? Maybe, if he thinks he has to, as we are taking a dramatic step up in opposition but from his comments he definitely does not want to.  

As long as we win I don't care.

I worry for Junior though, he does not look great against Championship opposition a lot of the time, lately.  Which is about US level, generally I would say.  If he can step it up just for us, makes a great reverse of a lot situations. 

Seems strange to me ZBG wasn't called, hopefully he has not fallen out of favor. Guess he is still quite young so he will have his chance again. 

Haiti has been rotating players at RB. Haiti's last game vs Curacao they were forced to play a player from the Haitian soccer league at RB 20 mins in due to injury. No idea of the level of the Haiti League, but still we are fortunate ZBG has been capped to us. 

I do agree in a sense that ZBG needs to see more game mins before he gets called back, just like James.

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Delighted for Didic and the CPL. Given his size and experience I guess he is a natural choice from the CPL. Zator might be a little disappointed, likewise Gasparotto although the former has been playing RB recently. 

I've always preached that's there isn't a visible bar to maintain or reach to get a call up. There's guys who consistently aren't called and are having better seasons then someone who did. 

We can all question why James isn't there (which I most definitely think he should), but the bottom line is he isn't playing. Plain and simple. 

Now how Zator doesn't get the call over Didic is beyond me. Zator has nearly 20 clean sheets in 30 games/2,515 minutes this season. He's been part of a backline that has only conceded 8 goals from their 13 games this season. 

I'm going to assume he was going to be called, but declined because he is injured. (He wasn't on the bench, much less starting for their last game so somethings up)

Zator still has things to play for at the end of the season, Didic doesnt...let him go to the camp and herdman can see what he is all about.  i dont mind that at all, the last roster spot goes to a CPL guy with potential.  Carducci, Didic, Zator, Borges, Ongaro, Campbell, Telfer....Telfer... (too soon to joke about it?)

Really sending a message to Larin I guess.  This is the first time he’s been dropped by Canada and it’s been a long time coming.  Hopefully he’s back and motivated as hell for Orlando - that could be a perfect storm. 

Why the fuck is Henry in an official squad? So we’ll have more backup keepers on the bench than CBs?

Genius Herdman.  Is this even legal? I get if he was called as a squad player but why waste an official roster spot? Infuriating when we need all the depth we can get. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

22 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Really sending a message to Larin I guess.  This is the first time he’s been dropped by Canada and it’s been a long time coming.  Hopefully he’s back and motivated as hell for Orlando - that could be a perfect storm. 

Why the **** is Henry in an official squad? So we’ll have more backup keepers on the bench than CBs?

Genius Herdman.  Is this even legal? I get if he was called as a squad player but why waste an official roster spot? Infuriating when we need all the depth we can get. 

I am curious if he was “dropped” or if he was allowed to stay at the club recognizing that we have a ton of attacking talent.  Seems odd that he would get calls while struggling and then he sent a message once he starts to regain confidence. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am curious if he was “dropped” or if he was allowed to stay at the club recognizing that we have a ton of attacking talent.  Seems odd that he would get calls while struggling and then he sent a message once he starts to regain confidence. 

I wonder if Herdman has settled on starting David and using Cav as the super sub.  In which case, Larin would definitely not play. 

28 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why the **** is Henry in an official squad? So we’ll have more backup keepers on the bench than CBs?

I think the long time coming had come and gone. Given his recent performance he warranted a call up, a year ago not so much. Would to have a reporter ask him about the Larin omission.