Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

54 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

He played 90 minutes for FC Midtjylland less than a week ago.

I would have liked to see James called in. He's always performed well for Canada, is a big threat on set pieces, and currently plays at the highest level of all Canadian CBs (albiet not as often as we'd like). He's still one of our best CBs IMO. 

Also Davies > Hoilett. Have people already forgetten how Davies dominated the MLS as a LW as an 17/18 year old?! 8 league goals for VWFC that season, who knows what he would have done had he stayed and, you know, not gone to BAYERN MUNICH....

I think Vitoria is playing at a higher level than James and the difference is Vitoria actually “plays”

58 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

He played 90 minutes for FC Midtjylland less than a week ago.

I would have liked to see James called in. He's always performed well for Canada, is a big threat on set pieces, and currently plays at the highest level of all Canadian CBs (albiet not as often as we'd like). He's still one of our best CBs IMO. 

Sorry, I forgot about Cup matches. But, yes, he's hasn't played a league match in a while.

Some tidbits from Herdman:

Atiba: “There were some long conversations that were uncomfortable with Atiba,” said Herdman, a native of England. “He’s committed to play for Canada. He came out of the Gold Cup with an injury. He’s got a pretty big schedule with Besiktas. We sort of came to a decision that he needs this FIFA window for recovery. He would love to be there — he probably came back a little bit too early for his club. He knows the size of the task that’s ahead. He doesn’t feel his body is ready for the travel, match and recovery.”

Henry: “It’s a one-game window,” Herdman explained. “You’re not relying that much on the depth. When you play these one-game windows, it’s a starting eleven and three subs. When you have that experience and how these things are going to unfold — we’ve got our cover, to have Doneil in there, we’re looking ahead to November. He’s really growing in that leadership role. He’s had a big influence, to not have him in this camp and not have a part of what we’re doing is always a challenge. It’s tough.”

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/canada-roster-concacaf-nations-john-herdman-usmnt/

14 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Thank you and goodbye to Hutchinson..turning 37 his body saying no..stop forcing it just let it go

Agreed. Herdman needs to let him go. Whats the benefit of forcing him to play at 37 when his body isnt recovering as fast as it used to. He’s not going to be around for 2022 world cup, now is the time to transition to a guy like eustaquio. 

We should definitely have a friendly send off at BMO for him though. Maybe against Turkey😎

Edited by king1010

Still not thrilled with his explanation for Henry. He mentions how he's keeping an eye on players like Borges, so wouldn't calling players like him to training camp be a good way to see how he does instead of a player who's role is already cemented? I doubt he'll be doing it for the away match against the States so it feels like a wasted opportunity.

You guys have it all wrong, the salesman is saying that for the boards and the fans that want him out there.  I am sure Atiba and Herdman both know how much he has left in the tank.  If Herdman came out and said..canadian legend is done, cant hack it anymore we have moved on..everyone would shit on him.  Herdman is giving his respect, while leaving the door open just a crack for another camp down the road.  

7 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Still not thrilled with his explanation for Henry. He mentions how he's keeping an eye on players like Borges, so wouldn't calling players like him to training camp be a good way to see how he does instead of a player who's role is already cemented? I doubt he'll be doing it for the away match against the States so it feels like a wasted opportunity.

Maybe he is trying to keep continuity...Henry in the drills and training because they know he is there long term, even if he is out for the next match.  I doubt anyone from in the CPL (now) is going to break into the attacking lineup when we are having discussions about whether Cav should come off the bench, plus Hoilet or Piette might sit as well.  Keep an eye on Borges sure..but your not going to drop Millar, Johnson, Tiebert etc to make room for him.  

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe he is trying to keep continuity...Henry in the drills and training because they know he is there long term, even if he is out for the next match.  I doubt anyone from in the CPL (now) is going to break into the attacking lineup when we are having discussions about whether Cav should come off the bench, plus Hoilet or Piette might sit as well.  Keep an eye on Borges sure..but your not going to drop Millar, Johnson, Tiebert etc to make room for him.  

I completely agree with keeping the continuity of the key guys of the future.  Yes, call in henry as the 24th unofficial guy, it'll benefit the preparation by him just being there - but it's a missed opportunity to call in a guy as the 23rd guy who could do with the national team experience/clout, even if there's no intention for them to play. We have attackers who a guy like Zator, Samuel, or the perfect example Didic can experience. They're not expected to play, or be one of three subs. 

And damn really? To me... Johnson, and Rusty are both expendable. A guy like Adekugbe has had a great season - showed out against Rusty in the CC... And that's not even thinking about Eustaquio coming in.

Liam's a prospect as much as Borges is one - he's a winter transfer away from deserving an automatic call up since the CPL isn't good enough. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I completely agree with keeping the continuity of the key guys of the future.  Yes, call in henry as the 24th unofficial guy, it'll benefit the preparation by him just being there - but it's a missed opportunity to call in a guy as the 23rd guy who could do with the national team experience/clout, even if there's no intention for them to play. We have attackers who a guy like Zator, Samuel, or the perfect example Didic can experience. They're not expected to play, or be one of three subs. 

And damn really? To me... Johnson, and Rusty are both expendable. A guy like Adekugbe has had a great season - showed out against Rusty in the CC... And that's not even thinking about Eustaquio coming in.

Liam's a prospect as much as Borges is one - he's a winter transfer away from deserving an automatic call up since the CPL isn't good enough. 

Sure there are expendable guys there, but leave them at home and you'll have people argue for Shome, or a CDM like Fraser for those last spots over Adekugbe or Borges.  Drop Millar, and some will want Akendele or Bair (making a case for a call).  Depth is something new and strange we'll have to get used to, HAHA!  The CPL CB's are the ones that have a good chance to break through first.  

4 hours ago, Shway said:

I don't think Vancouver would release him to be the 24th man, as it would be their choice and not a mandatory release.

4 hours ago, BCM said:

I don't think Vancouver would release him to be the 24th man, as it would be their choice and not a mandatory release.

Come on, their season is done.  Even if it wasn’t why would they burn a bridge with a player and the CSA?  It’s just corner cutting and a lame excuse to nickel and dime.  The USA just called 26 players.. 

Do all the people clamouring for Forge and Cavalry players not realize that both of those teams have games during the upcoming international window?

Cavalry plays twice (both against Forge) while Forge plays three times. Neither team is in a position to be losing their best players for 10 days, even if their matches are "meaningless."

34 minutes ago, RS said:

Do all the people clamouring for Forge and Cavalry players not realize that both of those teams have games during the upcoming international window?

Cavalry plays twice (both against Forge) while Forge plays three times. Neither team is in a position to be losing their best players for 10 days, even if their matches are "meaningless."

I have to agree with this and to add to it, the next 2 games against the USMNT isn't the time to experiment and integrate guys who've never played with the national team.

We have to go with the guys we have now for chemistry and to give us the best chance to make the HEX. This is do or die.

Herdman, Forge & Cavalry and the players understands as much.

41 minutes ago, RS said:

I feel like the plan is to monitor the Forge v Cavalry matches and then select 1/2 from there for November. 

Between the two clubs there are probably 5 guys who could realistically be called based on skill/positional need: Borges, Carducci, Zator, Edgar, Awuah.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I feel like the plan is to monitor the Forge v Cavalry matches and then select 1/2 from there for November. 

Between the two clubs there are probably 5 guys who could realistically be called based on skill/positional need: Borges, Carducci, Zator, Edgar, Awuah.  

For me Pasquotti has been the big standout, even more so than Zator.

If Borges is in your select group (which I agree with), then why not Nico? Both are wide attackers who make an impact with their club.

I haven't watched the last few Forge games, so I will ask: how is Edgar playing? Does his form warrant a re-call, or is this moreso a legacy shout because he's been there and done that?

I didn't mind the Edgar calls in 2018, but with the re-emergece of Victoria and Herdman talking up Henry's leadership role, where does Edgar fit in?

23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For me Pasquotti has been the big standout, even more so than Zator.

If Borges is in your select group (which I agree with), then why not Nico? Both are wide attackers who make an impact with their club.

I haven't watched the last few Forge games, so I will ask: how is Edgar playing? Does his form warrant a re-call, or is this moreso a legacy shout because he's been there and done that?

I didn't mind the Edgar calls in 2018, but with the re-emergece of Victoria and Herdman talking up Henry's leadership role, where does Edgar fit in?

After watching Didic struggles last night I would say Edgar would be a better call and I would be more comfortable if he was forced to come in to a CB position, he's been solid for Forge and seems to be getting better! He didn't start last night but came on as a sub late on for Bekker and played just in front of the back 4, he completely took control of things and Forge saw the match out! As for Didic, I haven't seen enough of him to comment overall, he sure had some problems last night!