The Road to Qatar.

Binky

14 minutes ago, costarg said:

Like not following CWNT is sexist all of a sudden?

(I'm creating a separate post to answer this one)

This is a strawman. No one suggested that not following the WNT is sexist (until you did, I guess), but knowing enough about Huitema's situation to speak about her not being allowed to travel to Canada's current camp while still referring to her as "Davies' girlfriend" is questionable.

1 minute ago, RS said:

(I'm creating a separate post to answer this one)

This is a strawman. No one suggested that not following the WNT is sexist (until you did, I guess), but knowing enough about Huitema's situation to speak about her not being allowed to travel to Canada's current camp while still referring to her as "Davies' girlfriend" is questionable.

Is it? 

He explained himself already. What more do you want?

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

there will be a domino impact if we can't bring our Euro based players for WCQ and may have to dip into Olympic player squad. Perhaps that's what is holding things up

And based on that, this is why I stated this:  

On 2/6/2021 at 11:59 PM, Shway said:

I’m going to go with expectation that nothing will drastically change in the next 30 days for restrictions to substantially alter the outcomes of these rosters. Meaning, I’ll assume that no UK, or European guys will be called up for either the Senior or U24 squad. With that in mind here’s what I think we could see what these rosters could look like. Given that the WCQ and OQ are taking place during the same time, who attended the recent  French Fries camp(can't call it a Poutine), and who was listed on the initial on the 2020 Olympic provisional roster ( I understand this is subjective considering there will be a new list released soon).

Here’s who I got for the U24s: 

Goal Keepers
St. Clair, Pantemis, Hasal

Defenders:
Dunn, Halbouini, Sturring, Montgomerry, Bassong, Gutierrez, Johnston

Midfielders: 
Fraser, Okello, Baldisimo, Priso, Shome,

Forwards:
Bair, Shaffelburg, Marshall-Rutty, Johnson, Peruzza

On the Cusp: D. Choinere, Campbell, NS’a, Farsi, Abzi

image.png.2df8336b285bef0b203e5848f8833a9f.png

Here’s who  I have with the 1st Team:

Goal Keepers:
Crepeau, Carducci, Henry

Defenders:
Waterman, Miller, Corneilius, Didic, Adekugbe, Laryea, Brault-Guillard 

Midfielders:
Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Bustos, Edwards, Teibert, Chapman

Forwards: 
Akindele, Cavalini, Akinola*, Ricketts, Nelson, Buchanan

image.png.282ffd16bdf19591ffc82f0d4bd7d26c.png

* Akindele starts against Bermuda. 

I'm going to strongly guess, that we won't see much rotation between the two games against Bermuda or the Cayman islands. Reason why I have the U24 squad with better backups at positions vs the senior guys. I think the extra game warrants it, as rotation in those style tournaments are inevitable, so  why not have solid backups without jeopardizing the senior squad. 

I'm fine with this roster for Bermuda and Cayman Islands....

But for the Olympics...it'll be tough.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

there will be a domino impact if we can't bring our Euro based players for WCQ and may have to dip into Olympic player squad. Perhaps that's what is holding things up

Some positives:

we called European players in the January camp. There are several women from English teams playing the Americans tonight in the she believes cup. 

On 2/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The press in Bermuda seems concerned that they won't be able to call their England-based players:

https://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/sport/article/20210217/kyle-lightbourne-suffers-selection-setback-ahead-of-world-cup-qualifiers/

I doubt that we will get ours if they can't get theirs.

Thanks for the link. The article mentions that Bermuda may not be able to call the likes of Wells, Eve, Butterfield, Smith, Donawa, and Lambe. I went back and looked at Bermuda's lineup from their 2-0 win in Panama during the Nations League in 2019. Wells, Eve, Donawa, and Lambe were 4 of their starting XI. Butterfield wasn't part of that match, but did start in their 5-1 loss to Mexico, so that could potentially be 5 of their starting XI.

The possibility also exists that all 3 GK who were part of their 2019 Nations League squad could be playing for English clubs. Their starting GK, Dale Eve, wasn't playing in England at the time, but now is. The other 2 were playing club football in England in 2019, so if that's still accurate, that might be another interesting part to next month's matches.

Edited by jtpc

49 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Due to the violence in the Haiti league championship , CONCACAF decided to ban club competitions in Haiti for one year. Archaie will host Cruz Azul in the Dominican Republic. It has not yet been confirmed whether it will also be banned for WCQ matches. 

Thanks for providing us updates (as always).

This may have implications should we and Haiti reach the second stage of WCQ. 

Since both countries will likely not be hosting games (for different reasons), they could just run both games back-to-back at a neutral venue.

But since neither would host, the concept of a home-and-away is not really necessary. So could the competition organizers decide to reduce it to a one-off match? 

I think I speak for everyone when I say: this is my biggest fear.

Also, this is an aside, but does anyone know if this violence is in any way linked to the Haitian people rioting and fighting for the removal of their corrupt government?

Edited by Obinna

• Admin locked this topic