The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Canada also requires a 2-week quarantine for our March 24th game, theoretically in Canada against Bermuda. And $2,000 a person for hotel quarantine while they await test results. So that's $40,000 right there for any visiting team. Do Bermuda and Suriname have that type of budget?

The whole idea of the application to Sports Canada to host an event is to avoid such a quarantine. See my post earlier in this thread.

The question, I believe is

Did Canada Soccer submit an application to Sports Canada for an exemption and was it approved?

The problem with a centralised location is not the getting in (as the assumption is they would pick one that has no quarantine to get in), the problem is getting players back to their home/host countries without a 2 week quarantine.  Most players or their teams wont allow them to play if they have to quarantine for 2 weeks on the way back.  

Also, as I have said before, I think there is no way that the Asian region will be playing qualifiers anywhere in March.  Look at what is happening with the Australian open and Australia is indicative of the Asian region.  Very very tight quarantines.  My view is the Asia region is going to make it difficult for FIFA to continue with the World Cup in 2022.  They may find a work around but its not going to be easy.

It really sucks. Usually I have the next Canada game circled on my calendar. But things are so uncertain I haven't bothered. I don't know the dates of our scheduled games. Not sure if they will actually happen then, or if they do, where they will be played, or who will be allowed to play. And I feel like we won't know any of this with any certainty until a ball is actually kicked.

Someone mentioned that it worked in Florida, with the very notable exception that we didn't actually play our scrimmage against the USA, and that cancellation I believe happened on the day the scrimmage was supposed to happen. A centralized location like Florida might make the most sense, we will see, but even if the teams get there it will still be a wait and see if the game actually goes ahead.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

It really sucks. Usually I have the next Canada game circled on my calendar. But things are so uncertain I haven't bothered. I don't know the dates of our scheduled games. Not sure if they will actually happen then, or if they do, where they will be played, or who will be allowed to play. And I feel like we won't know any of this with any certainty until a ball is actually kicked.

Someone mentioned that it worked in Florida, with the very notable exception that we didn't actually play our scrimmage against the USA, and that cancellation I believe happened on the day the scrimmage was supposed to happen. A centralized location like Florida might make the most sense, we will see, but even if the teams get there it will still be a wait and see if the game actually goes ahead.

Perhaps Concacaf League should be a warning about what can happen if you try to play these matches. They had numerous cancelations, foreits and rescheduling.

Are people ready to live with us forfeiting a match hours before a game because 2 or 3 players test positive?

These aren't club matches you can reschedule a few weeks later.

Next weeks FIFA Club World Cup should be interesting. Auckland FC backed out.

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

Perhaps Concacaf League should be a warning about what can happen if you try to play these matches. They had numerous cancelations, foreits and rescheduling.

Are people ready to live with us forfeiting a match hours before a game because 2 or 3 players test positive?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the World Health Organization recently recommended for test thresholds to be lowered. If testers adopt this, the number of false positives (and positives for that matter) should decrease. 

And should these recommendations be adopted, the risk of forfeiting matches should go down and WCQ can hopefully have a better chance of happening. I am sure the vaccine will help too (they won't hurt, right?), but one way or another I am optimistic things will improve and, hopefully, things can proceed as normally as possible.

Edited by Obinna

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the World Health Organization recently recommended for test thresholds to be lowered. If testers adopt this, the number of false positives (and positives for that matter) should decrease. 

And should these recommendations be adopted, the risk of forfeiting matches should go down and WCQ can hopefully have a better chance of happening. I am sure the vaccine will help too (they won't hurt, right?), but one way or another I am optimistic things will improve and, hopefully, things can proceed as normally as possible.

The bigger issue is probably that rapid tests are less accurate and often have false positives. Meanwhile sports leagues use these a lot.

32 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Given the increasing likelihood this is a NA based squad this suspension is becoming more and more concerning. 

I don't see that happening. Either it will be an "A" squad, played outside Canada or called off.

The reasons for it being a NA based squad would be contradictory given that they would then allow Bermudans into the country to play. 

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don't see that happening. Either it will be an "A" squad, played outside Canada or called off.

The reasons for it being a NA based squad would be contradictory given that they would then allow Bermudans into the country to play. 

Unless I’m mistaken, seems like the likelihood is that it is played in the US?  This does not help getting our “A” squad as European clubs won’t release if there is a two week required quarantine on their return.

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Unless I’m mistaken, seems like the likelihood is that it is played in the US?  This does not help getting our “A” squad as European clubs won’t release if there is a two week required quarantine on their return.

I am just not sure I see qualifying games happening under circumstances that don’t let teams field their best players.  There is something fundamentally problematic about that approach.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am just not sure I see qualifying games happening under circumstances that don’t let teams field their best players.  There is something fundamentally problematic about that approach.   

Agreed but CONCACAF is running out of options and I feel that they are unwilling to cancel the cash cow Gold Cup.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Its in Qatar so no worries.

Edited by SpursFlu

Details of some first round matches of the Concacaf qualifiers begin to clarify. According to the president of Fepafut, all the group "D" matches scheduled for March will be played in the Dominican Republic . Due to the Covid situation, Dominica, Barbados and Anguilla will not play at home. Panama is renovating the Estadio Nacional Rommel Fernandez.

Edited by xabuep2

14 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Details of some first round matches of the Concacaf qualifiers begin to clarify. According to the president of Fepafut, all the group "D" matches scheduled for March will be played in the Dominican Republic . Due to the Covid situation, Dominica, Barbados and Anguilla will not play at home. Panama is renovating the Estadio Nacional Rommel Fernandez.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing this. This could imply that other groups might do the same thing. We shall see.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 2/2/2021 at 10:24 AM, SpursFlu said:

Its in Qatar so no worries.

Great to see all those fans having fun at the Club World Cup today. Maybe Concacaf should just do all their qualifying over there. Looks like Fury Joshua will happen in Saudi Arabia with fans in May. Lets do it in the middle east. Maybe I'll fly over and watch. Maybe I'll bring my family and just stay there

41 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Take your family to live in Saudi Arabia, I'm sure they'll have no complaints.  

My friend does contract work for their gov and just got back. Spent 2 months and said it was lovely. You would not even know anything was going on he told me. No $2000 travel tax, no wall, no kids in cages, no travel ban. And there only women have to wear a burka. Sounds like a step up

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

My friend does contract work for their gov and just got back. Spent 2 months and said it was lovely. You would not even know anything was going on he told me. No $2000 travel tax, no wall, no kids in cages, no travel ban. And there only women have to wear a burka. Sounds like a step up

I would hope some of these statements are your attempt at light humour/sarcasm.  If it is, it’s not working well.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I also have a friend that has been doing contract work in Saudi for about 5 years.  His wife went once and has refused to go again.  And on his advice I turned down contract work in Saudi.  But hey, you think things will be more free there, fill your boots.  Make sure to visit "chop chop" square, I'm sure you'll get an eyeful.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I also have a friend that has been doing contract work in Saudi for about 5 years.  His wife went once and has refused to go again.  And on his advice I turned down contract work in Saudi.  But hey, you think things will be more free there, fill your boots.  Make sure to visit "chop chop" square, I'm sure you'll get an eyeful.  

Is that Younge and Dundas?

Maybe you should have went. Sounds like you would fit right in

Edited by SpursFlu

• Admin locked this topic