The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I also have a friend that has been doing contract work in Saudi for about 5 years.  His wife went once and has refused to go again.  And on his advice I turned down contract work in Saudi.  But hey, you think things will be more free there, fill your boots.  Make sure to visit "chop chop" square, I'm sure you'll get an eyeful.  

My sister worked in Saudi as a nurse for years...when she showed me a pic of "chop chop" square and then asked me to guess what it was...well let's just say I wasn't anywhere close.🤣🤣 

14 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is an interesting yet expected development.

The bigger question for me now is if we can manage to get our full roster to the matches.

Germany are being hard-asses even for their club teams in Champions League. Leipzig is being forced to move their Feb. 16 match against Liverpool (rumoured to be going to Budapest). 

I'm just wondering what this will mean for players returning from FIFA duty. 

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

It will suck if we can’t a full squad due to restrictions. But if we are subjected to only a NA squad, I still think we should handle business no problem against the likes of Bermuda and Cayman Island’s.

I agree that we would still get the needed results.  For me the real downside is the missed opportunity to have our full squad getting to play low pressure competitive games (that by all accounts we should win) in advance of the more challenging games that will come later.  With none of the Euro-based players able to attend Camp Poutine, and the extended period with no games, these first few games "easy" games would be the best chance to develop chemistry and get used to each other again as a starting 11.  Losing that chance could hurt later on in the process.

58 minutes ago, Shway said:

It will suck if we can’t a full squad due to restrictions. But if we are subjected to only a NA squad, I still think we should handle business no problem against the likes of Bermuda and Cayman Island’s.

Do we think Bermuda with a NA based squad without Cav. will be no problem?  

31 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I like to think so but I still worry about it to be honest. A lot of Bermuda's players in Europe are in lower tiers and maybe that means the clubs are less inclined to force players to stay. Maybe I am being overly concerned though...

56 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

If Bermuda has access to their UK based players, which mean we should too then yes, I still say no problem. If their squad is local based how ours would be, I have no problem in having to go with Bair or Ricketts for one game. 

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I like to think so but I still worry about it to be honest. A lot of Bermuda's players in Europe are in lower tiers and maybe that means the clubs are less inclined to force players to stay. Maybe I am being overly concerned though...

Not really optional considering its a FIFA date meaning mandatory release. Brazil who is dealing with variants have said they will call all their players regardless of the ban/quarantining process. 

Just now, Shway said:

Not really optional considering its a FIFA date meaning mandatory release. Brazil who is dealing with variants have said they will call all their players regardless of the ban/quarantining process. 

I thought once you go down low enough in the tiers clubs are not obligated to release players for international duty. Is that accurate or no?

1 hour ago, Shway said:

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/bureau-of-the-fifa-council-extends-temporary-measures-concerning-the-release-of-

From my 2 min glance at this, the release of players for internationals has been changed so that they would not have to be released if they are subject to a period of quarantine on either end.  But someone with a keener eye can correct me.

2 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Haha I jumped outta my seat with excitement had to say something!!!

I was the same but then my Twitter feed wouldn't load! The most recent Farense match didn’t have him listed on the bench, does anyone have an update? 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/bureau-of-the-fifa-council-extends-temporary-measures-concerning-the-release-of-

From my 2 min glance at this, the release of players for internationals has been changed so that they would not have to be released if they are subject to a period of quarantine on either end.  But someone with a keener eye can correct me.

Believe a bunch of Serie A teams used this as an excuse to hold players back in the November wimdow

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Women's Curling World Championships that were supposed to be held March 19-28 in Switzerland have just been canceled.

I'd say I'm 75% certain this round of WCQ gets canceled again.

We'll see, but at this point I am more confident it happens than not, just based on the way Uncle Vic was talking in that One Soccer interview a few days ago. 

With the WHO recommending PCR test thresholds be lowered, we're going to start seeing a drop in numbers. In fact, numbers are already starting to decline all over the world. With lower numbers, we should be slowly turning the corner in all facets of life, sporting events included. 

Edited by Obinna

My far-out prediction: the Gold Cup this summer in a single US bubble location will also be the sole WCQ tournament, losing semi-finalists play for the 3rd auto and 4th playoff with the other continent. Easy solution for this mess. If Vic continues to let everything slide until the last-minute cancelations, he can sell this. In the meantime he can just politically blah, blah, blah.

Edited by beachesl

• Admin locked this topic