The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Because Canada is a risk country like the United States? 

It seems to be pretty much a foregone conclusion we will not play the Bermuda game in Canada.

It may be more beneficial to choose a safer Caribbean nation to host the game instead of the US/Florida. It may allow us to call more players.

I thought I read somewhere that French teams were keeping their female players from going to the upcoming women’s tournament. This is why Davies’ girlfriend isn’t playing I believe. You’d have to think Lille could do this to David if they want as well then.

3 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I thought I read somewhere that French teams were keeping their female players from going to the upcoming women’s tournament. This is why Davies’ girlfriend isn’t playing I believe. You’d have to think Lille could do this to David if they want as well then.

That’s a friendly tournament so we’ll have to see. 

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Our most exciting CWNT prospect and Sinclair’s heir apparent, aka Davies’ girlfriend. 

Ouch. 

I think its going to be difficult for clubs to say "no" to players leaving as Europe starts their qualifying then as well.  It will be questionable to say we are ok with our players going to European sides but not the rest of the world.  I would suspect that if they can do quarantine requirements, its incumbent on us to find a neutral venue that is not on the list of risk countries other than perhaps for the UK where we benefit by the fact the omissions mean more to Bermuda than to us.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I sooooo want these games to happen.  I know I am not alone, but man - I don’t think there have been a set of games I have wanted to happen more than these. 

I guess with that wording it's true for me too, but before March 2020 I didn't realize I even needed to have a desire for scheduled games to actually happen.

Conversely, if things had been normal for the last year and we found ourselves in this spot (basically roster excitement and the lowering of the bar to an 8 team final round rather than 6 team) I would probably be more excited for these games than any since a certain game in Honduras. But as it stands since I'm not certain the games will actually happen I haven't been looking forward to the games nearly as much as any competitive CMNT games in over a decade.

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Our most exciting CWNT prospect and Sinclair’s heir apparent, aka Davies’ girlfriend. 

Ouch. 

I’m sure he meant no disrespect. She’s a talented up and coming player in her own right, of course. She is also the girlfriend of Alphonso Davies.

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ouch. 

Unfortunately I don’t really follow CWNT at the moment. Maybe that will change in the future, but I’m not going to pretend to know all about her just to seem woke. This is the CMNT section of the forum so I assumed my post was informative enough.

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s a good sign other teams are making preparations for March. Guatemala will play their first game at home in Guatemala. 

Other than 1 player from the USL its an all domestic side.

However doing quick wiki research they don't appear to have many players abroad anyways.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Unfortunately I don’t really follow CWNT at the moment. Maybe that will change in the future, but I’m not going to pretend to know all about her just to seem woke. This is the CMNT section of the forum so I assumed my post was informative enough.

You knew enough to know she's been held back from the tournament by her club, but you don't know her name? I guess better to seem stupid than to seem woke, huh? 🙄

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

However doing quick wiki research they don't appear to have many players abroad anyways.

Not to nit pick but Darwin Lom who has a couple goals in recent friendlies plays in the NISA. I’m assuming that’s well below USL level? 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Not to nit pick but Darwin Lom who has a couple goals in recent friendlies plays in the NISA. I’m assuming that’s well below USL level? 

Ya NISA is lower than USL Championship for sure. Not sure if its on par with USL League 1.

My main point was that they don't appear to have a lot of players abroad.

5 minutes ago, An Observer said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php/articles/1104427/afc-world-cup-qualifiers-postponed-june

As predicted, Asia is postponing March matches and then playing June matches in centralised hubs.  I guess they still have enough flexibility to complete everything on time. 

Seems they will play 4 matches in June in centralised hubs but that means they won’t finish their third place playoffs until May/June 2022. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(AFC)

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Ya NISA is lower than USL Championship for sure. Not sure if its on par with USL League 1.

My main point was that they don't appear to have a lot of players abroad.

Oh yeah I thought the exact same thing. It’s mostly domestic and from what I can tell it’s their first team. 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

You knew enough to know she's been held back from the tournament by her club, but you don't know her name? I guess better to seem stupid than to seem woke, huh? 🙄

I happened to see the roster for the tournament on my Facebook page because I follow Canada soccer and checked to see if Sinclair was on it. Wondering if she’d retired, I looked at the comments, which mentioned that his girlfriend was held back along with other players in France. Didn’t know not being able to recall the name of a player I’ve never watched play made me stupid but thanks.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Wiki won’t tell you the actual truth because guys haven’t been called up in the last 12 months (imagine looking at Canada’s roster) so they won’t be listed:

Darwin Ceren - Houston
Eric Cavillo - last year was on loan to San Jose
Roberto Dominguez - FK Partizan

Is a few names I remember, I’m pretty sure there is more.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

Seems they will play 4 matches in June in centralised hubs but that means they won’t finish their third place playoffs until May/June 2022. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(AFC)

This is an interesting development. 

This is probably the absolute last time they can delay the matches without delaying the entire World Cup.

Asia can't really come up with a new format as they are in the middle of their Group Stage.

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Wiki won’t tell you the actual truth because guys haven’t been called up in the last 12 months (imagine looking at Canada’s roster) so they won’t be listed:

Darwin Ceren - Houston
Eric Cavillo - last year was on loan to San Jose
Roberto Dominguez - FK Partizan

Is a few names I remember, I’m pretty sure there is more.

You have the wrong nation my friend, he's talking about the Guatemala team. These are Salvadorans. Also FWIW, Dominguez is with Partizani Tirani in Albania not FK Partizan. Eric Cavillo is actually attached to San Jose but has never played for El Salvador.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

C'mon man, give the guy a break. Stop pretending like referring to Jordyn as his girl is some kind of cardinal sin. Do you know how many girls out there wish they could be called Phonzy's girl? ;) 

I'm sure she's proud to be his girl and he's proud to be her man, so I doubt she'd care a random poster online didn't use her name, so why do you? 🙄

Edited by Obinna

51 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I happened to see the roster for the tournament on my Facebook page because I follow Canada soccer and checked to see if Sinclair was on it. Wondering if she’d retired, I looked at the comments, which mentioned that his girlfriend was held back along with other players in France. Didn’t know not being able to recall the name of a player I’ve never watched play made me stupid but thanks.

I feel bad that you feel you need to explain yourself.  You don't need to defend yourself.  Nothing was wrong with your comment, you're not a journalist, this isn't a news report, its a casual CANMNT forum where we post our thoughts and opinions.

It's a sad day if we've reached the point where all our comments need to be reviewed and edited before posting.  A lot of us do this while taking a coffee at work, we understood the point and how it was written.

Like not following CWNT is sexist all of a sudden?  Is it racist if one follows SerieA but not Ligue1?  Is it also insulting to some if one follows NFL but not college football?  Where does it end?

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's a sad day if we've reached the point where all our comments need to be reviewed and edited before posting.

Would this really be "sad" if it happened more often in here? I know I've used the edit button quite frequently on my own posts in here.

• Admin locked this topic