The Road to Qatar.

Binky

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

It's fair to assume that 2nd ranked options were sent to the Olympic teams, and the 3rd ranked sent to backup in the WCQ

LCB:
1. Miller
2. Cornelilus
3. Kennedy

RB: 
1. Laryea
2. Brault-Guillard
3. Johnston

is the way I see it. 

I think Herdman is going to play Johnston at RB and shift Laryea to the left. I think that's why Johnston is missing from the Olympic roster. If Johnston struggles (unlikely) or gets injured we'll see Adekugbe on the left and Laryea on the right. 

So here's how I see RB right now:

1. Johnston (Laryea)
  2. Brault-Guillard
  3. Everyone else

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Herdman is going to play Johnston at RB and shift Laryea to the left. I think that's why Johnston is missing from the Olympic roster. If Johnston struggles (unlikely) or gets injured we'll see Adekugbe on the left and Laryea on the right. 

So here's how I see RB right now:

1. Johnston (Laryea)
  2. Brault-Guillard
  3. Everyone else

Good theory. 

I just don't see how Johnston is a better option than Adekugbe...or ZBG. Based on your theory, he could've done the same with ZBG.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Good theory. 

I just don't see how Johnston is a better option than Adekugbe...or ZBG. Based on your theory, he could've done the same with ZBG.

I personally like ZBG, but consider how Herdman has singled out Johnston now on a few occassions. Also consider that Johnston was playing with the "senior" team during the scrimmages, at least based on the highlights we saw. 

More importantly however, I think Herdman wants a defensive RB in that position, so that he can shore up that side while letting Laryea and Davies go forward on the left. That's just a personal theory of mine, perhaps influenced by what I want to see, but if I recall correctly Laryea was on the left during our scrimmages. So at minimum we can Herdman was taking a look at it. 

Adekugbe was with the younger group, I believe. To me that says he's going to be the backup with the senior team at the next camp. He's a reliable option who can start, but if you ask me I think we have just as good a chance seeing Laryea start on the left and Johnston on the right.

So while Adekugbe is more proven than Johnston, I think Laryea "out-of-position" on the left is not only better overall, but more threatening going forward and more able to temporarily take up midfield positions, allowing Davies to come back and defend. That's the theory anyways.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

While it would be great if the game could be in Canada, this is at least encouraging that the game will likely happen. Next we wait and see who is allowed to come play, and then we wait for the game to actually happen.

Personally, I was hoping for postponement, so that we could send the A team to the Olympic qualifiers.

But will be nice to have some matches to watch for first time in over a year.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Personally, I was hoping for postponement, so that we could send the A team to the Olympic qualifiers.

But will be nice to have some matches to watch for first time in over a year.

That still wouldn’t happen.

Players have to be released, which they wouldn’t considering the Olympics start before and finish after the international window. 

The reality is, there’s no such thing as an A team for us at the Olympics qualifiers. It’s not possible. Olympic Finals - maybe. 

But that’s a testament to where our program is. In 2015, Petrasso and Piette were our best players/the only guys who had professional minutes.

22 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Michail Antonio set to declare for Jamaica. That makes them quite a lot scarier.

If healthy, yes.  He scares some of the better centre backs in the world in that he never gives up on balls and is a match in pace and strength for many of them.  Has improved his finishing as of late, as well. 

The bad, and now contrarily good news (depend on whether I am wearing my club or country hat)  is that his hamstrings are made of silly puddy. 

18 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Antonio is the best striker in concacaf (until Jimenez returns at least). And Bailey + Antonio is serous attacking talent. They are a serious threat to beat anyone in WCQ

Definitely depends on what you determine the best. Cause a healthy Jozy is an equivalent to Michail. Concacaf is a different place is all I say.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The best strikers in CONCACAF are 1. Jimenez 2. David

Antonio would never be a starter on Lille. 

David isn’t a classic striker so I don’t even compare him to Jimenez and Antonio

also, are you saying Lille are a level too high for Antonio?? I’m not sure I would agree with that at all.

Edited by Floortom

37 minutes ago, Floortom said:

David isn’t a classic striker so I don’t even compare him to Jimenez and Antonio

also, are you saying Lille are a level too high for Antonio?? I’m not sure I would agree with that at all.

I haven't watched West Ham much this year, but I know they are having a stellar season, as are Lille (albeit in a weaker league). Who's to say how he'd do at Lille, or how David would do at West Ham. The way teams play has to be considered, but from the little I know about Antonio, he would absolutely fit Lille like a glove. Big, physical striker who can finish is basically who Yilmaz is and he still leads the team in goals despite being out for a few months now. 

• Admin locked this topic