The Road to Qatar.

Binky

I hate to say it but if that schedule happens I think almost all the games will be at BMO due to ease of travel and the geographical closeness to our European players and our destinations for the games.  Hard to make guys based in Europe fly to BC then to an away game, and back to play a third in Canada before jetting back to Europe.  Plus the CSA has no money and wouldn’t it be cheaper to base in TO?

41 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I hate to say it but if that schedule happens I think almost all the games will be at BMO due to ease of travel and the geographical closeness to our European players and our destinations for the games.  Hard to make guys based in Europe fly to BC then to an away game, and back to play a third in Canada before jetting back to Europe.  Plus the CSA has no money and wouldn’t it be cheaper to base in TO?

Out of selfishness I would love to see all the games at BMO because i'd get to go to most covid permitting. We also play quite well in Toronto

Working in a couple east coast games would be neat also 

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Turning this team back into the Toronto National Team would be a huge mistake. It's also exactly the kind of stupidity that is to be expected from the CSA, so they'll probably do just that.

12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Turning this team back into the Toronto National Team would be a huge mistake. It's also exactly the kind of stupidity that is to be expected from the CSA, so they'll probably do just that.

At the risk of being facetious (although I feel I'm actually being very realistic), beyond the convenience factor for the players (location) and the ease with which any particular city/hotel/training ground can easily implement "bubble" protocols, does it really matter?

At our most optimistic we can have the city debate at the end of June (if things go well). We need to think 100% with our COVID19 mindset for March and June.

In Republican-led Florida, the USMNT friendly this month is being hosted at Inter Miami CF Stadium. It will host 2500 fans out of a capacity of 18 000; that is just below 14% capacity. 

This pandemic is currently not on a trajectory where the risk-adverse authorities at the city and provincial levels are going to allow ~4 000 people into BMO Field in Toronto or ~7 300 in BC Place in Vancouver.

If we play in March, we are all watching these matches on TV or OneSoccer.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

36 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

At the risk of being facetious (although I feel I'm actually being very realistic), beyond the convenience factor for the players (location) and the ease with which any particular city/hotel/training ground can easily implement "bubble" protocols, does it really matter?

At our most optimistic we can have the city debate at the end of June (if things go well). We need to think 100% with our COVID19 mindset for March and June.

In Republican-led Florida, the USMNT friendly this month being hosted at Inter Miami CF Stadium will host 2500 fans out of a capacity of 18 000. That is just below 14% capacity. 

This pandemic is currently not on a trajectory where the risk-adverse authorities at the city and provincial levels are going to allow ~4 000 people into BMO Field in Toronto or ~7 300 in BC Place in Vancouver.

If we play in March, we are all watching these matches on TV or OneSoccer.

You're not wrong. With COVID-19 still in play the team will play 100% of its games in Toronto (aside from that January 2022 date). But if vaccinations follow the best-case scenario then I think we'll see the team move around later in 2021.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one partaking in a little hopeful projection.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Interestingly enough... Haiti still without a coach and they are playing in 3 months...

That can't be a good thing 

The former president of the Fédération haïtienne de football, Yves Jean-Bart, has been banned for life after 2 decades in power. He is accused (and has been found guilty by FIFA) of some pretty terrible things.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/30/haiti-fa-president-accused-of-sexually-abusing-young-female-footballers
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/04/human-rights-groups-in-haiti-call-for-inquiry-into-football-sexual-abuse-claims
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/20/yves-jean-bart-reign-abuse-haiti-fa-ended-after-two-decades-football-federation
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/20/haiti-fa-president-yves-jean-bart-banned-for-life-by-fifa-over-sexual-abuse

If the accusations are true, he should be headed to jail, but the Haitian police are not all that interested in prosecuting.

As is often the case when an emperor's reign comes to an end, there is infighting within the FHF and I don't think a coach will emerge until the dust is settled:

« les violons ne s'accordent pas ou encore les dirigeants de la FHF ne sont pas sur la même longueur d’onde en ce qui concerne le choix d’un nouveau sélectionneur, car chaque clan milite pour qu’il ait la paternité de celui qui aura pour mission de diriger l’équipe nationale »

https://lenouvelliste.com/article/223542/les-grenadiers-brillent-en-europe-mais-pas-haiti-qui-se-trouve-au-creux-de-la-vague

Well, it seems that Qatar is taking seriously its preparation for the World Cup that it will organize in 2022. I wonder if Canada, USA  and Mexico will follow its example when they are hosts in 2026 .....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/08/qatar-get-guest-spot-in-european-world-cup-qualifying-group-for-friendlies

Edited by xabuep2

I know they aren’t really in Euro qualifying, but it’s like they are trying to get into each continental championship. Obviously AFC, plus they are going to participate in CONCACAF and CONMEBOL’s championships. They just need OFC and CAF and they will have the complete set!

Sorry for double posting, but I just wanted to go over who I thought should be on the roster for the World Cup Qualifying games (Assuming our best players are all allowed to come);

This is who I would select, please feel free to give me your opinions I love going over the CMNT options, I think we have a very strong team with great depth for the first time in my lifetime.

Breakdown: 23 man roster, 3 goalies

• GK: Borjan, Crepeau, St. Clair

• RB: Laryea, Brault-Guillard, Johnston 
  • CB: Cornelius, Henry, James, Miller
  • LB: Davies, Adekugbe

• CM: Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Kaye, Osorio, Piette
  • LM: Hoilett, 
  • RM: Arfield, Buchanan

• ST: David, Cavallini, Larin

Not sure if I'm missing anyone but this is the best squad I can think of off the top of my head.. 

11 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Pretty much bang on the squad I would pick TFC2017.  The only difference is Millar for Buchanon, but only if Millar can get a good loan in 2021.

I think currently I have Buchanan ahead, I don't think he's a flash in the pan in MLS. I genuinely believe he can push on for a career in Europe or make a push for MLS MVP next season. 

Liam Millar I had ahead of Tajon a few months ago but it just goes to show how much things can change when we have multiple players playing at a high level. I think if he were to get some minutes in the Premier League or be a mainstay in a Championship side I'd put him back in the squad. Also, Theo Corbeanu can make a name for himself and in our program if he can kick start his career with the first team at Wolves which I believe he is close to doing. 

19 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Breakdown: 23 man roster, 3 goalies...

I would still add Vitoria, especially if we are trying 3 at the back with wingbacks - probably the best use of Davies as a defender against weak opposition.  Henry has been out of all the ACL games lately, hope it is not serious.  Maybe one of the Premier League Development kids if they get some first team football before then.

52 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I think currently I have Buchanan ahead, I don't think he's a flash in the pan in MLS. I genuinely believe he can push on for a career in Europe or make a push for MLS MVP next season. 

Liam Millar I had ahead of Tajon a few months ago but it just goes to show how much things can change when we have multiple players playing at a high level. I think if he were to get some minutes in the Premier League or be a mainstay in a Championship side I'd put him back in the squad. Also, Theo Corbeanu can make a name for himself and in our program if he can kick start his career with the first team at Wolves which I believe he is close to doing. 

Am I the only one not sold on Tajon yet? I’m ecstatic that he has become a good MLS player but you can’t be serious thinking he will challenge for MLS MVP.

19 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Am I the only one not sold on Tajon yet? I’m ecstatic that he has become a good MLS player but you can’t be serious thinking he will challenge for MLS MVP.

I do believe if he works hard this winter, he can do it. 

2 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

I do believe if he works hard this winter, he can do it. 

WOW.   If he works hard, he keeps his starting job, plays a full season and pots 10 goals, 10 assists and maybe he is the REVS MVP.  He isnt Villa, Vela, Poz territory yet.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

WOW.   If he works hard, he keeps his starting job, plays a full season and pots 10 goals, 10 assists and maybe he is the REVS MVP.  He isnt Villa, Vela, Poz territory yet.  

Fair enough, I believe in him. I think he'll make you a believer too. Just give him time, trust me this kid's seriously good. 

On 12/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

These applications would most likely be processed by PHAC and Sport Canada in a matter of days once an organization has a plan that has been  agreed upon by other levels of government.

I was skeptical but it looks like you are right and Canadian Heritage (Sport Canada), PHAC and the relevant municipal and provincial authorities are capable of moving quickly if they want to.

Despite the growing number of COVID cases in Calgary, Curling Canada have been given the metaphorical green light to host the Men's World Championship in April 2021 along with some other non-international events.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling/canada-curling-calgary-hub-1.5793623
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling/canada-curling-calgary-hub-punishment-heroux-1.5832584
http://worldcurling.org/events/wmcc2021/

Their thing is a 13-team, 9 day tournament.

It makes me think that the CSA should get approval to host a single match in March if they wish to.

Even without a crowd, it's better to freeze those Bermuda players at BMO Field in March instead of playing them on neutral ground in the States.

EDIT: Plus imagine the bad press for the Government of Canada would get if a bunch of curlers from around the world are allowed to come to Canada and play but Canada's Lou Marsh winner isn't allowed to play one match in March on home soil.

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I was skeptical but it looks like you are right and Canadian Heritage (Sport Canada), PHAC and the relevant municipal and provincial authorities are capable of moving quickly if they want to.

Despite the growing number of COVID cases in Calgary, Curling Canada have been given the metaphorical green light to host the Men's World Championship in April 2021 along with some other non-international events.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling/canada-curling-calgary-hub-1.5793623
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling/canada-curling-calgary-hub-punishment-heroux-1.5832584
http://worldcurling.org/events/wmcc2021/

Their thing is a 13-team, 9 day tournament.

It makes me think that the CSA should get approval to host a single match in March if they wish to.

Even without a crowd, it's better to freeze those Bermuda players at BMO Field in March instead of playing them on neutral ground in the States.

EDIT: Plus imagine the bad press for the Government of Canada would get if a bunch of curlers from around the world are allowed to come to Canada and play but Canada's Lou Marsh winner isn't allowed to play one match in March on home soil.

I cannot imagine any significant bad press about this, but even if there was I cannot imagine the Government of Canada would care. How many Canadians even follow sports, let alone the Lou Marsh award or Canadian soccer for that matter?

We are a fringe, of a fringe, of a fringe of the population. 

9 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

US college drafted players who take 2 years to be noticed in MLS don't follow the trajectory of MLS MVP. Plus he's playing fullback, no backline players have been MLS MVP. 

If we use Laryea's progression, it's going to take Buchanan till 2022 to even be considered a Revs MVP. 

There won’t be 23 man squads anymore as they have evolved to 30 man rosters due to the 3 game windows (at least for this WC) Maybe we’ll see them back solely for the Gold Cup.

I just hope we have the budget to send the allocated amount of guys for WCQs. As rosters will be heavily rotated, reason why if the January camp happens it’ll be a last opportunity for some guys to show there worth. 

With that in mind, I’ll expand on @TFC2017 roster:

• GK: Borjan, Crepeau, St. Clair, Leutwiler

• CB: Vitoria, Cornelius, Henry, James, Miller,
  • LB: Adekugbe, Kennedy

• CM: Hutchinson, Arfield, Eustaquio, Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Wootherspoon, Okello
  • LM: Hoilett, Brym
  • RM: Davies, Buchanan

• ST: David, Cavallini, Larin, Akindele

—————

Everything could change if some guys get needed moves to first teams or if they start their seasons good. 

14 hours ago, Shway said:

There won’t be 23 man squads anymore as they have evolved to 30 man rosters due to the 3 game windows (at least for this WC) Maybe we’ll see them back solely for the Gold Cup.

I just hope we have the budget to send the allocated amount of guys for WCQs. As rosters will be heavily rotated, reason why if the January camp happens it’ll be a last opportunity for some guys to show there worth. 

With that in mind, I’ll expand on @TFC2017 roster:

• GK: Borjan, Crepeau, St. Clair, Leutwiler

• CB: Vitoria, Cornelius, Henry, James, Miller,
  • LB: Adekugbe, Kennedy

• CM: Hutchinson, Arfield, Eustaquio, Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Wootherspoon, Okello
  • LM: Hoilett, Brym
  • RM: Davies, Buchanan

• ST: David, Cavallini, Larin, Akindele

—————

Everything could change if some guys get needed moves to first teams or if they start their seasons good. 

Pretty good ... maybe Millar for Brym? Maybe Fraser for Okello?

• Admin locked this topic