The Road to Qatar.

Binky

The covid vaccines so far from western firms or China aren't as effective for no or mild symptom covid. It's 80/90%+ effective for severe covid but only around 50% for less severe covid. Will have to see how effective J&J vaccine will be.

So, many US states will continue to allow people in stadiums but having 50%+ full in the summer for the Gold Cup would seem risky still. Though, mostly an issue for Mexico & US matches only.

I hope they have a back-up plan... they may have to rethink the first and second round format.  I’m sure they want to keep the Octagonal in tact.  Perhaps use the June window to weed out the minnows (rank 11 - 37) and move to combine qualifying with the 16 team Gold Cup.  Start the Gold Cup as a tiered tournament... Top 8 teams play in 2 groups of 4, bottom 8 in 2 groups of 4 in a round robin group stage.  Bottom 1 or 2 teams in the two Tier A groups compete in a crossover with the Top 1 or 2 teams in Tier B to decide the remaining 2 or 4 teams to go to the Octagonal.

20 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I'm getting skeptical of the March window.  These travel restrictions don't look to be ending anytime soon.

I'm even more certain the Gold Cup will be delayed a year.  There is no way CONCACAF would hold it without full stadiums.  They need the money

I'm with you on this. I think they will need to cancel the Gold Cup and use that window for WCQ.

By the way Auckland FC just pulled out of the FIFA Club World Cup. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I'm with you on this. I think they will need to cancel the Gold Cup and use that window for WCQ.

By the way Auckland FC just pulled out of the FIFA Club World Cup. 

Thats more likely because they had to cancel their car wash and bottle drive that typically funds that annual adventure 

After just seeing the story of 72 tennis players now in a 14-day quarantine because of 5 positive cases on flights, I'm also skeptical of how much things can really improve in 2 months. It seems like CONCACAF has pretty much maxed out the windows they have available, so I don't think much can be moved around. Maybe it does come down to cancelling the Gold Cup and using that timeframe for WCQ.

The last card FIFA has to clear calendar space is to move the Intercontinental playoff back to September 2022.  That is the last window before the start of the World Cup.  That would give CONCACAF 4 more dates in June 2022.  Remember, it's not just CONCACAF that is pressed.  Asia has no room left to budge either.  This March window coming up is a breaking point.

Given the rumours of an Olympic cancellation, I won't be surprised if there are more dominoes left to fall in football. Will UEFA be willing to sacrifice ticket revenue this summer and hold the Euro behind closed doors? Or maybe they push it back another year.  Same with the Copa America and Gold Cup.  Then would that push the World Cup back a year? At this point, I wouldn't be against it.  We could then be spoiled with two World Cups in 2 and a half years

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Former GG (no, not Payette! :D ) but rather Michaëlle Jean will take charge of the FHF. Why she wants that job is beyond me but she will certainly clean up the mess that is that place.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/amp/1765781/soccer-michaelle-jean-federation-haiti-gouverneure-generale-canada

Two football federations are now led by Canadians!

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Remember, it's not just CONCACAF that is pressed.  Asia has no room left to budge either.  This March window coming up is a breaking point.

Living in HK, I also think its highly unlikely that Asia plays in March.  They have been much much tighter around border crossings than elsewhere in the world.  Even if Concacaf plays at neutral sites, I don't see Asia playing which means either FIFA needs to clear calendar space as you suggest or Asia needs to rejig their qualifying which is more difficult as they have already started.  Or they move Qatar to 2023?  I suspect FIFA will do everything possible to not move it so freeing up calendar space makes sense

4 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The last card FIFA has to clear calendar space is to move the Intercontinental playoff back to September 2022.  That is the last window before the start of the World Cup.  That would give CONCACAF 4 more dates in June 2022.  Remember, it's not just CONCACAF that is pressed.  Asia has no room left to budge either.  This March window coming up is a breaking point.

Given the rumours of an Olympic cancellation, I won't be surprised if there are more dominoes left to fall in football. Will UEFA be willing to sacrifice ticket revenue this summer and hold the Euro behind closed doors? Or maybe they push it back another year.  Same with the Copa America and Gold Cup.  Then would that push the World Cup back a year? At this point, I wouldn't be against it.  We could then be spoiled with two World Cups in 2 and a half years

Concacaf could cancel the Gold Cup and use that window if they are desperate.

By the way there is already talk of UEFA making contingency plans to host this year's Euro in one country.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Concacaf could cancel the Gold Cup and use that window if they are desperate.

I have doubts it's that simple.  There's a 4 date FIFA window in June and the Gold Cup takes place afterward in July.  The Gold Cup is outside the FIFA window and can only mandate player release due to its status as a Confederation Championship.  Think of AFCON that's played in January outside of FIFA dates but player release is still mandated. 

If the Gold Cup is replaced with more qualifiers, would the same player release rules apply?  I'm not certain they would because now you're talking about qualifiers played outside of a FIFA window as opposed to a Confederation Championship with mandatory release.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

5 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I have doubts it's that simple.  There's a 4 date FIFA window in June and the Gold Cup takes place afterward in July.  The Gold Cup is outside the FIFA window and can only mandate player release due to its status as a Confederation Championship.  Think of AFCON that's played in January outside of FIFA dates but player release is still mandated. 

If the Gold Cup is replaced with more qualifiers, would the same player release rules apply?  I'm not certain they would because now you're talking about qualifiers played outside of a FIFA window as opposed to a Confederation Championship with mandatory release.  

For the Asian Champions League the Group Stage will be played in a bubble. They haven't said anything about WCQ though 

• Admin locked this topic