Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry, why are you posting these articles about the CPL (as in Caribbean Premier League - cricket)?  

I know everyone is kind of ticked off by the new Subcription fee for The Island Games. But you've gotta love what OneSoccer is doing here. The investment is real and meaningful. DAZN is a better value

My take on it (FWIW) is this: For years, we have wanted a decent quality, reliable stream to view Canadian games.  Yes, that was in the context of CMNT games, but now that we have our own league,

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ted said:

I pay about $250 to have pro soccer in my city, and that is just for my season ticket in the supporters end. Why would I pay additional money when I watch home games in the stadium and away games at the pub (where I spend minimum $30-40 each game).

You might not, but why make a damaging comment suggesting the product isn’t worth even $50. We need people buying the subscriptions just like we need people in the stadium. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, narduch said:

i hope One Soccer knows how to navigate the CRTC. You can't just wish up a channel in this country.

They should buy Euro World Sport from TLN. That is a waste of channel. Can't believe that channel still exists.

This might better explain the 'free' subscriptions to Season Ticket holders.

Wow that still exists lol , what channel is that on , didn’t realize that that channel was still on. By the way having OneSoccer on cable would be great but you would think that DAZN would make to regular cable before one OneSoccer just based on the popularity of the DAZN .

Edited by SoccMan
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Wow that is shocking. That is gross mismanagement I have no idea why the league would ever let this happen. Second game of a new leagues championship and they decline to air it on National TV live??? All I can say is wow

Unless they saw it as a way to get a whole new group of people to try the free month (or subscribe). I agree, it isn't the best for the league, but MediaPro isn't CPL, and while the two are intricately tied together for another 9 years, they may occasionally make decisions in their self interest that are not the optimal strategy for CPL.  By showing the first game on CBC and keeping the second on the subscription-only platform, they may have been hoping to get people hooked.

I may be wrong, of course - it just seems like every decision OS makes is taken in the most negative light lately.  The fact that subscriptions are being given to season ticket holders is seen as a sign that the end is nigh rather than maybe a second year strategy to really generate interest in the platform.  Keeping the second leg of the finals on their streaming platform is gross mismanagement rather than an intentional strategy to drum up business.

Maybe it is the worst case scenario, and these guys have no idea what they are doing or are in way over their heads.  But since they have grown a massive international media company based on their soccer business savvy, I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see something concrete that tells me they don't have a clue. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought their strategy was to sell the games to tv broadcasters. Not just to increase subscriptions. That’s what they’ve done elsewhere. If they set the precedent of giving away the biggest matches for free, they will lose all negotiating power.

I don’t understand this strategy if they plan on starting their own channel next season though. Would they still be looking to sell the rights to other networks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I thought their strategy was to sell the games to tv broadcasters. Not just to increase subscriptions. That’s what they’ve done elsewhere. If they set the precedent of giving away the biggest matches for free, they will lose all negotiating power.

I don’t understand this strategy if they plan on starting their own channel next season though. Would they still be looking to sell the rights to other networks?

I am not sure this was ever identified as their sole strategy - unless I am missing something (entirely possible).  In fact, it would seem like a waste to develop a robust streaming platform if your actual plan was to just be a seller of rights.  With them securing rights to other leagues (like Liga MX), it seems like they want to be more of a major player in the market, rather than a group that just focuses on peddling CPL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So this will now be the challenge for One Soccer...the CPL season is over, Canadian international matches are fairly rare and Liga MX is an interesting product (but personally of only minor interest), how do they get subscribers until March/April?  I paid for a year of OS this season because it was Year 1 of the CPL.  When it comes time to renew, will I do it?  At this point and without significant improvements to functionality and content, the answer is no.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I plan on dropping it for a couple months after the game on November 15th (and maybe after a rewatch if the result is as good as the last Canada/US game).

I didn't get a year subscription because they called it a "Season" subscription in those early days, and didn't provide any information on what "season" meant. It worked out so it would be more expensive than going monthly for just the CPL season, so although I was pretty sure it was yearly, I didn't do it. I think I even sent them an email to get clarification that was never responded to.

However, my plan is to get a year subscription when things start up again next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will renew.  The ability to watch the CNL games each window adds value for me - as does the chance to watch Puebla (and Cruz Azul if they ever play Eustaquio).  Plus any home national team friendlies.  Just kidding...

Last year CPL started  in April.  April to Nov is 8 months.  If you plan to subscribe just for CPL content, a monthly sub adds up to $80, or $70 if you want to play the calendar.

Bottom line for me is the next few months are just bonus content that I will get some value from.  That (I think) will include the latter stages of the CNL, which will be must-see TV for me.  Plus it is my way of directly supporting the league in a non-team market.

I am even thinking of getting an HFX season ticket just because of the reduced price (once the $75 of OS cost is factored in, since I would spend that anyway).   A season ticket in the cheap seats is $326.  If i am spending the $75 anyway, the cost to me is about $250.  That isn't a bad value proposition. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Wow that is shocking. That is gross mismanagement I have no idea why the league would ever let this happen. Second game of a new leagues championship and they decline to air it on National TV live??? All I can say is wow

The cbc guys tweet is just one side of the story, would be interesting to hear Mediapro's point of view as well.

We don't know what the negotiations for the second game airing live on cbc may have entailed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I will renew.  The ability to watch the CNL games each window adds value for me - as does the chance to watch Puebla (and Cruz Azul if they ever play Eustaquio).  Plus any home national team friendlies.  Just kidding...

Last year CPL started  in April.  April to Nov is 8 months.  If you plan to subscribe just for CPL content, a monthly sub adds up to $80, or $70 if you want to play the calendar.

Bottom line for me is the next few months are just bonus content that I will get some value from.  That (I think) will include the latter stages of the CNL, which will be must-see TV for me.  Plus it is my way of directly supporting the league in a non-team market.

I am even thinking of getting an HFX season ticket just because of the reduced price (once the $75 of OS cost is factored in, since I would spend that anyway).   A season ticket in the cheap seats is $326.  If i am spending the $75 anyway, the cost to me is about $250.  That isn't a bad value proposition. 

 

 

I've been on the monthly and after November will pay the $75 for the next year.

Works out to $6.25 per month which is peanuts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

54,000 average is not bad for a start up league. 

One Soccer really needs to work to get back onto CBC, and try to make the broadcasts more consistent. 

For comparison sake MLS ratings aren't much higher. It's hard to find 2019 ratings but this article from 2017 has some.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/baseball-sports-pmn/toronto-fc-success-drives-up-ratings-while-struggling-jays-numbers-drop

Considering how poor TFC was for most of the regular season and the post Giovinco buzz kill, plus the situation in Vancouver I would bet those numbers dropped this year. Although there must be a playoff spike for TFC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...