Tajon Buchanan

nolando

58 minutes ago, Shway said:

RW who plays RB....he's a perfect ingredient for Simeones recipe.

Maybe Brugge understand a sale is coming and are playing him at RB with Atletico in mind.

Either way, would be a great move. Atleti were one of the clubs Tajon played against in CL. If all goes according to plan, it would really be a textbook example of getting exposure from European football. I recall some people wanted to Augsburg move instead of Brugge because Bundesliga is stronger than Belgium, but does he get Atleti interest playing for Augsburg? Food for thought.

Tajon is a very interesting mix of talent and grit. Seems the perfect for Simeone.

Edited by Obinna

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe Brugge understand a sale is coming and are playing him at RB with Atletico in mind.

Either way, would be a great move. Atleti were one of the clubs Tajon played against in CL. If all goes according to plan, it would really be a textbook example of getting exposure from European football. I recall some people wanted to Augsburg move instead of Brugge because Bundesliga is stronger than Belgium, but does he get Atleti interest playing for Augsburg? Food for thought.

Tajon is a very interesting mix of talent and grit. Seems the perfect for Simeone.

Yea for me, I just hate how he's being played at fullback. 
The skills he displayed at the World Cup showed he's an attacking player.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yannick Carrasco chose to go to the Saudis with the transfer window already closing, giving Atlético no time to look for the replacement. So they are stuck. 

Reports in Spain, which came out 2 days ago (like this one), say it is for January, and that it would likely be a loan with a buy option at the end of the season. 

https://okfichajes.com/laliga/2023-09-05/atletico-tajon-buchanan/

In any case, already on the 1st the M Veth story was cited in the Spanish press, but then too they said At Madrid did not have the money to outright buy, and less so with the window closing fast.

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/atletico-tendria-sustituto-carrasco-20230901.html

Of course it will depend how things pan out over these months. If Atlético find a replacement they are happy with. How Tajon's season goes, because it is hard to be showcased for months on end, and your performances don't only depend on you. Then, having announced this, there could be rival bids. 

I personally don't see how Tajon going away on loan benefits Bruges at all, since they are fighting for a Champions spot once again. What they would want is a sale, outright, if not, what is in it for them?

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I think simeone has switched formations over the years. He does seem to like 5 atb which suits buchanan better than a traditional FB role. maybe UT can comment on this better?

At Madrid has been a classic 4-4-2 for most of the time, now they seem to be using a false back 5 and pushing the outside guys, wingbacks if you prefer. Or one of them.

I saw them play a lot way back when with Juanfran as the right back and Correa or whoever in front of him, Lucas Hernández on the other side behind Carrasco, Godin and Giménez the CBs in the middle.

The fullbacks had limited freedom of movement and had positional rigour, Juanfran was a model FB in terms of position, reading the play, holding. 

Last year vs. stronger teams it was often 4-1-4-1, Reinildo, David's former teammate, the left back, Nahuel on the right. Morata alone up top. Vs lesser rivals or at home, maybe Griezmann up top with Morata.

Vs Bruges at home, that scoreless draw, it did look like a 5-3-2, but Saul Ñiguez was really a mid going forward, Nahuel the right back. Vs Bruges away, when they lost 2-0, it was a 4-4-2, Nahuel the right back, Reinildo the left, Carrasco in front of him. 

Now they've had Carrasco as the left WB and Nahuel Molina the Argentine international, or Azpilicueta, on the other side. Azpilicueta is not really a WB though. 

So what a mess--I reviewed most of this to get it right--but the point is that Simeone will shift the lineup, and sometimes you have stay home FBs, and sometimes you put guys in the midfield who can push up the wings to support the strikers, like Morata, who have little if no wing play.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So what a mess--I reviewed most of this to get it right--but the point is that Simeone will shift the lineup, and sometimes you have stay home FBs, and sometimes you put guys in the midfield who can push up the wings to support the strikers, like Morata, who have little if no wing play.

Seems to support the theory Brugge is playing him at RB in anticipation of a sale to Atletico - or maybe a loan with a buy. If they play mainly with four at the back, he needs to get more experience playing there. We know he can play as a wing back already and a winger, so if Atleti do get him they get a more versatile player once he gets the fullback reps. What do you think?

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Seems to support the theory Brugge is playing him at RB in anticipation of a sale to Atletico - or maybe a loan with a buy. If they play mainly with four at the back, he needs to get more experience playing there. We know he can play as a wing back already and a winger, so if Atleti do get him they get a more versatile player once he gets the fullback reps. What do you think?

I'm not sure. If he's a replacement for Carrasco that is an attacking wide player who usually does not play fullback but could be a wingback. And who scores. 

In any case, more the argument for versatility than to be a set RB or LB.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Wonder if he’ll come or if they’ll push for him to stay with Brugge and make sure the hamstrings 100%? Might rather he not risk it for a friendly?

Something to consider for sure. I feel like this has happened multiple times with Buchanan where he fully recovers ahead of a window and he gets called, so I am basing it on that. He's pretty important to the team. Maybe he comes but doesn't start?